Offseason 2022

27 minutes ago, rico said:

I liked that last paragraph and it shows how fast time goes by.

Where did all those good feels from 2017 go?  Collins has gone from the darling of college basketball, leading Northwestern to their first ever NCAA Tournament appearance, to a clear hot seat.  They’ve finished below .500 all five seasons since the tourney trip, and Northwestern has finished above .500 in Big Ten play just once under Collins.  Let’s face it, Collins is coaching for his job this year, and his performance on the recruiting trail suggests the outside world has already given up on him.  The roster is starting to resemble a pre-Collins talent level with no help in sight.

Went back and looked...

They won their Big 10 opener vs Maryland. After that they lost 8 out of 9. 7 of those 8 losses were lost by an average of 5 points.

I was high on them not only last year, but the year before as well. Don't think I'll make that mistake this year... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We are the highest rated B1G team, yet only a 4th seed. The conference is tied for most teams in, but clearly is not viewed as a strong group this year 

Rightfully so after the last few years of B1G faceplants in the NCAAT coupled by a large talent drain in the offseason. I hope IU has a good enough season that they'll be higher than a 4 seed even with a down B1G.

• Like 1

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-stockrisers-after-transfer-portal-empties-189979724/#189979724_7

They have Bates on their list. Here's what they say about him:

"Tamar Bates, Indiana: Mike Woodson did not add anyone out of the transfer portal because the Hoosiers ran out of available scholarships when Trayce Jackson-Davis announced he was returning. That means Bates has a path to a huge role staring him right in the face. Bates might really be the X-Factor for Indiana in 2022-23. Indiana really needs that playmaking wing who can put pressure on the rim and be an All-Big Ten caliber weapon. Race Thompson is a really good player, but he’d be a fantastic fourth option behind Jackson-Davis, Xavier Johnson and Bates. The 6-foot-5 wing has the frame to be an impact defender, too. If Bates can earn the trust from Woodson and the Indiana coaching staff, the ceiling for the Hoosiers just completely changes."

• Like 4

Man just look at the stats for that 87 team and boy could they shoot. 

51 percent from 2

.508 from 3

77 percent from the line.

Of the starters Alford was the worst percentage shooter at 48 percent but he was over 50 from 3. Averaged 83 pts a game

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-stockrisers-after-transfer-portal-empties-189979724/#189979724_7

They have Bates on their list. Here's what they say about him:

"Tamar Bates, Indiana: Mike Woodson did not add anyone out of the transfer portal because the Hoosiers ran out of available scholarships when Trayce Jackson-Davis announced he was returning. That means Bates has a path to a huge role staring him right in the face. Bates might really be the X-Factor for Indiana in 2022-23. Indiana really needs that playmaking wing who can put pressure on the rim and be an All-Big Ten caliber weapon. Race Thompson is a really good player, but he’d be a fantastic fourth option behind Jackson-Davis, Xavier Johnson and Bates. The 6-foot-5 wing has the frame to be an impact defender, too. If Bates can earn the trust from Woodson and the Indiana coaching staff, the ceiling for the Hoosiers just completely changes."

i know it doesn't take a genius to make this observation, but i'll keep saying... if Bates is improved enough to take Kopp's starting spot,i will be really really excited about this team.  the difference of him and JHS on the wings over Stewart and Kopp would be HUGE!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know it doesn't take a genius to make this observation, but i'll keep saying... if Bates is improved enough to take Kopp's starting spot,i will be really really excited about this team.  the difference of him and JHS on the wings over Stewart and Kopp would be HUGE!

I think Bates will need to be hugely improved to take Kopp's spot.  I think CMW likes having his upper classman as starters and on the floor.  I see Kopp starting unless someone really blows the coaches away.  Kopp plays really hard, doesn't make alot of mistakes even though he is slow footed and doesn't really score.  He is a level headed players.

Nice article on Trayce 

Found this quote interesting...

"Not only will Hoosiers fans and TV networks benefit from having TJD back on the hardwood, but the Indiana native will be able to make comparable if not greater money off his name, image and likeness than he would have by likely splitting time between the G League and the NBA in his first professional year." 

That's gotta pay recruiting dividends... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm excited about this team if anyone is able to take Kopp's starting spot and/or relegate Kopp to backup minutes. I don't care if it's Bates or someone else like JHS, Geronimo, Banks, or Gunn. Kopp is by far the weakest returning starter from last season and the team would be much better if he was a backup player instead of a starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Nice article on Trayce 

Found this quote interesting...

"Not only will Hoosiers fans and TV networks benefit from having TJD back on the hardwood, but the Indiana native will be able to make comparable if not greater money off his name, image and likeness than he would have by likely splitting time between the G League and the NBA in his first professional year." 

That's gotta pay recruiting dividends... 

I'm not sure what podcast I heard this one (because I listen to too many), but they were saying if TJD has a similar year in production to last year, he has a chance to finish #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounds and #1 in blocks (in IU history). That is just crazy to wrap your head around. Staying can also put him into upper tier legend status. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not sure what podcast I heard this one (because I listen to too many), but they were saying if TJD has a similar year in production to last year, he has a chance to finish #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounds and #1 in blocks (in IU history). That is just crazy to wrap your head around. Staying can also put him into upper tier legend status. 

What's really impressive about that is that one of his seasons was shorter than typical due to COVID and he's only played in 2 NCAAT games. This shows just how healthy he's been able to stay and how productive he's been.

• Like 2