Offseason 2022

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding LaRavia, though, he blew up his senior year and was definitely being discussed by major schools.  I read a report that Purdue was at least looking into him.   By the time of the spring of his senior year, he was recognized as being a good player.  I saw him play (on TV) as a freshman at ISU and he was obviously the real deal. I posted on here that I hoped he’d transfer here and I think some others agreed as I recall.  If we would have taken him his senior year, I wouldn’t have complained.  

I would say the larger point is not to think about 1-2 cases but look at the aggregate and then evaluate (a) Archie’s talent evaluating skills and (b) his strategies for constructing a class.  It’s two skills IMO.  

I think Archie just wasn’t good as a whole in either category.  By comparison, I thought Crean was very good at (a) and not good at (b).  Just my thoughts.  

And... we had open schollies around this time, as well. We let Laravia go to INST!!!! 

• Like 1

Regarding Pack, we were recruiting him and following him. I think Purdue was too.  Our media has articles about him.  Ultimately he didn’t seem to be our first choice and he was smallish.  But we had a good look at him.  Maybe other schools thought, “sheesh he’s in IU and PU’s backyard and they don’t want him so they have a good idea.”  

In the end, I don’t think any of us want to spend time re-litigating Archie, or Crean.  It is what it is and we all know what happened.  We have a new staff and hopefully our recruiting will go well.  

In the end, all of the B1G teams will have rosters with good players and we can’t get them all.  With limited spots, hopefully we identify the right ones and we piece them together with balance for sustained success. So easy to say, yet we have NOT accomplished this in a generation.  What I like about Woody is the NBA mentality that he’s not going to sit here with weaknesses for a year or two as we wait for guys to get here or develop while here.  He’s getting guys right away to address stuff.  Knight was like that.  We got too used to patience IMO, myself included. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding LaRavia, though, he blew up his senior year and was definitely being discussed by major schools.  I read a report that Purdue was at least looking into him.   By the time of the spring of his senior year, he was recognized as being a good player.  I saw him play (on TV) as a freshman at ISU and he was obviously the real deal. I posted on here that I hoped he’d transfer here and I think some others agreed as I recall.  If we would have taken him his senior year, I wouldn’t have complained.  

I would say the larger point is not to think about 1-2 cases but look at the aggregate and then evaluate (a) Archie’s talent evaluating skills and (b) his strategies for constructing a class.  It’s two skills IMO.  

I think Archie just wasn’t good as a whole in either category.  By comparison, I thought Crean was very good at (a) and not good at (b).  Just my thoughts.  

We’ll have to agree to disagree on Crean. Neither were strong points in my opinion, but I’d lean the opposite of you if I was going to give him any credit. I thought his overall talent observation skills were very poor (he missed 75% of the time), but he did hit lightning in a bottle a couple times and was able to construct a couple solid teams. His tenure was a roller coaster bc of his poor evaluation skills IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What I like about Woody is the NBA mentality that he’s not going to sit here with weaknesses for a year or two as we wait for guys to get here or develop while here.  He’s getting guys right away to address stuff.  Knight was like that.  We got too used to patience IMO, myself included. 

Very well said. At this point, this seems to be the major difference between Woodson and previous coaches. It’s exciting seeing things get done and not sitting around waiting for a miracle. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

To me this is the difference in recruiting and player evaluation 

Any fool can look up player rankings 

Absolutely. We had zero under Archie. 

Couple that with a complete inability to develop Phin, Justin smith, and others. Ooof. 

• Like 1

What I don’t understand:

we all watched KL & Ivey last year.

some how many saw KL as NBA this year and Ivey as an “inefficient chucker” 

this year Smith & Gunn can’t play as freshman….

I wonder if any of you watch clips of players or just look at rankings 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JG showing what work in the weightroom does. Good god he looks big. 

Love the work in the pool. Great ending to the week. Get some work in, low impact, team bonding, plus.. its ok to have fun! 

Then I found this video of todays workout! 

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

What I don’t understand:

we all watched KL & Ivey last year.

some how many saw KL as NBA this year and Ivey as an “inefficient chucker” 

this year Smith & Gunn can’t play as freshman….

I wonder if any of you watch clips of players or just look at rankings 

Is KL Lander? And if so, I don't know who said he was "NBA this year" if you mean NBA ready? I guess what I am asking, what are you talking about? 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Is KL Lander? And if so, I don't know who said he was "NBA this year" if you mean NBA ready? I guess what I am asking, what are you talking about? 

Think he's talking about Lander before he got to IU.  There was some one & done chatter, but I don't remember a lot of that here.  Most felt like he reclassed to get a prep year before a potential one & done.  Once more of his body of work was observed, it became clear he was poorly evaluated by the various rating services, as well as the IU staff..

Edited by FKIM01
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Think he's talking about Lander before he got to IU.  There was some one & done chatter, but I don't remember a lot of that here.  Most felt like he reclassed to get a prep year before a potential one & done.  Once more of his body of work was observed, it became clear he was poorly evaluated by the various rating services, as well as the IU staff..

There was a physical and probably an emotional maturity issue there. He was not a good candidate to reclassify. Doesn’t seem like many of those work out. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I don’t remember anyone saying he was a one and one candidate though. Maybe he and his family or something like that, but no one here that I recall. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 12:26 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

We got too used to patience IMO, myself included. 

Thank you for that.  I think some of us got beat up when year 3 rolled around and we were still having the same issues with coaches.  "It takes 4 years..." was uttered around here a whole lot and it just isn't true.  We just had coaches who could not recruit, develop, and coach well enough to impact things in a positive enough fashion.  That is the past so we can somewhat let it die.  However, Woodson has maybe a decade of coaching (give or take) left in him.  I hope that whomever is making decisions when he retires (after adding a couple titles of his own 😉) that those lessons of the past are remembered.  You get the standards you set.

• Like 2

TJD like Nojel Eastern will probably never be a shooter 

still a 2-3 time AA and probably big ten champ this year 

still think both guys are TE or DE playing basketball 

BTN needs Big Ten strongest man or decathlon 

TJD 

race

Gillis 

Liddell 

Cockburn 

29 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Putting those two players in the same sentence completely voids and credibility in the entire post 

"After carefully considering all of my options, and with the uncertainty of COVID-19, I have decided to opt out of the college basketball season to focus on my dreams to become a professional basketball player and train for the 2021 NBA draft," Eastern posted on Twitter. "I will be signing with an agent and chase what I've always worked for.

"I genuinely want to thank Howard University and the coaching staff for a tremendous opportunity."

😂

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

"After carefully considering all of my options, and with the uncertainty of COVID-19, I have decided to opt out of the college basketball season to focus on my dreams to become a professional basketball player and train for the 2021 NBA draft," Eastern posted on Twitter. "I will be signing with an agent and chase what I've always worked for.

"I genuinely want to thank Howard University and the coaching staff for a tremendous opportunity."

😂

He changed his mind and went into music, and maybe investing in crypto, instead.

• Haha 2