Offseason 2022

13 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

You're higher on Smith than I am. He's listed at 5'10", 165 lb which means he's probably more like 5'9", maybe even 5'8". He's the type of player that might be good his junior or senior year but I wouldn't expect much from him this year or next. 

I hope you are correct. Whole lot of Jordy Hulls in that young man. Not quite the shooter Jordy was at that age but not far off. He won't have to score a lot.  Will probably be thrown to the wolves and will be fine by time BIG play starts. In past years I would say he is the guy that will be the thorn in IU side for 4 years but that's because I have not liked our roster. I love what we have and where we are headed so Smith won't be that guy I wish we had landed. Not that I would not take him in a heart beat but with XJ, JHS, and Cupps we are pretty pretty good at that ppsition

• Like 1

Lunardi has us a #4 seed in his latest bracket, the highest of any Big Ten team.  He has 8 teams from the conference making it (and that' excludes Wisconsin), but the next highest seeds after us are Illinois and Michigan as 6's.  

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-projecting-2023-march-madness-men-field

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

maybe we should start a Purdue/Illinois thread just for the people who like to talk about them so that people who don't care at all don't need to read about them?  or maybe those schools should start their own message boards?  maybe they already have one?  i wouldn't know because i don't care.  

Could we use @Purdue7 as our mentor for navigating the perils Hammer and Rails?

15 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hope you are correct. Whole lot of Jordy Hulls in that young man. Not quite the shooter Jordy was at that age but not far off. He won't have to score a lot.  Will probably be thrown to the wolves and will be fine by time BIG play starts. In past years I would say he is the guy that will be the thorn in IU side for 4 years but that's because I have not liked our roster. I love what we have and where we are headed so Smith won't be that guy I wish we had landed. Not that I would not take him in a heart beat but with XJ, JHS, and Cupps we are pretty pretty good at that ppsition

Better athlete than Hulls….hopefully as good a shooter and leader 

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lunardi has us a #4 seed in his latest bracket, the highest of any Big Ten team.  He has 8 teams from the conference making it (and that' excludes Wisconsin), but the next highest seeds after us are Illinois and Michigan as 6's.  

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-projecting-2023-march-madness-men-field

Seems accurate until Woody decides to bring in some shooters.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We can develop shooting, DBM. 

Keegan Murray jumped from 30% as a freshman to 40% as a sophomore 

EJ Liddell went from 19%, to 34% to 37% in his 3 years at OSU 

Ron Harper Jr went from 28% as a freshman to 40% as a senior

They can and do improve as they mature... 

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Where are Joe's Hawks?  

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We can develop shooting, DBM. 

We don’t even need to be an elite shooting team to be an elite team. We need a 1-2 percent bump as a team to be right where we need to be in terms of percentage. I wouldn’t mind a higher volume of threes though. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Keegan Murray jumped from 30% as a freshman to 40% as a sophomore 

EJ Liddell went from 19%, to 34% to 37% in his 3 years at OSU 

Ron Harper Jr went from 28% as a freshman to 40% as a senior

They can and do improve as they mature... 

It's a skill that is being developed quite often, just not under Archie Miller. 

Agree with the general premise "we need better shooters".. but, we weren't fixing that 100% in 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

We don’t even need to be an elite shooting team to be an elite team. We need a 1-2 percent bump as a team to be right where we need to be in terms of percentage. I wouldn’t mind a higher volume of threes though. 

Hey, now we're talking!

• Like 1