Offseason 2022

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have no problem with X being our on-court leader.

Off court? He's obviously got two strikes against him, but based on what we know for sure about those two incidents it's hard to act like he's a bad apple. I would bet more young males have committed reckless driving than those that haven't, and the same with curfew. It's dumb and he got caught doing both and should be handled accordingly, but l don't know that we can go beyond saying he did a couple dumb things just yet. 

On court leader??You serious?Real leader.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have no problem with X being our on-court leader.

Off court? He's obviously got two strikes against him, but based on what we know for sure about those two incidents it's hard to act like he's a bad apple. I would bet more young males have committed reckless driving than those that haven't, and the same with curfew. It's dumb and he got caught doing both and should be handled accordingly, but l don't know that we can go beyond saying he did a couple dumb things just yet. 

I get it…and I’ve been pretty supportive of the kid on here…so I’m trying to be objective here but the thing is with a close nit team like this…on the court and off is basically the same thing when it comes to being a Leader…it all works together. I’m not saying he isn’t a good kid etc…but if he is our only upper class man and our defacto leader…that could be a problem because he does have leadership issues…we’ve seen two very obvious lapses of judgement to know that for a fact. I don’t mind having guys with strikes on their records…as long as we have strong leadership at the top. In the end woody will figure it out…just saying I can see why he may go either way with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

still not getting that people don't think going 90 in a 45 and then trying to resist arrest isn't a big deal.  or that doing it after the Chicago incident doesn't matter.  

Do you think some random guy working in the Garden Center at Home Depot should be fired for this exact same offense?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

This is about more than just doing 90 in a 25 and in no way is it relative to a Walmart greeter in the same situation.

He’s very lucky no one was killed including himself or the other two in the car with him.

This is about compete disregard to the culture that a brand new coach is trying to establish. A mockery of the team rules and complete disrespect of the coaching staff, athletic department, Indiana University and his teammates.

Unlike the Walmart greeter, while XJ is on the team, he doesn’t get to clock out and be on his own time. Where arrest as such would likely be irrelevant to his job status. Instead he is also held accountable to rules set forth in his scholarship agreement on top of local law. He is held to a higher standard of expectations.

I think it’s wrong to say he should be kicked off the team from our perspective as fans. But, I can’t see how allowing him to continually make mistakes while also remaining a starter on the team is doing any good towards establishing a reputable & winning culture that parents of other players and recruits want their kids to be part of.

AEF53ACD-2AD4-4BDC-9273-5A4E56A527F6.jpeg

Let's say the worst did happen in this mythical scenario.

Assume Billy Basketball at Big City Tech killed someone due to his reckless driving on Monday.

Then, on Tuesday, Wendy Walmart Greeter killed someone in the same town due to her reckless driving.

You are the judge for both defendants.  The circumstances are exactly the same except one happened on Monday and the other happened on Tuesday.  Does Billy get a heftier sentence than Wendy from you because he was on scholarship at a state university at the time of his accident?

I ask because the post I quoted sure sounds like you are holding Billy to a higher standard because he has a scholarship and Wendy doesn't. 

You can talk about the Law all you want.  But, in essence, X's scholarship is his employment.  The Indiana athletic department is his employer in the sense that they have a code of conduct he must abide by to remain on scholarship.  So, I ask, why should a college kid on a sports team have a higher/tougher code of conduct than Wendy at Walmart or Dr. Speedy, the orthopedic surgeon at the local hospital?   WalMart has a Code of Conduct.  As does the hospital.  Neither is going to be so tough to fire an employee over an incident like this (based on the current knowledge we have).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well I have never been arrested or done anything that would warrant be put in jail.  I just don't see how it is so hard for kids to stay out of trouble and do the right things.

Neither have I been arrested, but off the top of my head, I drank a few times before I was 21 and I once got a digital speedo to read 127 mph.

I probably wasn't under the same level of scrutiny that an IU athlete is, but that doesn't mean I didn't deserve the trouble he's experiencing.  My younger sister ran from a cop, hid and got away with it.  She was literally number one in her class and is a respected doctor today.

If you never did anything misdemeanor-worthy, you've lived a squeaky-clean life.  That's not the majority of us, though.  I'm pissed at X's stupidity here, but I don't think ruining his life is the answer...at least not with what I've heard thus far.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you think some random guy working in the Garden Center at Home Depot should be fired for this exact same offense?

It’s not the same thing as a kid that’s also accountable to team and university rules as well as the face of an NIL sponsor and expected to be an ambassador to the IUBB program. 

The fact that he made an attempt to let another person take the fall says a lot about his character.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

The fact that he made an attempt to let another person take the fall says a lot about his character.

I'll counter that and say that was a panicked move in the heat of the moment. 

I'll say reaching out and requesting to speak to a group of school children is a more well thought decision that is a better indicator of his character.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ruining his life.Personal responsibility

What we know about this offense is not remotely enough to ruin someone's life........unless there is an overreaction.  

Do you think some random dude working at the Garden Center of Home Depot should be fired for this same offense?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually a valid statement. Even if it was a ‘22 Corvette with a factory track package, you can’t just lock it up from that speed. On a normal road, you’re talking 2-3 miles down the road before you could get it stopped, minimum. 

would you expect me to type a non valid statement?

I only stated this from experience, I'm a pilot and I know damn well how long it takes to slow down. There's only one way to do it, without fatalities. Slowly, cautiously and with much respect of how physics can really eff up a human body. This can only mean, X got himself sped up, then understood the circumstances, made a conscious decision to carefully slow down and "win the game". JUST to have a Ted Valentine officer want some fame... err' I mean... FLAME.    

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

What we know about this offense is not remotely enough to ruin someone's life........unless there is an overreaction.  

Do you think some random dude working at the Garden Center of Home Depot should be fired for this same offense?

I don't know is he one of 13 Home Depot workers who represent the company on a national level as a Indiana basketball player is supposed to represent the university.Higher standards maybe?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Some of you if you knew half the stuff not reported thats happened with IU players over the years, your heads would explode.  in the late 80's I played slow pitch softball and a current IU player at the time played 3 summers with us. One game this player was so high he couldnt get out of his car before the 3rd inning.

Just because they play basketball at IU doesnt mean they wont make mistakes, just like other kids.

What position did Jay Edwards play in the field for you guys? 😂 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Some of you if you knew half the stuff not reported thats happened with IU players over the years, your heads would explode.  in the late 80's I played slow pitch softball and a current IU player at the time played 3 summers with us. One game this player was so high he couldnt get out of his car before the 3rd inning.

Just because they play basketball at IU doesnt mean they wont make mistakes, just like other kids.

Should have gone with a sativa.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't know is he one of 13 Home Depot workers who represent the company on a national level as a Indiana basketball player is supposed to represent the university.Higher standards maybe?

Let's pretend your brother is on an elite task force at Apple developing the next Generation iPhone.  He's considered one of the most valuable members to the ultimate success of the project.  He gets pulled over somewhere in Silicon Valley for basically the same thing we have here.  Are you anonymously posting on an Apple message board that he should be fired?

If you wouldn't do that, then why are you doing it here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll counter that and say that was a panicked move in the heat of the moment. 

I'll say reaching out and requesting to speak to a group of school children is a more well thought decision that is a better indicator of his character.   

And my counter would be grasping at straws. He shouldn't get a free pass just because he’s a good point guard. And if he does, expect more of the same down the road with the same free passes to be fair.

His goodwill interaction with children doesn’t override his failure to make good choices. He can’t continue to turn a blind eye to team rules let alone completely disrespect local law and authority.

I’m not saying throw him to the wolves. I think this along with other things will be considered in coach Woodsons decision. However, I am concerned that his habitual disrespect to rule while getting a free scholarship ride poses a threat to establishing an acceptable culture. The off the court stuff and how it’s handled matter to families who’s kids could potentially be interested in the program.

He did what he did. No one made him. He’s accountable. I am certainly not going to make excuses for him. 

21 minutes ago, Inequality said:

It’s not the same thing as a kid that’s also accountable to team and university rules as well as the face of an NIL sponsor and expected to be an ambassador to the IUBB program. 

Actually it is the same

Today’s society overreacts and wants to over punish a public figure because he should be held to a higher standard. Why he made a mistake.  The legal system will punish him. Woodson will punish him. What ever it is fine. 
XJ can learn from this and become a better person from it. 

• Like 2