Offseason 2022

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not quite sure how hiring a GM relates to what essentially comes down to Krzyzewski screwing over Tommy Amaker as his successor.

Just pointing out there seems to be a rift in the Duke family... 

By the way I agree with you I just thought a kid might not see it that way unless some of the recent Duke guys in the league voiced concerns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just thought having a GM with Nike and NBA ties would help continue the one and done basketball factory.  Having Scheyer as coach gives K an excuse to stay close as Amaker is a veteran coach and probably would prefer K stay in the distance. I would think the family that mattered were the  guys in the NBA now.

It might, but I think both Duke and Kentucky are seeing that sustainable success is difficult if you're recruiting those types of players.

I think @Hoosierinbham had a good point in that some coaches recruiting against Scheyer are going to point out that as much as Duke likes to talk "family" and "brotherhood" the guy who had been a Duke assistant for 9 years before getting extensive D1 coaching experience at Seton Hall, Michigan, and Harvard, got passed over for a guy that had never been a head coach at the D1 level (although I know Scheyer did coach in Israel).

@The Daily Hoosier's take on Maryland.

The Terps have a few nice pieces in Donta Scott, Hakim Hart, and Julian Reese. I think Reese in particular can be a star in the league if he puts in the work. He's got the talent.

I also think redshirt freshman Ike Cornish might be a guy to watch.

Kevin Willard is a solid coach. A few in this returning group didn't play well for Turgeon or Manning. Maybe he can get something out of them. 

Edited by IUFLA

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just thought having a GM with Nike and NBA ties would help continue the one and done basketball factory.  Having Scheyer as coach gives K an excuse to stay close as Amaker is a veteran coach and probably would prefer K stay in the distance. I would think the family that mattered were the  guys in the NBA now.

Now they can legally pay players like Zion…..

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, IUFLA said:

Trouble ahead in Durham?  

Xavier Booker might want to take a look... 

if it was any other coach and school this would be a much bigger story. 

It sounds like Amaker expected an hour offer and may have even gotten one from someone at Duke. When K found out he shut it down and made sure they hired someone that would let him maintain some control and influence. 
There has to be a ton of pressure on Scheyer. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

There has to be a ton of pressure on Scheyer.

I've lost track, but I believe he has nine 5-star commits in the next two classes.  With the #1 ranked class both years so far.  And 2024 looks good for them, too.

If anything, he's recruiting even better than K did.  We'll see if it translates to wins or titles, but it usually does eventually. 

Amaker hasn't been part of Duke for 25 years.  I doubt kids even know who he is. 

10 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know almost no one will agree with this, BUT... i have always thought it was ridiculous to have a flopping rule.  seems awful hard to trust an official's judgment on whether a guy exaggerates a fall, etc. on the other hand, if a player does it well enough to fool an official, isn't that on the official and just a smart play by the player?  like i say, i know i am by myself on this one, but just how i feel about it.  

I mean, that's the problem with the charge rule in the first place: too reliant on the fallible judgment of an official. Flopping gets rewarded more often than not, and there's no real penalty for the attempt so of course it's become more and more a thing.

My preference would be to just ban the charge because officials can't be trusted. Mark Titus had been on this for years. Stop rewarding players who make no attempt at a defensive play. If that's not going to happen, then penalize flopping. Sure, it's still in the hands of an official to make the call, but at least now they have a tool to punish unsuccessful attempts. There's finally some risk to consider, not just reward. It's not a perfect solution, but I think a flopping rule will have a positive effect .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I mean, that's the problem with the charge rule in the first place: too reliant on the fallible judgment of an official. Flopping gets rewarded more often than not, and there's no real penalty for the attempt so of course it's become more and more a thing.

My preference would be to just ban the charge because officials can't be trusted. Mark Titus had been on this for years. Stop rewarding players who make no attempt at a defensive play. If that's not going to happen, then penalize flopping. Sure, it's still in the hands of an official to make the call, but at least now they have a tool to punish unsuccessful attempts. There's finally some risk to consider, not just reward. It's not a perfect solution, but I think a flopping rule will have a positive effect .

Taking a charge is a defensive play. The problem is the arc because that is all the ref looks at.  If he is out of the arc it will be called a charge even if he wasn't there in time.

My main question is what's the difference in taking a charge and flopping?  Unless the offensive player is a bull in a china shop or clearly pushing off, isn't the defensive player selling the push/shove/charge 9 times out of 10?

Can the defender stop falling on the ground and take the hit like a man, claiming their position and stay there unless clearly moved off of it by a charging offensive player? 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Taking a charge is a defensive play. The problem is the arc because that is all the ref looks at.  If he is out of the arc it will be called a charge even if he wasn't there in time.

You need the arc though. While it's not perfect, the game is better with the arc. Before the arc officials would call ridiculous charges with the defensive player essentially standing under the rim. 

Those 'under the rim' charges were way worse that the unintended results of the arc. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

My main question is what's the difference in taking a charge and flopping?  Unless the offensive player is a bull in a china shop or clearly pushing off, isn't the defensive player selling the push/shove/charge 9 times out of 10?

Can the defender stop falling on the ground and take the hit like a man, claiming their position and stay there unless clearly moved off of it by a charging offensive player? 

Flopping can happen at other times and not just when attempting to take a charge. It also happens away from the ball and offensive players sometimes do it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  XJ is going to have to get out of that head flinging habit.  

I doubt this rule actually changes much. The refs haven't done a great job of enforcing the flopping time even even ask they had to initially do was give a warning. I think they'll be even more reluctant to immediately start giving technicals. Except for the officials that love to be the center of attention. Those guys will probably abuse this rule but only call it at pivotal points if the game. 

@The Daily Hoosier's take on Michigan 

Probably the biggest question mark in the Big 10 at this point. A lot of prognosticators overrated the Wolverines last year, and some are leaning that way again. Dickinson is a talented kid, but if he doesn't get much help, he'll be cursing his decision to not stay in the draft...

And I love Mike's take of the Howard era... Spot on... 

• Like 2