Offseason 2022

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Haha all those guys would run circles around Kopp. All Kopp can do is stand and shoot and he wasn’t great at that

He would look better if we get better guard play. And either way, I have no clue why you made this a Kopp vs. JG discussion. I don't want Kopp to have to start at the 3 either. It's just JG wasn't an option to play there last year. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

He would look better if we get better guard play. And either way, I have no clue why you made this a Kopp vs. JG discussion. I don't want Kopp to have to start at the 3 either. It's just JG wasn't an option to play there last year. 

X was fantastic down the stretch. Kopp missed a TON of wide open shots.. I think JG would of worked at the 3 even tho he isn’t a typical 3.. You keep Stew at the 2 and that keeps the floor spaced.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

X was fantastic down the stretch. Kopp missed a TON of wide open shots.. I think JG would of worked at the 3 even tho he isn’t a typical 3.. You keep Stew at the 2 and that keeps the floor spaced.. 

You want to keep Stewart, and get rid of Kopp. You lost me. 

• Like 2

Not true 

It doesn't happen man. It especially doesn't happen to average transfers that Woodson has barely even met. The only person I could have seen getting ANY sort of a promise would have been Bates. It's not Miller Friggin' Kopp from Houston TX getting 6 shot attempts a game. 

There is no conspiracy to play Miller Kopp. 

8 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Yea Kopp stood in the corner well

There’s no need to be like that.  We are just talking.  Maybe you missed some of the games but Kopp went out to the corner and hit some key shots late in the season.  It’s not that he stood in the corner.  It’s that he was more of a threat than Thompson there that the defense had to account for it more.

Without looking at his shot chart, Kopp hit, what, 37% from 3?  If I’m close, I’d suggest he probably hit well over 40% on corner 3’s.   The key metric would be the last stretch of the season where we finally started winning against better competition.  If you told me he hit 45% on corner 3’s down the stretch, I’d believe it. We became a different team.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It doesn't happen man. It especially doesn't happen to average transfers that Woodson has barely even met. The only person I could have seen getting ANY sort of a promise would have been Bates. It's not Miller Friggin' Kopp from Houston TX getting 6 shot attempts a game. 

There is no conspiracy to play Miller Kopp. 

Don’t call it a promise I guess but He definitely laid out a plan and vision for him otherwise I’m not sure why Kopp would want to transfer to a place he wouldn’t play. Usually transfers go somewhere where they WILL play

Edited by 5 championships

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There’s no need to be like that.  We are just talking.  Maybe you missed some of the games but Kopp went out to the corner and hit some key shots late in the season.  It’s not that he stood in the corner.  It’s that he was more of a threat than Thompson there that the defense had to account for it more.

Without looking at his shot chart, Kopp hit, what, 37% from 3?  If I’m close, I’d suggest he probably hit well over 40% on corner 3’s.   The key metric would be the last stretch of the season where we finally started winning against better competition.  If you told me he hit 45% on corner 3’s, I’d believe it.  

I believe the one big ten tournament game was first time he was in double figures since Syracuse 

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Don’t call it a promise I guess but He definitely laid out a plan and vision for him otherwise I’m not sure why Kopp would want to transfer to a place he wouldn’t play. Usually transfers go somewhere where they WILL play

For sure they do. But he didn't continuously start for anything other then... he was the best option. Be frustrated with that!! lol 

Just now, btownqb said:

For sure they do. But he didn't continuously start for anything other then... he was the best option. Be frustrated with that!! lol 

And when we got Kopp I thought it would work but ya he didn’t live up to expectations. Thought Woodson was to loyal at the point when he should of tried Geronimo at 3 or Leal since Gallo, Rob, and Bates situation happened 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Last 9 games of the year Stewart shot 21% from 3...Kopp shot 38%

Stew definitely went in a slump. Pretty bad Kopp still couldn’t beat his percentage on the year. Thought the change should of happened sometime a lot earlier than 9 games left. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

And when we got Kopp I thought it would work but ya he didn’t live up to expectations. Thought Woodson was to loyal at the point when he should of tried Geronimo at 3 or Leal since Gallo, Rob, and Bates situation happened 

But, JG wasn't viewed as an option to play there. He does not play that position. Leal struggled, man. And I love Anthony, but he looks like a 13th scholarship type guy. He shot 31% from 3 

Either way, that is fine to have that opinion. I don't agree with it. Your opinion though. 

I am just going to be pretty adamant that Kopp wasn't just allowed to start just because Woodson promise him X. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

But, JG wasn't viewed as an option to play there. He does not play that position. Leal struggled, man. And I love Anthony, but he looks like a 13th scholarship type guy. He shot 31% from 3 

Either way, that is fine to have that opinion. I don't agree with it. Your opinion though. 

I am just going to be pretty adamant that Kopp wasn't just allowed to start just because Woodson promise him X. 

Ok I think it was a mistake to not view him as an option at the 3 or maybe they tried in practice and it didn’t work. I just got really tired of watching Kopp struggle 90% of time 

Stew definitely went in a slump. Pretty bad Kopp still couldn’t beat his percentage on the year. Thought the change should of happened sometime a lot earlier than 9 games left. 

"pretty bad" 

Kopp is literally fine at 18mpg lol He isn't going to hurt, and gives you the ability to stretch the floor. He had a positive A/TO ratio, plays solid D, and holds his own on the glass. 

Very Hartman ish. We can all see he needs to shoot 1.5-2% better from 3 next year. He is quite a bit better of basketball player then Parker Stewart. 

• Like 1

Kopp played 450 more minutes than JG last year.

Kopp 32 Turnovers/JG 31`

JG 121 total rebounds and 42 offensive rebounds/ Kopp 89 and 12

Kopp was 32-37 on free throws --86.5%/ JG 25-44--56.8%

Kopp OWS--.4 , DWS--1.1  WS--1.5

JG     OWS--.5 , DWS--.9  WS  .9

To me, statistics show JG's value to be a 4--rebounder/put backs. In 400 less minutes he turned the ball over more often. He also lost value as a free throw shooter--look at how well Villanova shot free throws as an example. 

Surprised to see the DWS favoring Kopp. 

Point being, both guys bring value to the team, but not the same skill sets. Unless JG strongly improves his handle and shot, he needs to stay inside. Developing him as the next stretch 4 to replace Race either this year or next makes some sense. He has to improve his free throws to trust him with 20+ minutes. 

• Like 4

Ok I think it was a mistake to not view him as an option at the 3 or maybe they tried in practice and it didn’t work. I just got really tired of watching Kopp struggle 90% of time 

Which didn't happen. 

But, yeah, it's obvious it didn't work in practice, which is why it was NEVER tried in a game. 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Kopp played 450 more minutes than JG last year.

Kopp 32 Turnovers/JG 31`

JG 121 total rebounds and 42 offensive rebounds/ Kopp 89 and 12

Kopp was 32-37 on free throws --86.5%/ JG 25-44--56.8%

Kopp OWS--.4 , DWS--1.1  WS--1.5

JG     OWS--.5 , DWS--.9  WS  .9

To me, statistics show JG's value to be a 4--rebounder/put backs. In 400 less minutes he turned the ball over more often. He also lost value as a free throw shooter--look at how well Villanova shot free throws as an example. 

Surprised to see the DWS favoring Kopp. 

Point being, both guys bring value to the team, but not the same skill sets. Unless JG strongly improves his handle and shot, he needs to stay inside. Developing him as the next stretch 4 to replace Race either this year or next makes some sense. He has to improve his free throws to trust him with 20+ minutes. 

To be fair, JG in conference play was 69% ... so he did show some improvement. He made 12-15 to end the year, so that obviously helped.

• Like 1