Offseason 2022

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Bummer to hear about TG’s surgery.  He throws his body around as much as anyone we have had.  Tough kid and one of my favorites.  That sucks because I was hoping he’d have all this time to put up jump shots and get his percentage up a bit.  Best wishes on a quick recovery.  

As for other guys, I am somewhere between expecting and hopeful that Bates takes a huge jump.  There is no reason why he can’t play at both ends.  Get that handle locked down and take guys off the bounce, work on getting his shot off effectively at this level, and take defense super seriously.  He’s a rangy guy and there is no reason why he should not be effective on D.  On offense, put XJ on him and make him bring it up and drive on him, get in the lane, and make him shoot with him closing on him.   Bates could be huge to our upside this season.  

An improved Bates and Galloway being healthy all season would do wonders for our wing play.  

I saw on BTB that Galloway is expected to be able to start doing shooting drills in a matter of weeks. I hope that's true and he commits to making 1k 3-pointers every day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw on BTB that Galloway is expected to be able to start doing shooting drills in a matter of weeks. I hope that's true and he commits to making 1k 3-pointers every day. 

I hope like hell that Trey can shake this injury proneness that he seems to have.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rico said:

I hope like hell that Trey can shake this injury proneness that he seems to have.  

I hope so too but I have my doubts. Part of it seems to be with just how he plays. He has kind of a reckless abandon with which he plays. He has had injury issues even throughout HS. Some of it has just been bad luck, like his most recent broken wrist, but I think a lot of it has to do with how he plays.

• Like 2

Apparently Banks made a great impression on Race too...

"Kaleb's a great player," Thompson said. "Didn't really know what to expect when he got here but he is very talented, big, big wing that can defend can really shoot the ball score the ball all three levels. I think that he'll be really fun player to watch and he's gonna be really fun to play with because he can make shots and he can make plays for his teammates. So I think that that we got something special with all the freshmen coming in. ....Kaleb he's really impressed me a lot. Just being how comfortable he is, how confident he is in himself being able to make plays." 

That's what we need... Someone who can shoot it, has mid-range game, and can take you off the dribble...

Maybe the hidden gem of the class? 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Apparently Banks made a great impression on Race too...

"Kaleb's a great player," Thompson said. "Didn't really know what to expect when he got here but he is very talented, big, big wing that can defend can really shoot the ball score the ball all three levels. I think that he'll be really fun player to watch and he's gonna be really fun to play with because he can make shots and he can make plays for his teammates. So I think that that we got something special with all the freshmen coming in. ....Kaleb he's really impressed me a lot. Just being how comfortable he is, how confident he is in himself being able to make plays." 

That's what we need... Someone who can shoot it, has mid-range game, and can take you off the dribble...

Maybe the hidden gem of the class? 

Probably more overlooked than hidden gem; he was right around top 75. He’s an absolute stud and if Geronimo doesn’t make some big strides he may find minutes hard to come by between Reneau (4 & 5) and Banks (3 & 4). 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

ISU in tier 2? That would be a tough sell for me. 

I don't see how we could be outside of the top 3. (Kansas, Duke) 

I used to have season tickets to ISU back in the 80’s. Hilton rocks.  Especially back in the day when Missouri, KU & OU would come to Ames. 

Just now, BDB said:

I used to have season tickets to ISU back in the 80’s. Hilton rocks.  Especially back in the day when Missouri, KU & OU would come to Ames. 

Enough to be "tier 2"? Top 6 in the county? 

As in, it's "on level with Assembly Hall". I feel like that's a stretch. Who knows though.  

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Enough to be "tier 2"? Top 6 in the county? 

As in, it's "on level with Assembly Hall". I feel like that's a stretch. Who knows though.  

It’s pretty good but not sure where they should be ranked as I have only been to games at ISU, IU, PU, Illinois and Iowa. 

of this group, I would put IU, PU, ISU, Illinois and then Iowa.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder what Duke grad came up with that? 

Maybe IU should schedule a game or two in one of the high school venues that rivals the capacity of Cameron Indoor Crackerbox... 

Objectively taking IU out of it, no way Duke is above Kansas.  Like you said, they play in a high school gym...no possible way the atmosphere is better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Objectively taking IU out of it, no way Duke is above Kansas.  Like you said, they play in a high school gym...no possible way the atmosphere is better.

I will give them one thing...

That bottom tier that Illinois shares with Creighton, VCU, and Wichita State seems about right... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1