Offseason 2022

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't think those number are as impressive as you do.  There are a lot of problem games in there.  And they are on the wings where you want good production.   Low points at point guard is one thing.  On the wings, the problem is more pronounced.  I would also like to see who the opponent is.  Getting 40 points against Middle Kansas State is different than consistently doing it against good B1G teams.  IMO of course.   

I think we can do way better.

When did I disagree with any of that? I never once said impressive and put okay in quotes.

My point is there minutes went down when they weren't producing, they never once combined for 70 minutes as starters on the wing (sans double OT game), and we didn't have other options.

You said the coach made a mistake, I just don't see it. There were no options and he tried to not play them together if they weren't scoring at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

That's 16 games where they combined for single digit points. Only 3 games where they combined for 20 or more. For 2 starters, that is far from impressive.

Fortunately, Stewart has moved on. Kopp should see a reduction in minutes unless he can increase his production.

Somehow "Kopp should see a reduction in minutes unless he can increase his production" brings to mind "the beatings will continue until morale improves!"  I realize the fallacy of the analogy but it came to mind nonetheless.

• Haha 1

My thought is that it's not really fair to say Woodson made a mistake playing Kopp and Stewart. 

As most agree, Bates wasn't ready, Lander was virtually unplayable, and then we all know Galloway and Phinisee were both hurt and also did take minutes from both of those guys when healthy. 

With that said, a coach that's trying to win is going to play the guys he trusts. It's not as simple as looking at Kopp/Stewart's total scoring numbers.

Kopp/Stewart were our most reliable defenders on the wing, and beyond that they were smart offensively for the most part. This was a team with three main players (TJD, X and Race), so you wanted to surround them with high ball IQ, focused guys. 

In that spot, you'd rather have Kopp and Stewart playing solid D, not taking bad shots even if it meant less points, and not turning it over, as opposed to Bates going 2-for-7 and taking 4-5 bad or rushed shots while missing some defensive assignments.

We needed to play through TJD, X and Race, and while Kopp/Stewart were largely unspectacular, they were solid and understood that. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

My thought is that it's not really fair to say Woodson made a mistake playing Kopp and Stewart. 

As most agree, Bates wasn't ready, Lander was virtually unplayable, and then we all know Galloway and Phinisee were both hurt and also did take minutes from both of those guys when healthy. 

With that said, a coach that's trying to win is going to play the guys he trusts. It's not as simple as looking at Kopp/Stewart's total scoring numbers.

Kopp/Stewart were our most reliable defenders on the wing, and beyond that they were smart offensively for the most part. This was a team with three main players (TJD, X and Race), so you wanted to surround them with high ball IQ, focused guys. 

In that spot, you'd rather have Kopp and Stewart playing solid D, not taking bad shots even if it meant less points, and not turning it over, as opposed to Bates going 2-for-7 and taking 4-5 bad or rushed shots while missing some defensive assignments.

We needed to play through TJD, X and Race, and while Kopp/Stewart were largely unspectacular, they were solid and understood that. 

Absolutely…basketball IQ…experience …. He knows when the shelling starts they aren’t going to wilt under the pressure. Trust is vital to a coach that is on the edge of making the tournament. He couldn’t afford to give away games to continue developing and playing young guys major minutes. Especially after the Northwrstern debacle we just didn’t have the leeway to mess around a lot. I expect this year while we want to win every game and win the B1G championship, Woody will feel there are times to develop and bring along the younger guys. Especially since it seems this group of freshman seem to be showing him some good reason that they can handle more.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Purdue fans would love it to be grouped with UK and UCLA while IU is relegated at a level with Ohio and Ol' Miss.

I'm good with that.

No photo description available.

Is there criteria for how this list was generated? 

UNLV for Tier 6? Basically has everything Louisville tried to do under Pitino, but is legal.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

Is there criteria for how this list was generated? 

UNLV for Tier 6? Basically has everything Louisville tried to do under Pitino, but is legal.

None that I'm aware of.  If it's one person's opinion, I question whether he/she has been to every campus.  I guess it could be based on some internet poll.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, 5fouls said:

Purdue fans would love it to be grouped with UK and UCLA while IU is relegated at a level with Ohio and Ol' Miss.

I'm good with that.

No photo description available.

Illinois is too high imo. 

The 7 they put in the first tier..  they did a damn good job. Purdue is probably a rung too high, as well. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lunardi's early bracketology...

Screenshot_20220810-061926.thumb.png.c35effeb0398aac0844c77c9548251d7.png

Anyone else like to see this one play out? I certainly would... 

He has us as the to Big Ten team, so that’s cool.

A 4 seed puts us in the 13-16 range, which seems about right at this point. I think we have better upside than that, but need a handful of things to break our way in terms of health and player progression. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lunardi's early bracketology...

Screenshot_20220810-061926.thumb.png.c35effeb0398aac0844c77c9548251d7.png

Anyone else like to see this one play out? I certainly would... 

That's a tough friggin bracket.  

He listed us as AQ... so, he thinks we're the best in the B1G.... but a 4 seed? 

Yogis SR year we should have been a 3.... I would prefer a 6 seed over a 4/5, probably. I get that its August. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He has us as the to Big Ten team, so that’s cool.

A 4 seed puts us in the 13-16 range, which seems about right at this point. I think we have better upside than that, but need a handful of things to break our way in terms of health and player progression. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's a tough friggin bracket.  

He listed us as AQ... so, he thinks we're the best in the B1G.... but a 4 seed? 

Yogis SR year we should have been a 3.... I would prefer a 6 seed over a 4/5, probably. I get that its August. 

Our matchups vs Toledo and Virginia would be, at first glance, very winnable. And a Sweet 16 matchup against Kentucky to get to an E8 matchup vs the probable Duke/Kansas winner is what we need to gain luster back...