Offseason 2022

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Discuss & Debate.

May be an image of text

Duke is cool...but it's not some elite Tier 1 option without competition as this ranking suggests. For the most part I don't have a problem with list but I'll say UK and UNC aren't rowdy joints unless a rival comes to town.

I remember Roy Williams on his visit to Bloomington. He said this in first 35 seconds 

Cal won't schedule us so we know what our joint brings.

Finally Coach K and another Duke guy chime in....

Bias aside. When IU is good....I'll match our joint with anyone in the country. Some are on par but nobody is clearly better.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

ISU in tier 2 seems off to me. Not sure how you put them over MSU or UNC. 

Agreed, I'm going to pretend there's no tier one, and I'd move both those up and ISU down.

Duke just gets the ESPN love. They aren't in a league of their own, and I'm interested to see where they are 5+ years from now because Duke's success is pretty much just coach K.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Duke is cool...but it's not some elite Tier 1 option without competition as this ranking suggests. For the most part I don't have a problem with list but I'll say UK and UNC aren't rowdy joints unless a rival comes to town.

I remember Roy Williams on his visit to Bloomington. He said this in first 35 seconds 

Cal won't schedule us so we know what our joint brings.

Finally Coach K and another Duke guy chime in....

Bias aside. When IU is good....I'll match our joint with anyone in the country. Some are on par but nobody is clearly better.

When the hoo, hoo, hoo, Hoosiers chant really gets going, it's hair raising and, I'd have to imagine, pretty intimidating to the visiting team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

When the hoo, hoo, hoo, Hoosiers chant really gets going, it's hair raising and, I'd have to imagine, pretty intimidating to the visiting team.

I'll just say that it doesn't even to need to be a cheer....when the Hoosiers are rolling it's as good as it gets. I was there for those Fab 5, Jimmy Jackson/Ohio St teams,etc....and besides the usual suspects (UK, Duke, Carolina) one of the loudest times I was there was when Self brought his top 10 Illini team into Assembly in 2002. One of the loudest nonrivalry, non national type program games I've ever heard. 

38 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Really? Seems like Iowa doesn’t have a great atmosphere and rarely sells out games. Minny hasn’t been good for awhile. RAC has a solid atmosphere IMO. 

I think you're allowing Purdue getting upset there to cloud your idea of RAC. 

Minny hasn't been good... and the barn is still a tough place to play. imo

I don't think of RU that way. Maybe the fact it seats less than Seymour and is named after a sub shop is my issue. Idk. 😂 Jersey Mike's is very average. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think you're allowing Purdue getting upset there to cloud your idea of RAC. 

Minny hasn't been good... and the barn is still a tough place to play. imo

I don't think of RU that way. Maybe the fact it seats less than Seymour and is named after a sub shop is my issue. Idk. 😂 Jersey Mike's is very average. 

I'll just say this on the Iowa crowd. Have sat courtside a few times and few other places at Carver. Iowa basketball fans are quietly good fans, somewhat knowledgeable....but the arena doesn't get loud that often. I remember Tanya Alford a few times being a basketball fan and trying to get the crowd into things.....they just sat. She was almost like this is how you guys cheer for your team here? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just say this on the Iowa crowd. Have sat courtside a few times and few other places at Carver. Iowa basketball fans are quietly good fans, somewhat knowledgeable....but the arena doesn't get loud that often. I remember Tanya Alford a few times being a basketball fan and trying to get the crowd into things.....they just sat. She was almost like this is how you guys cheer for your team here? 

Agree. The atmosphere for IA football is much better than Bball. Not even close

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I go to an iowa v IU game almost every year.  That place can be very loud.  Not as loud as AH but pretty loud.  Also ISU has a very Loud arena.  They call it Hilton Magic because that place can really be hard for opposing teams to come in and win.  Its it a top 6, i am not sure, but it is a really fun venue when they are rocking.

• Like 2

@The Daily Hoosier's Michigan State analysis... excellent read... 

From the article...

"Malik Hall has the talent to make a Keegan Murray like jump"

I agree he's got the talent, but he was wildly inconsistent last year. He had an All American type game against a Loyola Il tournament team going 9-9 from the field and scoring 24 points but followed that up with a 2 point stinker against UConn.

After starting the conference season scoring 12 ppg and 48% from 3, including an 18 point effort against us (where he ran his mouth a lot) in his last 12 conference games, he averaged 6 ppg and shot 20% from 3. 

He and AJ Hoggard have to play much better this year for MSU to be in the top half of the conference. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

@The Daily Hoosier's Michigan State analysis... excellent read... 

From the article...

"Malik Hall has the talent to make a Keegan Murray like jump"

I agree he's got the talent, but he was wildly inconsistent last year. He had an All American type game against a Loyola Il tournament team going 9-9 from the field and scoring 24 points but followed that up with a 2 point stinker against UConn.

After starting the conference season scoring 12 ppg and 48% from 3, including an 18 point effort against us (where he ran his mouth a lot) in his last 12 conference games, he averaged 6 ppg and shot 20% from 3. 

He and AJ Hoggard have to play much better this year for MSU to be in the top half of the conference. 

Just don't see the Spartans in the mix this year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rico said:

...so you are saying they will go 11-9 again?

Looking at their schedule, that's about what I'd guess... 

I may be over rating them, but I've found saying an Izzo team won't compete can be unwise...

But thier 3 freshmen are all ranked either 50 or lower, and they didn't get any help from the portal... Losing Christie and Marble really hurt them... 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Looking at their schedule, that's about what I'd guess... 

I may be over rating them, but I've found saying an Izzo team won't compete can be unwise...

But thier 3 freshmen are all ranked either 50 or lower, and they didn't get any help from the portal... Losing Christie and Marble really hurt them... 

Izzo has earned the right to go out on his own terms but I have to wonder how much longer the fan base will tolerate the "mediocrity?"

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Izzo has earned the right to go out on his own terms but I have to wonder how much longer the fan base will tolerate the "mediocrity?"

He has... Be interesting to see which way they go once Izzo does call it a day, now that Dwayne Stephens is at Western Michigan... I'm not sure Fife would be considered after what went down at IU... 

Edited by IUFLA

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He has... Be interesting to see which way they go once Izzo does call it a day, now that Dwayne Stephens is at Western Michigan... I'm not sure Fife would be considered after what went down at IU... 

Brian Gregory?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Brian Gregory?

He'd have to be better than he's been at USF...

I can't think of many MSU alums coaching in college right now...2 coaches in 46 years will weed out a lot of candidates... 

Wonder if Magic is interested? 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He'd have to be better than he's been at USF...

I can't think of many MSU alums coaching in college right now...2 coaches in 46 years will weed out a lot of candidates... 

Wonder if Magic is interested? 😁

Tom Crean?  lol

• Haha 1