Offseason 2022

On 6/14/2022 at 11:24 PM, go_iu_bb said:

You're higher on Smith than I am. He's listed at 5'10", 165 lb which means he's probably more like 5'9", maybe even 5'8". He's the type of player that might be good his junior or senior year but I wouldn't expect much from him this year or next. 

He’s 6’0 180 lol. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He’s 6’0 180 lol. 

I was going off 247. I don't care enough to hunt around to see if that is up-to-date or not. /shrug 

Maybe if PU has him listed at 6'0" the 5'10" might actually be accurate.

https://247sports.com/player/braden-smith-46099843/

He's still small. Decent athlete but an incredible athlete. If your season is dependent on him coming in and having an immediate impact you're probably in trouble. I think he'll be good in a few years but not now.

20 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I was going off 247. I don't care enough to hunt around to see if that is up-to-date or not. /shrug 

Maybe if PU has him listed at 6'0" the 5'10" might actually be accurate.

https://247sports.com/player/braden-smith-46099843/

He's still small. Decent athlete but an incredible athlete. If your season is dependent on him coming in and having an immediate impact you're probably in trouble. I think he'll be good in a few years but not now.

From day 1 I wanted Smith as a Hoosier and I have always been high on him.  Under normal circumstances I would agree he would be brought along slowly and by time he is a Junior be very good. Cannot measure his BBall IQ nor his heart and work ethic. FIrst half of the season will be rough, he should be solid the rest of the way and next year be a very good player for them. 

I will gladly eat crow but I would bet that he will lead them in scoring in more than 1 game this year. He will have a 5 or 6 made 3 point game a couple of times. I hope not against IU unless its just mop up time after we run them out the gym

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

From day 1 I wanted Smith as a Hoosier and I have always been high on him.  Under normal circumstances I would agree he would be brought along slowly and by time he is a Junior be very good. Cannot measure his BBall IQ nor his heart and work ethic. FIrst half of the season will be rough, he should be solid the rest of the way and next year be a very good player for them. 

I will gladly eat crow but I would bet that he will lead them in scoring in more than 1 game this year. He will have a 5 or 6 made 3 point game a couple of times. I hope not against IU unless its just mop up time after we run them out the gym

I like him and wanted him to get an IU offer. However, even then it wasn't with the expectation that he would do much his first couple of years. I just don't think he'll be that good his freshman year.

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I like him and wanted him to get an IU offer. However, even then it wasn't with the expectation that he would do much his first couple of years. I just don't think he'll be that good his freshman year.

Usually I would agree but with no guards ahead of him. He will be solid to good this year IMO

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/06/16/big-ten-announces-mens-basketball-conference-opponents-for-2022-23-season/?fbclid=IwAR15yBcgcaQ6af0E2jBcUywLrJcDqPQtaSs07kPFymsfcNszZ6vaK5R_s74

IU opponents set for next season. 
Home: Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Away: Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State
Home/Away: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers

Personally I think it’s a decent draw. However, living in Maryland I might be biased since I can go to some away games. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/06/16/big-ten-announces-mens-basketball-conference-opponents-for-2022-23-season/?fbclid=IwAR15yBcgcaQ6af0E2jBcUywLrJcDqPQtaSs07kPFymsfcNszZ6vaK5R_s74

IU opponents set for next season. 
Home: Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Away: Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State
Home/Away: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers

Personally I think it’s a decent draw. However, living in Maryland I might be biased since I can go to some away games. 

So we only draw 3 of what are thought to be the consensus bottom 4 (Nebraska, Penn St, Minnesota, Northwestern) once and the consensus top 4 (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, MSU) twice...

It could be a little easier but as Clif Marshall says, iron sharpens iron... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So we only draw 3 of what are thought to be the consensus bottom 4 (Nebraska, Penn St, Minnesota, Northwestern) once and the consensus top 4 (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, MSU) twice...

It could be a little easier but as Clif Marshall says, iron sharpens iron... 

Seems like our schedule last year IIRC. 

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

For the Reneau wont get many mins. crowd. If he doesn't its only because CMW hates playing freshmen.

Woodson can't hate playing freshmen in 2022.  It's just not a thing in college basketball.  JHS will start.  Reneau would start if it weren't for the unique situation of Race and TJD both coming back.  I am curious how all 3 of them will be happy with their playing time though.  Throw in JG, and I am really stumped.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Indykev said:

For the Reneau wont get many mins. crowd. If he doesn't its only because CMW hates playing freshmen.

I said a while back that when I watched Montverde play, Malik was always the most natural basketball player on the floor. He has that basketball instinct that you just can't teach... 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Shoot now y’all know who I really am. Oh well. He hasn’t been this excited about an upcoming season since 2012….

Great picture and you guys look good.  A lot of red on and none of it is IU!  Before I opened it, I thought for sure that’s what you both were wearing.  Lol.  Glad to hear Don is as excited as the fan base.  

Bummer to hear about TG’s surgery.  He throws his body around as much as anyone we have had.  Tough kid and one of my favorites.  That sucks because I was hoping he’d have all this time to put up jump shots and get his percentage up a bit.  Best wishes on a quick recovery.  

As for other guys, I am somewhere between expecting and hopeful that Bates takes a huge jump.  There is no reason why he can’t play at both ends.  Get that handle locked down and take guys off the bounce, work on getting his shot off effectively at this level, and take defense super seriously.  He’s a rangy guy and there is no reason why he should not be effective on D.  On offense, put XJ on him and make him bring it up and drive on him, get in the lane, and make him shoot with him closing on him.   Bates could be huge to our upside this season.  

An improved Bates and Galloway being healthy all season would do wonders for our wing play.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

One more thing. These guys can have very spirited practices all summer.  Lot of veteran leaders and guys who play the right way.  They have been around.  They’ve been in Coach’s system.  They know what they need to do and exactly where they need to be with their games during the season.  The vets can bring the young guys along.  This can be very productive off-season.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Bummer to hear about TG’s surgery.  He throws his body around as much as anyone we have had.  Tough kid and one of my favorites.  That sucks because I was hoping he’d have all this time to put up jump shots and get his percentage up a bit.  Best wishes on a quick recovery.  

What Surgery did he have?