Offseason 2022

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Is that the exact scenario you want though? Teams forced to pressure X because he's shooting the ball so well is like a perfect scenario. 

Then he and TJD are almost impossible to guard in the PnR. Pressure X out top and he's blowing by you. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He won't need to shoot a 3 if they have to close out on him that close. He turns a long close out into a shot fake and dunk for him.... or a great look for a teammate BECAUSE of his new ability to stretch the D. 

I'd love to see X finish a lot of those with a thunderous dunk like he did versus Maryland (I think) and the one he missed when we were trying to put Illinois away in the BTT

I fully considered and understand what everyone is saying.  My point was more speaking towards X not being someone we look at taking a shot at the buzzer when down by 3.  No matter what his percentage may end up being, we'll never look at him and think 'Jordan Bohanon'

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So... I just got a pretty cool offer.  When JHS is home he trains with the guy who trains my son.  The trainer just texted and said he is training him Thurs if I'd like to come and help out.  Now, I have never liked training.  I am an old school coach who likes to run team practices and build a team to prepare for games, but I guess I would be stupid to not go and at least pass him some balls and what not, huh?

If he gets injured while training, we'll hold you responsible.

Seriously though, that is a very cool opportunity.  Take advantage of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I fully considered and understand what everyone is saying.  My point was more speaking towards X not being someone we look at taking a shot at the buzzer when down by 3.  No matter what his percentage may end up being, we'll never look at him and think 'Jordan Bohanon'

I would take him over a JB 100 times out of 100. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd love to see X finish a lot of those with a thunderous dunk like he did versus Maryland (I think) and the one he missed when we were trying to put Illinois away in the BTT

Dunk it every time you can. It's literally a higher percentage for those dudes than a layup! And yes, he botched one in the BTT 😅😅.. TJD put it in though. Gotta love good teammates!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This doesn't make me optimistic, though. Kopp has always been a streaky shooter and X's shot mechanics aren't good. He may be putting up a lot of reps, but I doubt that he completely remade his shooting motion. 

Just have a bad feeling that this team won't meet expectations due to poor perimeter shooting again. 

This ^^

We've had players work hard before.  "500 shots a day" stuff.  Lots to admire there.  But with incorrect form.

We've been the worst shooting team in the BigTen for 5 years, including 14th out of 14 teams last season.  At least once, there were over 300 teams in the country who shot better than Indiana for a season.

Trained seals bouncing balls from their noses could do as well.

Hard work alone will not correct that.  Teaching correct technique, by someone who knows how to teach, is a good first step.  

Is that being done?  

Basically, a better way too put it is when responding to who stands out as a 3 point shooting threat, in addition to Kopp, I would have preferred to hear the names Bates, Banks, Leal, even Race, etc.

As others have said, if X is #2 on that list, our 3 point shooting is likely not where it needs to be.  And, I say that even if you promise me hit will hit 45% for the season.  

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Basically, a better way too put it is when responding to who stands out as a 3 point shooting threat, in addition to Kopp, I would have preferred to hear the names Bates, Banks, Leal, even Race, etc.

As others have said, if X is #2 on that list, our 3 point shooting is likely not where it needs to be.  And, I say that even if you promise me hit will hit 45% for the season.  

I can understand this. I would also never simply take one person's statement, in an interview in that setting, and think its 100% accurate, right? 

I understand thats what JHS said...but he doesn't have a practice stats sheet in front of him, ya know? 

It very well maybe TB is the 2nd best shooter and JHS forgot to name him in the split second it took to respond to that question. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dunk it every time you can. It's literally a higher percentage for those dudes than a layup! And yes, he botched one in the BTT 😅😅.. TJD put it in though. Gotta love good teammates!!

I remembered the one against the Illini because I rewatched the game last night (1. Nothing else on TV 2. Needed my IU Basketball fix 3. Old and nothing better to do... Take your pick)

And the best one was against Maryland... Got that crowd fired up!

Screenshot_20220802-110308.thumb.png.6929553f09daddf56386e0c4698a0d84.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

This ^^

We've had players work hard before.  "500 shots a day" stuff.  Lots to admire there.  But with incorrect form.

We've been the worst shooting team in the BigTen for 5 years, including 14th out of 14 teams last season.  At least once, there were over 300 teams in the country who shot better than Indiana for a season.

Hard work alone will not correct that.  Teaching correct technique, by someone who knows how to teach, is a good first step.  

Is that being done?  

With how much better XJs shot looked by the end of the year... to me, that question is obviously. 

Galloways looked better too. Oddly enough. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I remembered the one against the Illini because I rewatched the game last night (1. Nothing else on TV 2. Needed my IU Basketball fix 3. Old and nothing better to do... Take your pick)

And the best one was against Maryland... Got that crowd fired up!

Screenshot_20220802-110308.thumb.png.6929553f09daddf56386e0c4698a0d84.png

I watch loads of replays. Currently I'm back on a Jonathan Taylor fix 😅. I can appreciate where you're coming from. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

This ^^

Is that being done?  

Yes, it's being done. I believe it was TJD or Race who talked about it in an interview. The coaching staff is working on technique but mostly doing small adjustments rather than complete shooting form overhauls.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Can not believe you said that name...lol...ugh ..."Bohanon..." in my best Seinfeld voice...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

This ^^

Is that being done?  

Hello...Is Jordan Hulls Indiana's all-time best shooter? - The Crimson Quarry

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The problem is, if X is viewed as a good shooter by the opponent, and they decide to cover him on the line, his release is slow and low.  We'll need to work to get him open, because he's not going to be successful when pressured.

I think he was viewed as a good shooter last season; he was high 30s for the year and like 45% over the last month of the season. You're correct he has a somewhat slow release and shoots if low, but he also can create space very well and if you close out too hard on him he's going to go right by you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah - he probably isn't the guy that will take a catch and shoot buzzer beater from three. He doesn't really have the type of shot where he can shoot it on the move coming off of a screen; he's either going to catch and shoot on a spot up or shoot off of the dribble.

My guess is if we are in a situation where we have to have a three with under 10 seconds, Kopp or Bates would be the guys.