Offseason 2022

48 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not sure what podcast I heard this one (because I listen to too many), but they were saying if TJD has a similar year in production to last year, he has a chance to finish #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounds and #1 in blocks (in IU history). That is just crazy to wrap your head around. Staying can also put him into upper tier legend status. 

It’d be funny if woody would set him when he gets with one point of woodys #. 
Just as a joke of course. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know it doesn't take a genius to make this observation, but i'll keep saying... if Bates is improved enough to take Kopp's starting spot,i will be really really excited about this team.  the difference of him and JHS on the wings over Stewart and Kopp would be HUGE!

It's no small thing that Tamar became a father. The anticipation of such an incredible life event is enormous under 'normal' circumstances; and to have that weighing overhead while competing in your first year of high level D1 basketball is even more substantial.

I'm certain he'll have the support to handle both duties, and I hope that he's able to find that right balance. Finding a rhythm will be so important. Looking forward to his progression this season.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's no small thing that Tamar became a father. The anticipation of such an incredible life event is enormous under 'normal' circumstances; and to have that weighing overhead while competing in your first year of high level D1 basketball is even more substantial.

I'm certain he'll have the support to handle both duties, and I hope that he's able to find that right balance. Finding a rhythm will be so important. Looking forward to his progression this season.

Yes, he had a lot going on last season on top of the normal freshman adjustments which can be difficult by themselves. Expecting a kid and then having a close relative die. It'd be enough to cause anyone to lose focus.

I think he'll be adjusted to it all soon if he isn't already and have a chance to make a huge improvement from last season.

20 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm excited about this team if anyone is able to take Kopp's starting spot and/or relegate Kopp to backup minutes. I don't care if it's Bates or someone else like JHS, Geronimo, Banks, or Gunn. Kopp is by far the weakest returning starter from last season and the team would be much better if he was a backup player instead of a starter.

definitely agreed.  already counting JHS as a starter though.  hard to imagine anyone other than Bates having the ability to step in as a starter this season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

great point

1 hour ago, rico said:

Holtmann on the hot seat?

Could be. I know basketball is little brother over in Columbus, and he hasn't been terrible...

I don't think they'd let him go for 5 or 6 years of terrible results like they did with Randy Ayers, but I think it'd take a couple of really mediocre years for them to make a change. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Who was our last top 20 recruit that didn't start?

Khristian Lander and Tamar Bates were both ranked 25-35 by the various services, not quite as high as JHS in the 17-24 range, but comparable.

Before that, to find a top 25-30 RSCI recruit who didn't start as a freshman you'd have to go all the way back to... Dane Fife in '99.

Edited by Maedhros

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Khristian Lander and Tamar Bates were both ranked 25-35 by the various services, not quite as high as JHS in the 17-24 range, but comparable.

Before that, to find a top 25-30 RSCI recruit who didn't start as a freshman you'd have to go all the way back to... Dane Fife in '99.

one poster said we have literally never had a recruit ranked as high as JHS that hasn't started

23 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

one poster said we have literally never had a recruit ranked as high as JHS that hasn't started

That's certainly true of Rivals and 247, but both services only go back to 2003. RSCI started in 1998, with Dane Fife ranked 14. Fife started in just 11 of Indiana's 33 games as a freshman.

3 hours ago, rico said:

So you have a kid who dreamed of playing at NC and planned to go there in 2023. Instead, it sounds like people around him have pushed him to reclassify and go to SC so he can declare for the NBA sooner in hopes they can cash in. 

On 7/13/2022 at 11:56 AM, tdhoosier said:

I'm not sure what podcast I heard this one (because I listen to too many), but they were saying if TJD has a similar year in production to last year, he has a chance to finish #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounds and #1 in blocks (in IU history). That is just crazy to wrap your head around. Staying can also put him into upper tier legend status. 

Yeah - if he ends up there and we have some high-level team success (win conference and a deep run) he can be the most important player since Knight. I got some pushback for that a few months ago when he came back, but if he does that and is the springboard to a great run from Woody, that's a no brainer opinion IMO. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JHS is listed at 6'6 215lbs. Sweet Jesus

That's the thing with he and Malik,they're ready to go day 1 physically. They both played a national schedule and national tournament at Montverde that will have them ready for size and talent. They also practiced against other D1 players daily. Hope we keep that pipeline of talent flowing to Bloomington!

• Like 6

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

That's the thing with he and Malik,they're ready to go day 1 physically. They both played a national schedule and national tournament at Montverde that will have them ready for size and talent. They also practiced against other D1 players daily. Hope we keep that pipeline of talent flowing to Bloomington!

Exactly. 

A couple of things I learned from watching probably 4 or 5 of their games live is don't simply rely on the highlights when judging these kids. They're called highlights for a reason.

And the kids they were playing against were all at least as good as a middling talented college kid. Taris Reed (Michigan recruit) is a very talented kid. But Malik outplayed him pretty badly when I watched them.

Of course Duncomb supposedly outplayed Furst in high school too, so... 

• Like 4

I think a fun scrimmage would be seeing the new guys plus Logan play vets.  Something like 

Duncomb 

Reneau 

Banks

Gunn

JHS

JG subbing in 

vs 

TJD

Race

Bates

Trey

XJ

Kopp and Leal subbing in

I think it would be a fun, spirited game.  Trayce is an enormous mismatch but I’d like to see the new class play with pride. I’d love to watch that.  

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly. 

A couple of things I learned from watching probably 4 or 5 of their games live is don't simply rely on the highlights when judging these kids. They're called highlights for a reason.

And the kids they were playing against were all at least as good as a middling talented college kid. Taris Reed (Michigan recruit) is a very talented kid. But Malik outplayed him pretty badly when I watched them.

Duncomb absolutely did. I watched that game from start to end. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly. 

Totally agree.  I admit that I’m not watching recruits unless I catch the occasional stream. I did watch some AAU games in person when they were near me awhile ago but I’ve got kids now and can’t pull that off anymore.  The point being, I can only go off certain write ups that tend to be consensus but it’s always a very limited projection.  Even if you see a player in high school that looks like he has a good profile, you could have Jeremy Hollowell, Ron Patterson, Hanner, Lander et  al. happen.  The reverse can also happen.

Bottom line, the coaches can’t comment on them, and we never get to talk to them or know their individual makeups which is a big part of it.  All we can go off is quotes from coaches and analysts like Rabby who I like.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Even if you see a player in high school that looks like he has a good profile, you could have Jeremy Hollowell, Ron Patterson, Hanner, Lander et  al. happen.  The reverse can also happen.

So true... I think superior athletes in high school can give us fans a false impression sometimes. 

To me, and this is simply my opinion, there are kids who are simply basketball players. Might not wow you with athleticism, but just know how to play the game. I think Malaki Branham was that way. He just knew how to play. He was highly rated, but his athleticism didn't jump off the page at you. And I think Ohio State has another one in the Sensabaugh kid. Rated #68, but from what I've seen of him, he's a basketball player. 

I think JHS and Malik are both that way. Basketball players. JHS has that added spice of Quinn Buckner type leadership as well. Beyond that, these kids are used to winning, and won't accept the alternative.

I know Coach Woodson looks for that in players... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think a fun scrimmage would be seeing the new guys plus Logan play vets.  Something like 

Duncomb 

Reneau 

Banks

Gunn

JHS

JG subbing in 

vs 

TJD

Race

Bates

Trey

XJ

Kopp and Leal subbing in

I think it would be a fun, spirited game.  Trayce is an enormous mismatch but I’d like to see the new class play with pride. I’d love to watch that.  

I’d give the new guys Bates and I think they could potentially beat them. 

• Like 1