Jump to content

Offseason 2022


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think things will be lots different with the potential studs that he has at his disposal

I agree. He worked with what he had and honestly did a great job throwing/keeping that level of roster together last year.

When you look at how he has been recruiting, how our defense improved, the buy-in from the players, some of the offense stats like percentage of open looks…. I think we got our guy. Hope we get a decade out of him. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2022 at 3:59 PM, Inequality said:

Small poolside update came through this morning. Hope you all are having a great summer.

Per conversation, JHS is the best guard on the team and it’s not even close.

Malik Reneau is better than Race all over the board. Kaleb Banks also.

Talk about Bates was good as well.

My take after that info, this is Woodsons deal to screw up. This is one of the better assembled teams as IU has had in a long time. As long as he puts the best 5 on the floor no matter their age/year, the trajectory is up. Otherwise, future recruiting will suffer.

 

Just catching up on this thread. Thank you for adding this and great to hear the reports on Banks. Much like Gunn he has to be one of the least talked about recruits we've had in a long time. I get the pub for JHS/Malik....but Banks wasn't some 200 ranked flier.

Coach Woodson has handled ego in the league for decades. I have 100% confidence in him handling whatever tough decisions on playing time will bring. If I were betting he'll lean with veterans early on and see how things transpire until January 1st.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

race will be tough to beat out with his defense & rebounding but if it happens that would mean someone blew up.

 

i honestly doubt CMW would refuse to play freshman if they are ready.   

I don't think Race will necessarily get beat out, but it's not hard to envision something like 30 minutes for TJD, 25 for Race and 25 for MR. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think Race will necessarily get beat out, but it's not hard to envision something like 30 minutes for TJD, 25 for Race and 25 for MR. 

we haven’t had this much talent depth on paper in the front court since Jesus was a youngster 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

we haven’t had this much talent depth on paper in the front court since Jesus was a youngster 

Agreed. And it isn’t like it’s just those three, we still have Geronimo and I haven’t given up on Duncomb at some point being a contributor (not next year unless we get hit with injuries). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed. And it isn’t like it’s just those three, we still have Geronimo and I haven’t given up on Duncomb at some point being a contributor (not next year unless we get hit with injuries). 

A good frontcourt player is gonna get squeezed out…hard to play everyone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

we haven’t had this much talent depth on paper in the front court since Jesus was a youngster 

Great point! Seems like for at least the last 20ish years the big men have all been one at a time. 

Not that there weren't some decent role playing bigs alongside these guys, but you had Jeffries, Killingsworth, DJ White, Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant, Morgan (not really a true big) and then TJD, but all pretty much one at a time. 

I'm pretty sure White was injured the Killingsworth year and Morgan wasn't really ready his freshmen year with Bryant. 

I remember after Zeller's sophomore year but before he declared for the NBA, thinking how great it would he to have a year where Zeller and Vonleh are teaming together with Luke Fisher learning from Zeller off the bench. 

This TJD, Race, Reneau scenario isn't one IU has been fortunate enough to have very often. 

It's a great way to build continuity moving forward. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Little trip down memory lane with Bob Hammel.

One thing I loved about the article. People forget sometimes how good Steve Downing was for IU... 

That article was quite a treat.  I wish I was old enough to watch Bootsie.  He sounds like a character.  I was only a toddler then.

The 48 and 25 stat line is mind boggling.

It's absolutely astounding that the first game ever at AH still has the record for boards in a game, 26.  It's hard to make that up.

In the dictionary, under Folksy, there is a picture of Bob Hammel, with Harry S Truman taking honorable mention.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

A good frontcourt player is gonna get squeezed out…hard to play everyone 

They won’t all play. I personally think it’s pretty obvious three of them are playing 20+ every night and that doesn’t leave a lot for everyone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Great point! Seems like for at least the last 20ish years the big men have all been one at a time. 

Not that there weren't some decent role playing bigs alongside these guys, but you had Jeffries, Killingsworth, DJ White, Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant, Morgan (not really a true big) and then TJD, but all pretty much one at a time. 

I'm pretty sure White was injured the Killingsworth year and Morgan wasn't really ready his freshmen year with Bryant. 

I remember after Zeller's sophomore year but before he declared for the NBA, thinking how great it would he to have a year where Zeller and Vonleh are teaming together with Luke Fisher learning from Zeller off the bench. 

This TJD, Race, Reneau scenario isn't one IU has been fortunate enough to have very often. 

It's a great way to build continuity moving forward. 

I think it’s much the same at point guard, too. We have XJ and JHS this year, then JHS and Cupps, then we should have Cupps for a while.

It hasn’t been as long as point guard, but probably since Hulls and Yogi that we had a handoff of true lead guards overlapping each other. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s much the same at point guard, too. We have XJ and JHS this year, then JHS and Cupps, then we should have Cupps for a while.

It hasn’t been as long as point guard, but probably since Hulls and Yogi that we had a handoff of true lead guards overlapping each other. 

True. It's almost as if we've had poor roster management for the past 20 years.... Oh, wait, we have

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great point! Seems like for at least the last 20ish years the big men have all been one at a time. 

Not that there weren't some decent role playing bigs alongside these guys, but you had Jeffries, Killingsworth, DJ White, Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant, Morgan (not really a true big) and then TJD, but all pretty much one at a time. 

I'm pretty sure White was injured the Killingsworth year and Morgan wasn't really ready his freshmen year with Bryant. 

I remember after Zeller's sophomore year but before he declared for the NBA, thinking how great it would he to have a year where Zeller and Vonleh are teaming together with Luke Fisher learning from Zeller off the bench. 

This TJD, Race, Reneau scenario isn't one IU has been fortunate enough to have very often. 

It's a great way to build continuity moving forward. 

Not just continuity but to improve practice. The old adage iron sharpens iron. Having good guards practicing and facing off helps a lot…but how difficult is it for bigs to get that experience against other fellow bigs to push, test, and strengthen each other’s games. As a freshman for Reneau imagine the learning experience he is getting all offseason on the floor going up against Trayce and Race. He’s never faced guys like that before…the learning curve will be much smaller for him to get up to speed. And it works for Trayce too. He has struggled at times with elite bigs…doesn’t hurt that he has some decent talent in practice to help keep him sharpe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not just continuity but to improve practice. The old adage iron sharpens iron. Having good guards practicing and facing off helps a lot…but how difficult is it for bigs to get that experience against other fellow bigs to push, test, and strengthen each other’s games. As a freshman for Reneau imagine the learning experience he is getting all offseason on the floor going up against Trayce and Race. He’s never faced guys like that before…the learning curve will be much smaller for him to get up to speed. And it works for Trayce too. He has struggled at times with elite bigs…doesn’t hurt that he has some decent talent in practice to help keep him sharpe.

From Reneau's interview the other day, it sounds like the biggest adjustment for him is not being able to just muscle through guys anymore. Going up against bigs who are not only strong but skilled should definitely help him make that adjustment quickly.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s much the same at point guard, too. We have XJ and JHS this year, then JHS and Cupps, then we should have Cupps for a while.

It hasn’t been as long as point guard, but probably since Hulls and Yogi that we had a handoff of true lead guards overlapping each other. 

Finally, some promising leadership.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

As long as we don't face a stretch zone with 2 guys who are sub 6'0 right?

I don't think we have to worry about that. Don't think it's a stretch to think by the tournament our best lineup is X, JHS, Bates or Banks, Race (or MR?), and TJD.

That said, I don't want to rule out or forget about guys like Galloway or even Kopp. They both bring some things to the table that will be vital for this team, and it wouldn't shock me to see those too be really hard to keep off the floor, too. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...