Offseason 2022

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This isn't really true.

And yes, Bates for sure has more ability then Parker and Kopp... why didn't he show that more often when given the opportunity? Bates not playing anymore than he did is 100% on him. 

I think it 1000% true. We can't be excited when a 5 star picks us due to perception,  then bury our heads in the sand and make an excuse when they leave.  His minutes were short. In my opinion if he had a longer leash, and more minutes, we would have seen more in game development.  You have to play to get experience.   Feed your future, not two guys who just aren't good enough

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I think it 1000% true. We can't be excited when a 5 star picks us due to perception,  then bury our heads in the sand and make an excuse when they leave.  His minutes were short. In my opinion if he had a longer leash, and more minutes, we would have seen more in game development.  You have to play to get experience.   Feed your future, not two guys who just aren't good enough

It will effect recruiting zero that Bates couldn't get on the court anymore than he could.  

Not sure who categorized Bates as a 5 star, they clearly whiffed though. 

• Haha 1

With Bates and younger players... there is a "baseline" or certain qualifiers that you have to meet before you can even get in the rotation. Having an absurd TO rate and being lost consistently defensively makes you a N/A... you aren't playing if you are doing those two things. Again... it's his own doing that he didn't play more, the opportunity was there. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It will effect recruiting zero that Bates couldn't get on the court anymore than he could.  

Not sure who categorized Bates as a 5 star, they clearly whiffed though. 

Never understand people thinking 5 star recruits are worried about anything.  Most think they are gods gift….

bates & lander weren’t scared of any IU guards….but here we are 

KL….if he wants to stay what does MW tell him? 
Leal…I think this is a big summer for him to earn minutes.  

Was there no way to get MK/PS at one spot and Bates/Leal/JG more time?

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Never understand people thinking 5 star recruits are worried about anything.  Most think they are gods gift….

bates & lander weren’t scared of any IU guards….but here we are 

KL….if he wants to stay what does MW tell him? 
Leal…I think this is a big summer for him to earn minutes.  

Was there no way to get MK/PS at one spot and Bates/Leal/JG more time?

JG's problem is/was his problem is he doesn't currently have the ability to play on the perimeter, basically on either end of the court. 

As mentioned, Bates just didn't check enough boxes to get on the court. Defense and decision making were massively lacking. Leal just isn't as good as Kopp currently, or probably PS. 

The 5 stars will see how JHS comes in this season and operates. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I just don't understand why some "observations" are passed off as "fact". We can't say someone should have played over another person, we don't have the information needed to make a claim like that. 

We were never going to just throw the FR to the wolves. LD and TB aren't talented enough and physically ready enough to do that. Saw posts and talked to a guy this morning that said Bates should have just taken all of Kopp's mins all year long? I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. 

It was pretty evident the staff and CMW knew exactly who should and shouldn't be playing when we subbed with 6 or 7 mins left. Bates is just erratic right now and a lost soul defensively, LD threw one of the worst outlet passes I have ever seen last night in that game. They just weren't viable options this year and Durr being on our roster as an emergency isn't the issue. 

I think you make some completely fair points. I just personally feel Durr brings ZERO to the table. It makes sense though that LD wasn’t ready and don’t want to ruin his confidence so I can completely respect that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think you make some completely fair points. I just personally feel Durr brings ZERO to the table. It makes sense though that LD wasn’t ready and don’t want to ruin his confidence so I can completely respect that.

You didnt think Durr was pretty valuable against Purdue? 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

With Bates and younger players... there is a "baseline" or certain qualifiers that you have to meet before you can even get in the rotation. Having an absurd TO rate and being lost consistently defensively makes you a N/A... you aren't playing if you are doing those two things. Again... it's his own doing that he didn't play more, the opportunity was there. 

I couldn't agree more on Bates.  I like the skill set and think he can get a lot better.  But Woody needs to really get through to him.  I agree with all you said. I would add that he puts his head down and wants to shoot like a total black hole.  He did that at least 2-3 times last night.  It's not winning basketball.  Bates seems like a good kid who is coachable.  Woody is used to the black hole guys from the NBA.  Maybe he can reason with him. 

Master Bates also has to get a lot stronger and be able to work in traffic with more strength.  He has very good potential but he has a ton to work on.  I hope he gets there, because there is considerable ability there.  The problem is that all the natural talent in the world won't matter if you don't play winning basketball.

There is no way I go into next season putting him down as a starter in ink.  Would love to see him earn it.  But we have to protect ourselves by getting a transfer who can start at SG.  

Woody said last night in the postgame that we needed defense on the wing and shooting.  Hopefully we add a starting caliber player for the spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I couldn't agree more on Bates.  I like the skill set and think he can get a lot better.  But Woody needs to really get through to him.  I agree with all you said. I would add that he puts his head down and wants to shoot like a total black hole.  He did that at least 2-3 times last night.  It's not winning basketball.  Bates seems like a good kid who is coachable.  Woody is used to the black hole guys from the NBA.  Maybe he can reason with him. 

Master Bates also has to get a lot stronger and be able to work in traffic with more strength.  He has very good potential but he has a ton to work on.  I hope he gets there, because there is considerable ability there.  The problem is that all the natural talent in the world won't matter if you don't play winning basketball.

There is no way I go into next season putting him down as a starter in ink.  Would love to see him earn it.  But we have to protect ourselves by getting a transfer who can start at SG.  

Woody said last night in the postgame that we needed defense on the wing and shooting.  Hopefully we add a starting caliber player for the spot.

Jmo 

JHS is starting at one of the wings next year. Thats fine if others dont factor FR into their equations.. I'm going to. 

• Like 4

Last night, in the first half when we were winning, we made some plays that really hurt us with momentum and we never recovered.  I think maybe it was RP who took a three that missed and Bates took an off balance shot from mid range that missed.  On the other end he got beat.  Lead and momentum were squandered in a flash.  Sure, we didn't have any energy.  But, that doesn't change that those kinds of plays can be catastrophic.  

He has to understand that if you play winning basketball, you can do well in the draft and play in the league.  Look at your coach, he was a far better player than you are and played in the league for a dozen years.  

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am going out on a limb with my most improved player in the off season. I am saying that Trey Galloway becomes a very good shooter. If he keeps healthy  he has the work ethic and knows that it is needed. He, Bates and Geronimo are going to be very good after a full off season with our staff. CMW will also bring in some "friends" this summer to help and it won't go unnoticed on the guys just cool that will be😀

You hearing things about visitors or just speculating?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jmo 

JHS is starting at one of the wings next year. Thats fine if others dont factor FR into their equations.. I'm going to. 

I love the clips I have seen of him.  I hope he delivers immediately.  I think he is substantially better prospect than Bates.  He can control the ball really well.  I posted that he would get in the lane with size that was reminiscent of Jason Kidd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

I think CMW can keep this team at a high level defensively. 

The big question mark is where do we get offense from when we will likely lose 1 or both of our top 2 scorers on a team that was already offensively challenged.   Plus we have no one on the outside that is a proven consistent scorer at all levels.

The offense will adapt.  Coach in press conferences has said, he played a 4 out 5 out in the NBA, pick and roll, high pace.  Here there strength was TJD and they had to go inside out, without movement around the permiter with hope to space it for him.  They are all aware of the limitations at wing.   This is not the offense coach wants, but had to go to based off personal.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You hearing anything about Wittman coming into the program in a formal capacity?

I think that is a little bit of a sore subject.  I don't see any problems between CMW , Fife and Wittman but I think the trust CMW has in Wittman might concern some of the assistants and that is where those rumors started. Everything I heard was that Woodson really wanted Wittman on staff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think that is a little bit of a sore subject.  I don't see any problems between CMW , Fife and Wittman but I think the trust CMW has in Wittman might concern some of the assistants and that is where those rumors started. Everything I heard was that Woodson really wanted Wittman on staff

I thought we were really well set up on offense down the stretch and if Wittman had a hand in it, that might explain a lot.