Offseason 2022

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Jon Rothstein's Big 10 power rankings 

I think Purdue is too high, and Iowa too low... 

Agreed. And unfortunately Wisky generally outperforms expectations on an annual basis. Illinois has some talent if they can learn to play more fluidly again without Kofi. 

The B1G looks down overall, and we have the most talent and experience.  We just have to prove it on the court.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Yeah, it kinda of whispers "middle of the pack."

Yeah, a team that starts Ethan Morton doesn't sound like a Big Ten 2nd place finisher.

Honestly, I've never even heard of David Jenkins? Is he the transfer that was a part-time starter at his previous school?

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, a team that starts Ethan Morton doesn't sound like a Big Ten 2nd place finisher.

Honestly, I've never even heard of David Jenkins? Is he the transfer that was a part-time starter at his previous school?

Yeah, he's on his 4th school. Good 3 point shooter, over 40% for his career at a decent volume (5 attempts per game). Part time starter for an 11-20 Utah team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He couldn't get off the bench on a bad Utah team last season. This is his 4th school in 5 years. Rothstein either thinks Painter is a sorcerer, or is drinking some serious gold and black koolaid if he thinks that starting lineup out-performs a lineup that had an NBA lottery pick and two other seniors in it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm shocked Bates wasn't on the break out player list.  

With a season to gain experience,  strength, and perspective on life, I'm really hopeful for a big jump from him. He has all the tools to be an outstanding wing. If he puts in the work, he could be the shooter on the wing we need to make a serious run in March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agreed. And unfortunately Wisky generally outperforms expectations on an annual basis. Illinois has some talent if they can learn to play more fluidly again without Kofi. 

The B1G looks down overall, and we have the most talent and experience.  We just have to prove it on the court.

Wisconsin has 3 pretty good players coming back in Wahl, Hepburn, and Crowl. I just don't think they have the depth to be in the top 7...

I don't see why Rothstein has Iowa starting 4 big guys and Tony Perkins. I think Sandfort will come off the bench and either Ulis or Conor McCaffery will play point. Perkins is more of an off guard to me... And I think he's a pretty good one...

Iowa beat us pretty convincingly in the regular season last year without much from Bohannon (11) or Keegan Murray (12)... Kris Murray had a career game, but they return a good core... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wisconsin has 3 pretty good players coming back in Wahl, Hepburn, and Crowl. I just don't think they have the depth to be in the top 7...

I don't see why Rothstein has Iowa starting 4 big guys and Tony Perkins. I think Sandfort will come off the bench and either Ulis or Conor McCaffery will play point. Perkins is more of an off guard to me... And I think he's a pretty good one...

Iowa beat us pretty convincingly last year without much from Bohannon (11) or Keegan Murray (12)... Kris Murray had a career game, but they return a good core... 

Great analysis on Iowa, and I see your point on Wisconsin.  But until the B1G stops allowing rugby basketball,  system schools like Wisconsin and Purdue will always be in the mix.(Wisconsin has only had 2 seasons in the last 13 years they've lost more than 6 games in conference!) They recruit specifically for their system, which doesn't require elite level recruits. Tough, defense minded shooters that are willing to wait their turn until they gain experience in the system has proven successful.  It also has proven to flame out in the tournament when games are called more consistent with the rules.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, a lot of the preseason prognosticators seem to have IU on the top line of their conference predictions.

Maybe I'm overly skeptical based on recent performance, but I'm having a hard time buying into that.

What does everyone else think?

I personally hate the preseason predictions. They're of course fun to discuss, but I hate how fans and media use them after the season to make huge declarations on whether a team/coach failed or succeeded. 

I think IU should absolutely finish top 4 in the conference, probably top 3. But if IU finishes 3rd, I dont view that as some failure just because so many media members projected them to win the conference. 

Did IU fail to meet expectations or were the preseason predictions just jacked up to begin with?

Long way of saying, I think we're a top 3-4 team with a legit chance to win the conference, but not the only team with a chance to win the conference. There are a lot of variables. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

He's an undersized shooting guard (6'1 and never had more than 1.6 APG in his 4 years). He scored a lot on some bad teams, but does appear to be a good shooter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

So, a lot of the preseason prognosticators seem to have IU on the top line of their conference predictions.

Maybe I'm overly skeptical based on recent performance, but I'm having a hard time buying into that.

I understand the skepticism with recent history, but we absolutely have the best team heading into the season and are rightfully being projected to win the conference.

We have best returning player in the conference, the best returning point guard in the conference, the best incoming freshman in the conference. We do still have questions at one position, but we have emphatic answers at every other spot. Not saying it's a lock we win conference because obviously it's not, but this should be a special season and we should be in it right until the end IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Our roster isn't the only determining factor, though, right? Departures and all that have to be taken into consideration and imo of the B1G teams that went to dancing last year, we BY FAR brought the most back and added two top 30 FR. 

We also have a top 5 player in the league. I also believe in development, or lack thereof, under Archie. I am a firm believer 90% of games are determined in the off-season. I don't overly value in game coaching as much as I value a coach that can develop skills, cohesion, and get a team to play team ball. Now, I think Woodson can do both, but I believe his developmental skills are really going to show in year 2 (Bates, Duncomb, and JG are hopefully the main recipients of this development). 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

You have. 6th year player 

5th year player with 126 starts(already more than Alford had…..and more than Purdue had returning on entire team)

4th year 2 time AA who would be playing pro ball in any other era 

I love all the Purdue talk !!!

As Purdue loads up on local scrubs and IU gets 5 star Mega HS semi pros….at what point do fans long for the days when IU was home grown talent?  

16 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

5th year player with 126 starts(already more than Alford had…..and more than Purdue had returning on entire team)

As Purdue loads up on local scrubs and IU gets 5 star Mega HS semi pros….at what point do fans long for the days when IU was home grown talent?  

Only if we lose.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

IU had tons of homegrown talent between 2018-2021, didn't get us very far. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great analysis on Iowa, and I see your point on Wisconsin.  But until the B1G stops allowing rugby basketball,  system schools like Wisconsin and Purdue will always be in the mix.(Wisconsin has only had 2 seasons in the last 13 years they've lost more than 6 games in conference!) They recruit specifically for their system, which doesn't require elite level recruits. Tough, defense minded shooters that are willing to wait their turn until they gain experience in the system has proven successful.  It also has proven to flame out in the tournament when games are called more consistent with the rules.

I think that perfectly describes Lorne Bowman and Ben Carlson... And they both left...Jacobi Neath and Jordan Davis are both huge question marks... 

I underestimated them last year, but I do think the well is a little dry in Madison this year... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that perfectly describes Lorne Bowman and Ben Carlson... And they both left...Jacobi Neath and Jordan Davis are both huge question marks... 

I underestimated them last year, but I do think the well is a little dry in Madison this year... 

Good points. Very puzzling why the two players you mentioned left. And full disclosure,  the 2 double digit loss years in conference for Wisconsin were within the last 5 years.  So their trend doesn't look good. Davis saved them last year from having a rough season.

Probably just bracing myself after years of letdown. I'm just sick and tired of losing to those udder tuggers!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good points. Very puzzling why the two players you mentioned left. And full disclosure,  the 2 double digit loss years in conference for Wisconsin were within the last 5 years.  So their trend doesn't look good. Davis saved them last year from having a rough season.

Probably just bracing myself after years of letdown. I'm just sick and tired of losing to those udder tuggers!

Me too... I thought we had them last year, especially the game in Madison... What a letdown...

As far as Bowman and Carlson go, it's not like Gard hasn't had issues with his team before. Micah Potter and Nate Reuvers led a mutiny of sorts a couple of years back...

One thing I know for sure, Juwan Howard isn't a fan 😁

• Haha 2