Offseason 2022

Just now, btownqb said:

I said an ungodly amount of running and 1-2 games.. with the details we currently know. 

unknowns- where the charges go from here, XJs performance in the classroom/as a teammate in day to day activities, his response today and this week, and what the resisting actually stemmed from. 

jmo

If those things aren't "in order", yeah, he probably will be dismissed. 

i'm sure you are right.  you always are.  thanks for enlightening me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

No it's not, they all preach part of the IU family and Xavier is part of that.

Even with family members there is a breaking point when you have to just let go and let that person get the help needed.  I saw my aunt and uncle keep getting my two cousins out of trouble time after time because of alcohol and drugs but it never helped.  They kept drinking and eventually killed both of them.  One because of the liver damage and the other throwing up while passed out and he died.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree and it is up to Woodson what to do but just stating my opinion on what I would do.  I know that doesn't matter one bit in these circumstances but that is how I feel.

Well you also don’t spend 1000s of hours growing and grooming these kids in and out of the gym…so really your and my opinions don’t matter. Woody will do what is best. If it’s best to remove him away from the rest of “his” family then he will do that to protect the other kids…if not he will discipline him and bring him back in and hope he makes the most of that last chance.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, Hoosierfan1215 said:

All I’m saying is if you all had a family member who was killed by a driver speeding (I’ve had 2) one in a car and 1 on a sidewalk who was 7 years old and your little brother and he was hit by a driver going 50 in a 25, you may look at it a little bit more serious than just a “ whoops bad decision”.In this situation thank goodness nobody was hurt. 

Take out the basketball aspect and if that’s your family member who was potentially put it harms way, it’s serious to you then. Imagine your son or daughter is driving home and that car turns just a little bit the wrong way and hits them. There always potential for things to go wrong anytime you’re in a car, but definitely shows a severe lack of good decision making and disregard for anyone but himself. We’ve all made bad decisions, but just because he ain’t perfect and neither are we doesn’t mean it’s okay either.

In terms of being on the team I’ll leave that up to coach obviously, but I hope he learns his lesson regardless if he’s on the team or not and learns it isn’t all about X. If this was on somebody else’s team ya’ll would be all over him more than you are. 

My only post on the subject. 

I had a sister killed in a drunk driving accident, but that doesn't change my opinion about he shouldn't be kicked off the team. He is a young man that made a stupid mistake and hopefully he learns from it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scott, did you have a mom and dad that were involved in your life growing up? did they buy you things? teach you things? mentor you? tell you they loved you? made sure you had clothes and food? got you to dr appts? 

I have no idea if XJ had those things or not... but "how hard is it for kids to stay out of trouble" ... yeah there are about a ZILLION reasons for that. 

Come on man. You want him kicked off, ok. I think that is BS.. but it is your opinion. You are entitled to it. But, to me, coming on here and just being oblivious to why a HUMAN being makes a mistake is simply something I don't get. It's evident XJ needs guidance. He needed that before he got here and still does. 

And I know you will fire back with.. "playing at IU should be a privilege" and all that. And I get that, I do. Obviously XJ isn't. Either he needs one whale of a reminder, or he is kicked off. 

XJ has model parents. Both USAF retirees...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Have spent more than one weekend in jail for stupid stuff. Have driven at insane speeds high out of my mind, and have actually totalled my motorcylce on the interstate (falling asleep while riding after a cocaine binge). Things can and do happen when you are young. Sometimes you want/need to test boundaries and see how far you can push things.

Doesn’t make it right, but kids and young people often don’t understand or know what the right things are. 

It can take time to be a reasonable, law abiding adult. 

I've been there myself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Even with family members there is a breaking point when you have to just let go and let that person get the help needed.  I saw my aunt and uncle keep getting my two cousins out of trouble time after time because of alcohol and drugs but it never helped.  They kept drinking and eventually killed both of them.  One because of the liver damage and the other throwing up while passed out and he died.

As far as I know this is his first run in with the law. If it was a regular thing then you might have a point but I haven't heard of any other ones.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

XJ has model parents. Both USAF retirees...

So do I.... 

I still, until I hit just absolute rock freaking bottom.... didn't get it. Lost a 5 year relationship, ungodly amounts of friendships, and one heckuva college opportunity as a result. 

There is a disconnect with XJ. Find his why. That is Woodson's job. 

It very well may be the young people he worked with this week. It was for me. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

My decision would be based on WWF4TD ( what would final 4 teams do?)

Kansas, Duke, UNC (1 game suspension).  Villanova (3 game suspension)

Seriously, as sad as it is, you are not going to win these days with high morals. Its more of an excuse.  Well, maybe we aren't that good, but at least we follow all the rules. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If XJ has done everything right up until this point with school, practice, the law…I would be shocked if he gets dismissed. I’m sure he will miss games and will pay in a much worse way then the court will probably do.

That said I don’t know. If he has some history he could be gone. 

I wonder if this was Trayce would people feel differently. Is it because XJ is more polarizing on the floor? Just hope if he does stay people don’t use this to criticize the guy on the floor every time he misses a shot or has a turnover because on the floor he was key to turning our season around and us making the tournament.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he was my family I wouldn't turn away from him but that is different than being a scholarship player.

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

...and i definitely have done a lot of bad things in my life.  also realize college kids do crazy things.  really though?  sorry, if you do this kind of stuff, you do deserve consequences.  

If X was some random dude working in the Garden Center at Home Depot, should he lose his job for this, based on the facts we have now (meaning, no drugs/alcohol, he didn't punch a policeman, etc.)?

Frankly, while I suppose it fits the definition of the law, 'switching drivers' is about as soft a definition of 'resisting arrest' that you can get.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5

Just now, Maud'Dib said:

My decision would be based on WWF4TD ( what would final 4 teams do?)

Kansas, Duke, UNC (1 game suspension).  Villanova (3 game suspension)

Seriously, as sad as it is, you are not going to win these days with high morals. Its more of an excuse.  Well, maybe we aren't that good, but at least we follow all the rules. 

He definitely deserves to be punished, but kicked off the team seems a little drastic and don't think that should or will happen. He'll plea to a lesser charge, do community service or whatever. Not sure why this isn't enough for people to be honest. Players get trashed and knock people out, they don't get kicked off the team.

• Like 8

You know something that X should do?  And, it would be very hard.  Go back to that classroom of kids that he just met with last week, apologize to them, and talk to them about making good choices.  That's exactly the type of positive thing you can get out of a situation like this that you won't get if you simply kick him to the curb.

• Like 8

Just now, 5fouls said:

You know something that X should do?  And, it would be very hard.  Go back to that classroom of kids that he just met with last week, apologize to them, and talk to them about making good choices.  That's exactly the type of positive thing you can get out of a situation like this that you won't get if you simply kick him to the curb.

You get it. 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If XJ has done everything right up until this point with school, practice, the law…I would be shocked if he gets dismissed. I’m sure he will miss games and will pay in a much worse way then the court will probably do.

That said I don’t know. If he has some history he could be gone. 

I wonder if this was Trayce would people feel differently. Is it because XJ is more polarizing on the floor? Just hope if he does stay people don’t use this to criticize the guy on the floor every time he misses a shot or has a turnover because on the floor he was key to turning our season around and us making the tournament.

My thinking on X is that he was already suspended once so this is another strike.  If he hadn't been suspended earlier in the year and not had trouble with the coach at Pitt I might feel differently.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If X was some random dude working in the Garden Center at Home Depot, should he lose his job for this, based on the facts we have now (meaning, no drugs/alcohol, he didn't punch a policeman, etc.)?

Frankly, while I suppose it fits the definition of the law, 'switching drivers' is about as soft a definition of 'resisting arrest' that you can get.

If the boss found out about it I would think most professions would fire the employee.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Psshhh 

Carlos Dunlap had a DUI at Florida and played THAT week in the conference championship game.  

One of Meyer's finest feats. 

This is basketball player…we all know football players are no where near treated the same as other sports scholarship atheletes…especially in the SEC.

• Like 1