Offseason 2022

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Didn't think I'd have to explain this, but:  I'm just weary of years of look-at-me muscle pics of the IU basketball team . . . and then being horrible shooters during the season.

I'd much rather see Tweets about players who hit 95% free throws or 45% 3-pointers.  That would be progress.  Instead, we get Tweets from our NFL trainer about lifting weights, jumping, and swimming pools.

To be clear, I'm impressed with the effort of the players.  Not impressed with the results.   

Last season, Indiana was dead last in conference for 3-point shots made, and free-throw percentage.  Last.  14th out of 14 teams.  We were 11th in 3-point shooting percentage.

Who is in charge of addressing this?  How do they spend their time?  Do we even have a shooting coach?  Shooting is more important to the game than ever. 

I don't buy the argument that these were Archie's kids, and we need to wait a few years until they're all gone.  Some do believe that.  But that's a different thread.

Totally agree with you, don't need to see pictures of there body getting larger.  Show me them getting better at the game if basketball.

50 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

One of the players talked in an interview about the coaches working with them to improve technique. So it's being worked on. We also saw during the season some of the players improving their shooting. 

Then show that kind of stuff over wight lifting which to me isn't as important to producing great basketball players.  Two of the best players in Durant and Curry bodies don't look jacked up and that hasn't kept them from being great.

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Cross training (yoga, swimming, primal movements in sand pits, etc.) is very important because it prevents muscle imbalances. Athletes in every sport perform repeated movements unique to the sport they are competing in. This creates muscle imbalances. Muscle imbalances create injuries.  

While swimming may not improve their shooting performance, it will increase the chances they’ll be healthy enough to be in games, injury free, so they can shoot the ball. Not to mention, cross-training improves agility so they can stay in front of their opponents defensively. Balance so they can finish after contact. Core strength so they don’t get knocked off of their position, Etc., etc.

However, if NCAA basketball consisted only of playing H-O-R-S-E, you’d have an outstanding point. 

Dude, just let them tweet fun videos to get fans who aren’t as crazy as us excited about this team. 

Obvious these kinds of things haven't prevented I juries from happening in the past.  I keep hearing how much better shape today's athletes are but why are injuries a lot higher today than in the past 

Just now, rogue3542 said:

Are we not going to talk about the "event" that Purdue organized to replace the crossroads classic?

They're bringing in powerhouses Ball State, Davidson, and Illinois State for the inaugural Indy Classic Basketball Showcase.

It has been discussed 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Obvious these kinds of things haven't prevented I juries from happening in the past.  I keep hearing how much better shape today's athletes are but why are injuries a lot higher today than in the past 

I'm not sure that's true...

I do think players played with injuries more in the past... Money cured both sides of that... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I said prevents muscle imbalances and decreases risk of injury. That said everybody has muscle imbalances and injuries will happen. 

I’d like to see some evidence of your last claim. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It has been discussed 

Just now, rogue3542 said:

Where? I haven't seen it

Semi-recently.  I appreciate you bringing it back op though as I'm not sure it's been sufficiently laughed at yet.

I think My favorite line was something about it being good to see that IU and Turdue have replaced the Crossroads with games more befitting their national stature. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Semi-recently.  I appreciate you bringing it back op though as I'm not sure it's been sufficiently laughed at yet.

I think My favorite line was something about it being good to see that IU and Turdue have replaced the Crossroads with games more befitting their national stature. 😂

I just saw a news story on Reddit that was only a day old. Just went back through most of the recent threads here and couldn't find anything. Must be month old news at this point haha.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's hysterical.  IU plays Kansas, Arizona, UNC.  The ship is correcting its course. Finally. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I said prevents muscle imbalances and decreases risk of injury. That said everybody has muscle imbalances and injuries will happen. 

I’d like to see some evidence of your last claim. 

There way more miss games today than there use to be.  I understand if you are injured but it seems like players won't play if they aren't 100 percent.  That is why the Pacer fans dislike Brogdon so much is because he won't play if he doesn't feel 100 percent.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Then show that kind of stuff over wight lifting which to me isn't as important to producing great basketball players.  Two of the best players in Durant and Curry bodies don't look jacked up and that hasn't kept them from being great.

They literally do. Literally, they do.

This is just an archaic complaint, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Def didnt do that. 

Every year they so before and after pictures of the players le with Race.  To me endurance and agility is more important for basketball players than weight lifting is.  I want guys in shape so they can actually play more than 30 minutes in a game.

Just seems to me the outliers seemed to be more important today than the actual game itself.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe to you it isn't important but  I would rather see videos of them on the court than in the wright room or in the sand out.  Yes I am old and think getting better on the court is more important than anything else.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Every year they so before and after pictures of the players le with Race.  To me endurance and agility is more important for basketball players than weight lifting is.  I want guys in shape so they can actually play more than 30 minutes in a game.

Just seems to me the outliers seemed to be more important today than the actual game itself.  

None of what you said was a response to what I said... so why did you quote me? 

Endurance and agility are developed JUST as much in the weightroom as not. 😅😅

AND THIS VIDEO WASN'T FROM THE WEIGHT ROOM!!! 

I think swimmers have decent endurance though. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Alot of people don't realize you have to have endurance to be able to perform in the weight room. 

Endurance should be a given.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

After a work out. 

During a workout 

This was all in the last week. Individuals often post their own Individual workouts. There is also a period called a down period.   I'm 90-95% certain where coaches aren't allowed to have workouts with their players. I assume that time for D1 basketball is early june. Maybe 3-4 week time frame. Can work with trainers, not coaches. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There way more miss games today than there use to be.  I understand if you are injured but it seems like players won't play if they aren't 100 percent.  That is why the Pacer fans dislike Brogdon so much is because he won't play if he doesn't feel 100 percent.

As, I said, I’d just like to see some good evidence of your claim. something a little more concrete than whatever your perception is. 

And see @IUFLA’s comment above. Playing through injuries doesn’t mean that they don’t happen. 

There’s a lot more money in pro sports. The practice of being extra cautious are owner’s protecting their investment and players protecting their value.