Offseason 2022

6 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

He should of got minutes at the 3 for Kopp… not like Kopp was driving around anybody. He just stood in corner and Kopp wasn’t guarding anyone either… all he did was take up space. Geronimo would of made us way more athletic. And got a ton of boards and put backs over a smaller 3 

Who JG? Hell no. Kopp is a massively better perimeter defender then him. You aren't sending three dudes to the off glass, regularly in D1 basketball. 

JG is not a 3. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Ya cuz Kopp and Stewert created a lot off the dribble.. I will forever be baffled at the minutes they played together… the +\- was incredibly bad.. could of avoided the play in game if we would of at least split them two up

It's just that simple.....We've needed shooters, desperately for years. Those guys had impressive "shooter's" resume's.   Sometimes it takes just one game when a player finally "lives up to his billing". Coach Woodson was counting on one or both to the entire year.....The only other guy I would have liked to have seen a little more in those 3 pt shooting situations was Leal. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our talent wasn't good enough to only play 7 or 8. The rotations are massively overblown as a regarding them as a problem. 

Race shot 42% from 3 the last 16 games. Needs more volume. 

Are you kidding me? You don’t sub out Race and TJD and put in Michael Durr when you don’t have to. He played one good game the entire season. One of those two should always be in the games. That is by far one of the dumbest sub patterns of college basketball last year. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who JG? Hell no. Kopp is a massively better perimeter defender then them. You aren't sending three dudes to the off glass, regularly in D1 basketball. 

JG is not a 3. 

And Kopp is?? What is Kopp a MAC player? He wasn’t good enough at Northwestern.. you absolutely can send 3 guys to the glass. JG wouldn’t be a great 3 because his handles are not great but he sure as heck would been better than Kopp is my point. 

you seem overly loyal to the coaches like you were Archie. I agree the injurys to RP and Gallo and Bates going through what he went through hurt.. Woodson has us going in the right direction but isn’t above criticism. Kopp and Stew still should of never seen the floor together as much as they did. The rotations were not great. 

why do people think Kopp was a good defender. Dude looked like he was in slow motion all the time. Can barely dunk at 6’7

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IU_Realist said:

Are you kidding me? You don’t sub out Race and TJD and put in Michael Durr when you don’t have to. One of those two should always be in the games That is by far one of the dumbest sub patterns of college basketball last year. 

lol 

Well.. tell TJD to stay out of foul trouble/tell the B1G to stop having so many massive individuals/tell the officials to call the game like the rest of the country. JG vs. Kofi and Edey would be great for who? 

The bold is just ridiculous. 

Again... TG and RP are healthy. We are 24-11 ish. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

lol 

Well.. tell TJD to stay out of foul trouble/tell the B1G to stop having so many massive individuals/tell the officials to call the game like the rest of the country. JG vs. Kofi and Edey would be great for who? 

The bold is just ridiculous. 

Again... TG and RP are healthy. We are 24-11 ish. 

It’s not.  He was only close to fouling out three times the entire season. Not that difficult to comprehend that most lineups with Durr was a waste of time. Complete lack of focus especially when you lack outside shooters.  Made IU incredibly easy to guard. 

Just now, 5 championships said:

And Kopp is?? What is Kopp a MAC player? He wasn’t good enough at Northwestern.. you absolutely can send 3 guys to the glass. JG wouldn’t be a great 3 because his handles are not great but he sure as heck would been better than Kopp is my point. 

you seem overly loyal to the coaches like you were Archie. I agree the injurys to RP and Gallo and Bates going through what he went through hurt.. Woodson has us going in the right direction but isn’t above criticism. Kopp and Stew still should of never seen the floor together as much as they did. The rotations were not great. 

Kopp is a better perimeter defender then JG. I don't want him to be, but JG is poor very poor guarding out there. Sending three dudes to the glass, you are going to give up dunks to the likes of MSU and UNC. 

And no, he wouldn't have been better then Kopp at the 3 offensively, he struggles to dribble and pass, and do them both at a quick enough pace. Hence his massive TO rate. 

Overly loyal to coaches? Nah. You guys just see these player 3-4hrs a week and think that is what determines PT, and it's just... not. 

They wouldn't have been on the court nearly as much if Bates, RP, and TG were there more often. 

• Like 2

It’s not.  He was only close to fouling out three times the entire season. Not that difficult to comprehend that most lineups with Durr was a waste of time. Complete lack of focus especially when you lack outside shooters.  Made IU incredibly easy to guard. 

I guess lol 

Maybe twice this year he was a massive problem? @ Iowa and one other. I can't remember the game. Most games, when you factor in TJD getting a break.. he was a NET zero. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp is a better perimeter defender then JG. I don't want him to be, but JG is poor very poor guarding out there. Sending three dudes to the glass, you are going to give up dunks to the likes of MSU and UNC. 

And no, he wouldn't have been better then Kopp at the 3 offensively, he struggles to dribble and pass, and do them both at a quick enough pace. Hence his massive TO rate. 

Overly loyal to coaches? Nah. You guys just see these player 3-4hrs a week and think that is what determines PT, and it's just... not. 

They wouldn't have been on the court nearly as much if Bates, RP, and TG were there more often. 

Geronimo would been much better playing with 1st unit instead of playing with durr. Obviously who you are playing with on the court makes a massive difference in what you are forced to do and what role you play. Put Kopp on the 2nd unit.. yikes 

Edited by 5 championships

Just now, btownqb said:

I guess lol 

Maybe twice this year he was a massive problem? @ Iowa and one other. I can't remember the game. Most games, when you factor in TJD getting a break.. he was a NET zero. 

Two major problems with Woodson this year:

Subbing - ride your horses.  They got you there so don’t substitute them out.  I think everyone can agree that Race and TJD are our best two bigs.  Neither have proven to be a four in a spread out O.  Play them for what they are good at. 

Offense - IU made an amazing run when they made the tourney. What was the cause of the improved O? Moving TJD around and used a screener for Johnson. Problem with St Mary game? We went back to dump down to TJD and watch. No flow. Not utilizing Johnson to his strengths. We don’t have the shooters for that. TJD was at his best during that stretch where he screened and attacked. Spread it out. We need to get away from the dump down and watch stuff especially when you lack shooters. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Then why didn't he beat out RT at the 4? 

I think people have every right to question what he was doing with RT at the four.  He isn’t a four right now or at least hasn’t shown it. He is a 5. Kopp is a similar type.  He isn’t a three.  He is a four. 

IU with Geronimo was best with him paired with RT and TJD.  IUs worst lineup was arguably its starting one.  Don’t start with that nonsense. 

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Two major problems with Woodson this year:

Subbing - ride your horses.  They got you there so don’t substitute them out.  I think everyone can agree that Race and TJD are our best two bigs.  Neither have proven to be a four in a spread out O.  Play them for what they are good at. 

Offense - IU made an amazing run when they made the tourney. What was the cause of the improved O? Moving TJD around and used a screener for Johnson. Problem with St Mary game? We went back to dump down to TJD and watch. No flow. Not utilizing Johnson to his strengths. We don’t have the shooters for that. TJD was at his best during that stretch where he screened and attacked. Spread it out. We need to get away from the dump down and watch stuff especially when you lack shooters. 

How do you prove this? 

TJD played 35mpg in the post season. 

I think people have every right to question what he was doing with RT at the four.  He isn’t a four right now or at least hasn’t shown it. He is a 5. Kopp is a similar type.  He isn’t a three.  He is a four. 

IU with Geronimo was best with him paired with RT and TJD.  IUs worst lineup was arguably its starting one.  Don’t start with that nonsense. 

And that lineup didn't play together nearly as much as you all want to believe it did when everyone was healthy. 

Just now, 5 championships said:

He would been better then Kopp this year 

So... in your mind Mike Woodson purposely played Kopp at the 3 over JG because of why? If it was THAT obvious. If he was better on the perimeter, he would have shown that. He didn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

How do you prove this? 

TJD played 35mpg in the post season. 

Shooting percentages especially their low ones on 2 pt jays. They can’t consistently shoot a three either…..I don’t buy the last 10 game nonsense.  The same logic can be applied to other players and then the next season they shoot the same.  It’s fans trying to get their hopes up.  They both can’t shoot a three. 

Shooting percentages especially their low ones on 2 pt jays. They can’t consistently shoot a three either…..I don’t buy the last 10 game nonsense.  The same logic can be applied to other players and then the next season they shoot the same.  It’s fans trying to get their hopes up.  They both can’t shoot a three. 

Race was the last 16 games, actually. But yeah, just ignore the facts of it, I guess. 

Dudes grow as basketball players... even at 22. Race is still improving immensely. I don't think he is a perfect 4, which is why JHS is so important and guys like TG and Bates are essential. 

We've discussed the difficulty of JG guarding the 3.  Let's flip it the other way.  Could a 6'5" guy adequately guard JG on the blocks.    Give me 5 minutes with TJD, RT, ad JG on the floor together and see what they could do. 

• Place Race outside the arc.  If Race's 3 point shooting continues to improve, teams will have to guard him on the perimeter.    
  • Bring TJD up to the FT Line or the extended key and you have the threat of a pick n roll that the defense has to be concerned about.  
  • Meanwhile, plant JG on the low block and throw him lobs all day against the shorter player.  

IU needs to get 80+ minutes a game out of that trio.  You don't want that lineup in the whole game.  But, do the above for 5 minutes and I think there is a good chance IU wins that 5 minute stretch more often than not.  Even if someone else ends up shooting it, either Race or JG is going to have a smaller man on him and that opens up the window for offensive rebound opportunities.  

• Like 4

On 4/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, Seeking6 said:

Yep....and I'd point to our friends from Champaign for that model. They've won plenty in the regular season the last 2 years....Ayo returning and losing...and Kofi returning twice and losing in tourney again has made life tough for Underwood on the recruiting trail.

Wish Coach would still post on here. He could explain better than I.

michael-jordan-lol.gif

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We've discussed the difficulty of JG guarding the 3.  Let's flip it the other way.  Could a 6'5" guy adequately guard JG on the blocks.    Give me 5 minutes with TJD, RT, ad JG on the floor together and see what they could do. 

• Place Race outside the arc.  If Race's 3 point shooting continues to improve, teams will have to guard him on the perimeter.    
  • Bring TJD up to the FT Line or the extended key and you have the threat of a pick n roll that the defense has to be concerned about.  
  • Meanwhile, plant JG on the low block and throw him lobs all day against the shorter player.  

IU needs to get 80+ minutes a game out of that trio.  You don't want that lineup in the whole game.  But, do the above for 5 minutes and I think there is a good chance IU wins that 5 minute stretch more often than not.  Even if someone else ends up shooting it, either Race or JG is going to have a smaller man on him and that opens up the window for offensive rebound opportunities.  

How do you practice JG at the 3? Why can't JG just be a good 4? Why is there just a discussion point about playing him a position he hasn't played? 

It's not as simple as just hitting a few buttons and then it automatically works in the game. 

Throw him lobs? What kind of lobs? We have to get in the paint more to be able to do that! I don't see how we would ever be able to penetrate with that group. The spacing is just not there, at all. It's barely, barely there with just 2 of TJD/RT/JG on the court. I can't imagine how bad it would be if all three were there. 

How would you initiate that sort of offense. Personally, I don't think JG would be efficient at all in your scenario and would be worse then RT and TJD on the block, effectiveness wise. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then why didn't he beat out RT at the 4? 

Because Race was the better player last year.  That doesn't negate the point that Geronimo was likely to be more effective as a Robin to TJD's Batman as opposed to Durr where the roles are probably reversed.