Offseason 2022

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

We can't criticize recruiting now? I mean, the record speaks for itself. Archie had several issues as the IU coach and recruiting was a big one. 

My post wasn't meant to start some debate on Archie, I defended him longer than most on here, but the difference is pretty huge so far. 

Just looking at the record, Archie had 5 top 100 recruits (including Duncomb) in his entire IU tenure. Woodson has 6 (counting 2023 commits) in one year. That will absolutely translate to success on the floor. 

Recruiting matters and recruiting is always going to be debated. We've debated these things as long as HSN has been around. We have an entire board dedicated to it. 

My post wasn't an attempt to defend Archie. My post was meant to point out that there are players on our roster now that he recruited, and from the tone of some posters, are being lumped in categorically with the "Archie was a recruiting failure" thought. Same players, and their families have been known to read these boards. IMO, sure doesn't give them the warm and fuzzies given that they recommitted to the program and to new coaches they knew little about.

But for the record....yeah, the CAM criticism has been beaten like a dead horse. How many more times does his ineptitude need to be raked over the coals here? Stand by my comment....time to move on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My post wasn't an attempt to defend Archie. My post was meant to point out that there are players on our roster now that he recruited, and from the tone of some posters, are being lumped in categorically with the "Archie was a recruiting failure" thought. Same players, and their families have been known to read these boards. IMO, sure doesn't give them the warm and fuzzies given that they recommitted to the program and to new coaches they knew little about.

But for the record....yeah, the CAM criticism has been beaten like a dead horse. How many more times does his ineptitude need to be raked over the coals here? Stand by my comment....time to move on.

Just pointing out that some of those recruits and their family would probably agree with the notion that we lacked talent - Romeo, TJD, Race, etc. After all, they were the ones getting beat up by teams with greater talent. They were the ones getting double and triple teamed because we didn’t have reliable shooters. I think they know what’s up. I don’t think we need to beat around the bush about it.  

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just pointing out that some of those recruits and their family would probably agree with the notion that we lacked talent - Romeo, TJD, Race, etc. After all, they were the ones getting beat up by teams with greater talent. They were the ones getting double and triple teamed because we didn’t have reliable shooters. I think they know what’s up. I don’t think we need to beat around the bush about it.  

Probably right....don't need to beat around the bush about it. IMO, don't need to beat it to death either.

Look forward to the positives that CMW has brought to the program and don't dwell on the negatives of the past. 

• Like 1

Archie did get the two biggest fish in the Indiana pond in his first two years, one of which is still paying big dividends for us...

His recruitment of middling talent might be subject to criticism, but I remember most were quite happy with his first couple of classes.

My own opinion is Archie's main issue was that he didn't have the ability to develop the talent he had to fit the system he wanted to put in place...

And that does rest on him... 

• Like 4

When it comes to Hoosier basketball I’m the eternal optimist, and can’t wait for the season to begin. I’m 69 and grew up with Knight and the great Hoosier teams of that era, and know what it’s like to have a team that expects to win every time they take the floor no matter who they’re playing. A team that not only wins, but dominates and overwhelms opponents. I’m getting the sense this year’s team could be that type of team, but I’ve been disappointed so many times over the past few years I’m trying to keep myself in check. Am I wrong?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Archie did get the two biggest fish in the Indiana pond in his first two years, one of which is still paying big dividends for us...

His recruitment of middling talent might be subject to criticism, but I remember most were quite happy with his first couple of classes.

My own opinion is Archie's main issue was that he didn't have the ability to develop the talent he had to fit the system he wanted to put in place...

And that does rest on him... 

I believe Archie said it himself: Missing out on the shooters he recruited and not having a back up plan for said shooters. He filled those missed spots with that ‘(non-shooting) middling talent’ you speak of - essentially stocking our roster with defensive minded hustle guys. It’s not that they are bad players, but we always had 1 or 2 missing pieces to the puzzle, and those player never seemed to fill that void.

there may have have been other things, but shooting was the obvious one. So obvious, he even acknowledged it. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

When it comes to Hoosier basketball I’m the eternal optimist, and can’t wait for the season to begin. I’m 69 and grew up with Knight and the great Hoosier teams of that era, and know what it’s like to have a team that expects to win every time they take the floor no matter who they’re playing. A team that not only wins, but dominates and overwhelms opponents. I’m getting the sense this year’s team could be that type of team, but I’ve been disappointed so many times over the past few years I’m trying to keep myself in check. Am I wrong?

Hope not. I’m 68 and in the same boat. 1976 was my Senior year at IU and I thought we were set up for National Championship runs every 3 - 4 years. The drought needs to end soon!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I’m 69 and grew up with Knight and the great Hoosier teams of that era, and know what it’s like to have a team that expects to win every time they take the floor no matter who they’re playing. A team that not only wins, but dominates and overwhelms opponents.

Sports Illustrated wrote about that 1976 team, saying the opposing teams not only struggled to make shots, they often couldn't even complete passes.

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Sports Illustrated wrote about that 1976 team, saying the opposing teams not only struggled to make shots, they often couldn't even complete passes.

The 75 and 76 teams were machines... Once they got you down 15, you weren't coming back... Ever 

The 75 team went undefeated in the conference season winning by an average of 29 ppg...

29 ppg in the Big 10... 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

That started with Buckner and Wilkerson. Probably the most imposing backcourt I have ever seen.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I agree, but the combination of XJ and JHS, with Galloway off the bench could be be one of the best defensive backcourts in the nation this year.

Our guards for 2022-23

XJ - 6’3”  200  

JHS - 6’6”  215

TG - 6’4”  205

AL - 6’5”  200

CJG - 6’6”  195

Pretty imposing by any standards!

I forget Tamar at 6’5”  195

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

XJ is just an elite athlete. Quick as a cat and long. 

Can't wait to see what he does this year! He made pretty considerable improvements in his three point shooting and taking care of the basketball last year as opposed to his time at Pitt. He obviously hit another gear the last month of the season, but man if he can play that way the entire year (not necessarily same averages, just same level of play) and JHS really is on the same level as him we could have a top 10 back court and a top 10 front court in the country. 

Just gotta hope our wings don't let us down...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Can't wait to see what he does this year! He made pretty considerable improvements in his three point shooting and taking care of the basketball last year as opposed to his time at Pitt. He obviously hit another gear the last month of the season, but man if he can play that way the entire year (not necessarily same averages, just same level of play) and JHS really is on the same level as him we could have a top 10 back court and a top 10 front court in the country. 

No worries..

image.png.92c0e663809f45ae6273b2ad3089c989.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The Hoosier Hysterics guy interviewed JHS last week and they asked him who the best shooter is on the team. He said Kopp.....and X. He said X has been really working on his shot this year and putting up a lot of reps. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The Hoosier Hysterics guy interviewed JHS last week and they asked him who the best shooter is on the team. He said Kopp.....and X. He said X has been really working on his shot this year and putting up a lot of reps. 

The problem is, if X is viewed as a good shooter by the opponent, and they decide to cover him on the line, his release is slow and low.  We'll need to work to get him open, because he's not going to be successful when pressured.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The problem is, if X is viewed as a good shooter by the opponent, and they decide to cover him on the line, his release is slow and low.  We'll need to work to get him open, because he's not going to be successful when pressured.

He'd dribble drive them to death... Not too many guards as quick as X in the Big 10. 

That's where he can show off improved decision making and make the solid basketball pass rather than trying risky highlight stuff... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

True, but if they do step up on him, watch out for Trayce in the pick and roll. I think X needs to be a threat to drain it if given space. If the defense doesn't give him space, there may be consequences. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not really a surprise. Their 3 pt % was 2nd and 3rd behind Stewart last year. This doesn't make me optimistic, though. Kopp has always been a streaky shooter and X's shot mechanics aren't good. He may be putting up a lot of reps, but I doubt that he completely remade his shooting motion. 

Just have a bad feeling that this team won't meet expectations due to poor perimeter shooting again. 

This team desperately needed a Zeisloft or Alfonso Plummer type pickup from the transfer portal and didn't get one. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is that the exact scenario you want though? Teams forced to pressure X because he's shooting the ball so well is like a perfect scenario. 

Then he and TJD are almost impossible to guard in the PnR. Pressure X out top and he's blowing by you. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He won't need to shoot a 3 if they have to close out on him that close. He turns a long close out into a shot fake and dunk for him.... or a great look for a teammate BECAUSE of his new ability to stretch the D. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Is that the exact scenario you want though? Teams forced to pressure X because he's shooting the ball so well is like a perfect scenario. 

Then he and TJD are almost impossible to guard in the PnR. Pressure X out top and he's blowing by you. 

yesssssssssss!!!!!!

• Like 1