Offseason 2022

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Darnell Valentine is at Loyola, Chicago....

Darnell Valentine played at Kansas... Drew Valentine, Loyola Il coach now, was an assistant coach at MSU but played at Oakland... 

Denzel Valentine played at MSU but is still in the NBA... 

Edited by IUFLA

10 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I turned 40 today. Blessed to see it. Just buzzin and wanted to say thanks for being a site I check multiple times per day, even in the off-season!

HBD! My 40s have been so surprisingly much more fun than my 20s, Enjoy!

Edited by skrappy74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@The Daily Hoosier's take on Minnesota

Former IU target Dawson Garcia is an interesting pick up for the Gophers. 6'11 and he can shoot it from 3 (36% career avg). He started out pretty well at Marquette where he put up 13 ppg and made the Big East all freshman team. Didn't fair so well at UNC.

Between Garcia and Jamison Battle Minnesota has 2 pretty nice players, but as the article says, lack of depth along with an unsure defense might make it a long year for Ben Johnson's team... 

• Like 1

Our blunders in the 2020 recruiting class were worse than 2012. 🤢🤢

And Jake Laravia should have been the missing stretch 4. 

Archie was bad. Unbelievably bad. 

Aaron Henry vs Damezi Anderson

Nijel Pack vs Lander

Not recruiting Laravia

Fun stuff. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Nijel Pack vs Lander

Not recruiting Laravia

Fun stuff. 

Assuming not recruiting Ivey would be up there too? 

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Poise, professional, confident, succinct replies. Mature, focused. These are the type of young men we should all celebrate their dedication to being great men. I am pumped. 

Kind of hard when the reporters keep asking the same questions. I'd be like, really, didn't you hear what I just said?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Nijel Pack vs Lander

Not recruiting Laravia

Fun stuff. 

Hindsight is 20:20. If Archie whiffed, so did a lot of others. 

Pack had three official visits: Rice, Belmont and K State. No offers from any other P5 schools. 

Laravia had two official visits: SIU Edwardsville and IN State. No offers from any P5 schools, but he did have an offer from Incarnate Word (so did Priller, as I recall)

Imagine the screaming from this message board if the recruiting class had included those players. 

Lander had offers from Kansas, FL, LVille and multiple B1G teams. Anderson had offers from MI and UConn. 

FWIW, the lead recruiter for Aaron Henry was Dane Fife. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Hindsight is 20:20. If Archie whiffed, so did a lot of others. 

Pack had three official visits: Rice, Belmont and K State. No offers from any P5 schools. 

Laravia had two official visits: SIU Edwardsville and IN State. No offers from any P5 schools, but he did have an offer from Incarnate Word (so did Priller, as I recall)

Imagine the screaming from this message board if the recruiting class had included those players. 

Lander had offers from Kansas, FL, LVille and multiple B1G teams. Anderson had offers from MI and UConn. 

FWIW, the lead recruiter for Aaron Henry was Dane Fife. 

I'm not a fan of other teams. Them missing on our state's talent doesn't bother me. 

Identifying talent and developing talent are skills Archie didn't possess.  

Pack was always better than Lander. 

Dane was also the lead recruiter for Galloway to MSU. 

• Haha 1

Regarding LaRavia, though, he blew up his senior year and was definitely being discussed by major schools.  I read a report that Purdue was at least looking into him.   By the time of the spring of his senior year, he was recognized as being a good player.  I saw him play (on TV) as a freshman at ISU and he was obviously the real deal. I posted on here that I hoped he’d transfer here and I think some others agreed as I recall.  If we would have taken him his senior year, I wouldn’t have complained.  

I would say the larger point is not to think about 1-2 cases but look at the aggregate and then evaluate (a) Archie’s talent evaluating skills and (b) his strategies for constructing a class.  It’s two skills IMO.  

I think Archie just wasn’t good as a whole in either category.  By comparison, I thought Crean was very good at (a) and not good at (b).  Just my thoughts.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1