Offseason 2022

41 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

After further reading, it isn't that you "made a mistake". The narrative changed, somehow, to a much more serious claim of resisting arrest by many. You just so happened to be the first I saw, but then found MANY are buying it hook line and sinker.

This has turned into a great example of the telephone game, and we all can see what everyone says... and it still gets effed up.

So, it wasn't personal sir.

And my mistake was innocent and the rest of the message states what i was getting at. But i appreciate your response.

Have a good day sir.  I have also edited my original post to ensure further mistakes are not carried forward.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

I talked to Chris Rock yesterday and he was planning his set for an upcoming show in Bloomington and I talked him out of opening with I just saw the headline Xavier Johnson arrested for Reckless Driving. That could have been the headline in the Sports section of the IDS for a big part of the  season for the IU guard. I did not want to risk him getting slapped by CMW, worse outcome I feared.  Just a little levity and I don't apologize for those that are offended. 

I hate seeing young men make mistakes and I trust the people closer to the situation and that know much more than any of us make the right decision whatever that is. Obviously poor judgement now its the just wait and see. Usually Indiana wins the off season and then it goes to hell either this is an opposite scenario or hold on gonna be a wild ride. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Wow, this was a NON team issue with X, and your hot take is to put the decision process on TJD's shoulders? Manopause hot flashes are a cruel bugger! 

I would not tell TJD that the decision was up to him, listen, this is going to make some heads explode around here but all these guys are potentially getting paid.  There is talk that TJD would make more money from NIL if he stayed then he would from a G league contract.  So if I was a former NBA coach who was in charge of the basically semi-pro Indiana Hoosiers, my decision would be more like a pro coach.

So if you have a guy around who is a secondary piece but is a bit of a distraction what do you do with them?  Well, if you lose your main player in free agency, you tend to let them go and start over.  If you still have your superstar, you are willing to put up with a certain level of distraction as long as on court results make up for the distraction.

Xavier has shown on at least 2 occasions that he gets teammates caught up in his BS when it happens (or he joins in with teammates when they may be making poor decisions.)  If you are in full rebuild mode with TJD leaving (half the team will be new guys at that point) do you want to continue taking chances on someone who makes poor decisions?  Is the risk worth it for your culture if the player is not likely to impact the W/L record much anyway?  I say no.  I like X, but the guy is Jeckyll and Hyde.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have a question for every person on this board.  Assume this is at it appears, which is reckless driving due to excessive speed, and trying to switch drivers, and there is NOT a DUI component.

If driving is not your occupation (bus driver, taxi/uber driver, school bus driver, etc.), would you personally think someone should lose their job for this type of offense?  

• Should the checkout lady at the grocer lose her job?
  • How about the guy working the garden center at Home Depot?
  • The secretary at the accountant's office?
  • Should a doctor lose his/her medical license?
  • An assembly line worker at Ford?

If your answer is that none of those people should lose their job because of this type of offense, but you want/expect X to be kicked off the IU basketball team, then you are a hypocrite.  The fact is that none of those people above are going to lose their job based on the evidence we have for X's offense.  Not a single one of them.  So, your expectation is to hold a college kid to a higher standard than other people all over the world.

Take away his driver's license, run his ass off, and sit him for a few games.  That's what we should be talking about here.

Some of you seem incapable of looking at college basketball players as human beings.

Not that I disagree but I like to counter arguments and to play devils advocate. Some of those options that you listed are not a fair representation. Like the Dr, losing license means losing career not just that job. If X is kicked off team he can still be a student and also a basketball player someone else. 

If I own a grocery store in a small town in Indiana and my clerk does that they probably lose their job to be honest. Not for the driving but for the wanting someone else to take the fall for it. Makes me think that they are either hiding something or they know there are serious consequences for their actions if caught. Either way I don't want that person being an important point of contact for my business. I think that line of thinking can be applied to some of the scenarios that you listed. That clerk represents that local grocery store and the owner has a brand to uphold. X is one of the faces of Indiana basketball and has a certain standard to uphold. People make mistakes all the time so I am not judging. I do not live in a glass house and trust the staff to do what is right. I just don't see the scenarios listed as a good comparison. There are many profession that a Level 6 felony would cost people to lose their jobs. 

It might seem trivial but allowing someone else to take the fall for his stupidity just does not sit well with me. I can't get past that part of it. Maybe the guy volunteered because he did not have as much to lose but somewhere I recall reading "to whom much is given much is required."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

So we change our name. The Indiana Hurrying Scott Monks.

I'm getting a little tired of our Holy Virtue Signalling. We "hire" kids to play ball, not be a Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry experiment specimen within the IU "fan base". 

CMW, go do what you need to do, It's your job, not ours! We will be there to cheer.

If you don't like it tough, it is a you problem and not mine

• Confused 1

Here's a good article on XJ and his parents. 

I, too, was in the USAF for over 20 years, and raised 3 kids during that time, and the Johnson's story is not a rare one. I'm not saying military folks are better parents than most, but the balance between a military career, children, and money can be a difficult road to navigate. 

I guess my point is, XJ is going to have more than a few difficult conversations this week, and the one with his parents, who sacrificed so much for him to succeed, will be the most difficult. 

No matter the outcome on the legal end, or his tenure with the team, I hope he wakes up and sees what he's doing to the people who love him, sacrificed for him, and put him in the position to achieve success.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To me there is way to much coddling of kids today and that is part of the problem with society today. If kids keep making huge mistakes they need to know their are consequences for their actions.  If they just keep getting a little slap on the wrist it won't deter their actions.  I think that is why every night on the news we see all of these crimes committed by young adults.

• Like 1

As most of you know I am not a fan of XJ and would love to see him gone. But as a coach I hope Woodson has the same approach as I have towards players. He should do what is right for XJ ,the boy and not take into account how it will affect the team. If he truly cares about his players he will make the right call.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

As most of you know I am not a fan of XJ and would love to see him gone. But as a coach I hope Woodson has the same approach as I have towards players. He should do what is right for XJ ,the boy and not take into account how it will affect the team. If he truly cares about his players he will make the right call.

So you're saying if Mike Woodson thinks keeping him on the team after the dust settles is the right thing to do, you're good with that, right?

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me there is way to much coddling of kids today and that is part of the problem with society today. If kids keep making huge mistakes they need to know their are consequences for their actions.  If they just keep getting a little slap on the wrist it won't deter their actions.  I think that is why every night on the news we see all of these crimes committed by young adults.

I don’t think anybody is drawing a line in the sand and saying that Scott. Life is made up of grey areas. Unless you know the specific circumstances about this situation and XJ personally, then you can’t make a grand sweeping judgement like you are. 

That’s it.

I think you are missing the point, which is why - once again, everybody is disagreeing with you. 

@btownqb brought up the point that you don’t know every kid’s circumstances. Knowing that he’s a teacher and a coach, I’m sure he sees this every day. As a coach myself, I see this. There are kids who don’t deserve second chances and there are some that do. If you know a kid well enough, you know their intentions. You know if they are truly remorseful. You know their character. The point being is that you don’t know XJ well enough to fairly make the judgement you are making. None of us do.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Coach Shep said:

I am not good with that because I dont think he will help. But I am not at practice or behind the scenes. I have always said he must be some great practice player to get the minutes he does in the games.

You're contradicting yourself... 

You said...

12 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

He should do what is right for XJ

Now you seem to be saying he won't help the team, so he should be kicked off...

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is 22, he isn't a "kid".

What he did was dumb.  It did not cost his team this time, if it happened 2 months ago it would have.  It also puts the coaching staff in a tough spot because he is one of the best players on the team, so it almost looks like a slap on the wrist and then back to the status quo for him if he comes back.  

He was doing 90, he ran from the police blowing stop signs while attempting to do it, he pulled into what I assume was their apartment complex and then tried to get another guy to claim he was driving...this wasn't like drunk driving, but this wasn't just speeding either.

So it goes back to my post above, if TJD stays, you maybe punish him with a couple game suspension at the beginning of the year and take the risk that he might mess up again, because with TJD, the team maybe can do something next year.  For me though, I would not take that risk if we don't have TJD next year.  Nothing against the guy, but these little incidents in the past led to a guy getting hit by a car driven by his own teammate several years back.  That stuff under Crean didn't start at a 10, it started with stupid little incidents that escalated over time.  Curfew violations have now escalated to this.  Bringing him back is a risk to the team culture.   Period.

Just now, IUFLA said:

You're contradicting yourself... 

You said...

Now you seem to be saying he won't help the team, so he should be kicked off...

He is saying X should leave because he is not a good player.

He thinks he should not be forced.out due to the incident.

He is actually pretty clear here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think X is our most important player. There were multiple games towards the end of the year, he was our best player on the floor. 

Woodson's job will be decided by wins and losses, not the character of the kids on the floor. I don't want bad kids, but just like NIL and some other things. I would gladly take kids in the grey area. Doing it the "right way" is over, it's past time we get with the reality of what college athletics always has been. Wins and losses fellas, nothing else matters.  

Give the kid the keys to this team and one of those old crean "all gas no brake shirts". Obviously he's living it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

He is saying X should leave because he is not a good player.

He thinks he should not be forced.out due to the incident.

He is actually pretty clear here. 

If you say so...

I take "he should do what's right for XJ" in a more personal construct light than in a basketball sense...

If Mike Woodson didn't think he was a good enough player, he'd already have been in the portal after the exit briefs...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I try to do the right things in life and do it and it really isn't hard at all

Do, or do not. There is no try.

You might try to always do the right thing, but do you always? Every single time? You’re human. The answer is no. You’ve had lapses in judgment the same as anyone else. Maybe you’ve had fewer than most, but there have been some. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1