Jump to content

Offseason 2022


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I want as many minutes at maximum productivity from those guys, and there's no way you're getting that without rests. 

So how did that 87 team ever win a game since in close games we usually played the starters 35+ minutes. The game back then was played at a faster pace so today these great athletes shouldn't have a problem playing big minutes.  You saw in the tournament this year that most teams played a 7-8 man rotation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IU Scott said:

So how did that 87 team ever win a game since in close games we usually played the starters 35+ minutes. The game back then was played at a faster pace so today these great athletes shouldn't have a problem playing big minutes.  You saw in the tournament this year that most teams played a 7-8 man rotation

I think an 8 man rotation is ideal, I'm just not big on only 7 minutes from the bench. I'm sure you remember the Northwestern game this year and how gassed guys were.

Just because something worked doesn't mean it was the best way to do it, it just means it worked. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Every team in the country does just that. 

I was just commenting on your post about the game mentioned and there was a huge drop off from the starters compared to the bench.  Again you only need to play a 7-8 man rotation since you can rotate the players enough to get rest but still can keep them in rythym

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think an 8 man rotation is ideal, I'm just not big on only 7 minutes from the bench. I'm sure you remember the Northwestern game this year and how gassed guys were.

Just because something worked doesn't mean it was the best way to do it, it just means it worked. 

The thing that game we are talking about none of the starters looked gassed like we did this year at NW. Also I'm that game IU was down 8 with 6 minutes to go and still had enough to come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was just commenting on your post about the game mentioned and there was a huge drop off from the starters compared to the bench.  Again you only need to play a 7-8 man rotation since you can rotate the players enough to get rest but still can keep them in rythym

None of which is true. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing that game we are talking about none of the starters looked gassed like we did this year at NW. Also I'm that game IU was down 8 with 6 minutes to go and still had enough to come back.

ours looked gassed because they shouldn't be playing that many mins!!!! Leal, Galloway, Thompson, heck even Kopp have never been accustomed to playing that way. It's archaic. 

Why would anyone want players consistently playing 35+mins? That is just such a recipe for injury, burn out, etc. Also good luck recruiting that way! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing that game we are talking about none of the starters looked gassed like we did this year at NW. Also I'm that game IU was down 8 with 6 minutes to go and still had enough to come back.

Both teams scored significantly less in the second half and both teams played their starters a ton. It's pretty clear that fatigue played a factor in that game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

None of which is true. 

What is not true and how would you know about the abilities of the 87 team. Hillman and Eyle we're our 6th and 7th players and only bench guys to see major minutes.  If you are telling me they were near as good as the starters, I don't know what to say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

ours looked gassed because they shouldn't be playing that many mins!!!! Leal, Galloway, Thompson, heck even Kopp have never been accustomed to playing that way. It's archaic. 

Why would anyone want players consistently playing 35+mins? That is just such a recipe for injury, burn out, etc. Also good luck recruiting that way! 

We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What is not true and how would you know about the abilities of the 87 team. Hillman and Eyle we're our 6th and 7th players and only bench guys to see major minutes.  If you are telling me they were near as good as the starters, I don't know what to say

The averages for minutes that season where pretty in line with what we're saying, and the game that they had obvious fatigue that you're talking about is an outlier. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What is not true and how would you know about the abilities of the 87 team. Hillman and Eyle we're our 6th and 7th players and only bench guys to see major minutes.  If you are telling me they were near as good as the starters, I don't know what to say

Idc about 1987 lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

ours looked gassed because they shouldn't be playing that many mins!!!! Leal, Galloway, Thompson, heck even Kopp have never been accustomed to playing that way. It's archaic. 

Why would anyone want players consistently playing 35+mins? That is just such a recipe for injury, burn out, etc. Also good luck recruiting that way! 

To be fair, in the championshipgame this year, UNC had 4 players play over 35 minutes.  Kansas had 2, and another play 34.  Both teams had someone go 40.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Both teams scored significantly less in the second half and both teams played their starters a ton. It's pretty clear that fatigue played a factor in that game. 

The thing is that they had that same rotation in every game in the tournament except the first game against Fairfield. Well against UNLV we scored 53 I the first half compared to 44 in the second.  Yes that is lower but still more points than most teams score in a half today.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 5fouls said:

To be fair, in the championshipgame this year, UNC had 4 players play over 35 minutes.  Kansas had 2, and another play 34.  Both teams had someone go 40.

And to be fair, no team does that every game all season for 40 games. You know this.

But sure, with a championship on the line and no tomorrow to worry about, you can do things like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 5fouls said:

To be fair, in the championshipgame this year, UNC had 4 players play over 35 minutes.  Kansas had 2, and another play 34.  Both teams had someone go 40.

Consistently was the key there. And I will bet whatever you want that if you asked both of those coaches they will tell you they would have preferred more depth then they had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that they had that same rotation in every game in the tournament except the first game against Fairfield. Well against UNLV we scored 53 I the first half compared to 44 in the second.  Yes that is lower but still more points than most teams score in a half today.

 

THIS ISN'T RELEVANT!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I used to want starters playing 35 mins as well, then I realized the reality of modern basketball. 

So what is different in the game today compared to the past.  The game is still 40 minutes long and you still have 5 TV timeouts a half.  The court is still 94 feet long and the same width.  The game today is played at a slower pace and less player movement so today with how athletic they are they should he more equiped to play more minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is nothing to disagree about. No one in CBB plays their starters 35+mins a night. Period. 

Didn't say they need to play 35+ minutes today but they all should be play 30 minutes a game.  It is not like the top teams played a long bench and kept the rotation to 7-8 players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Consistently was the key there. And I will bet whatever you want that if you asked both of those coaches they will tell you they would have preferred more depth then they had. 

Not so sure they would. Heard Hubert Davis say that once they agreed upon the right 7 or 8 players things really turned around. Trying to play too many guys hurt the chemistry in his opinion. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And to be fair, no team does that every game all season for 40 games. You know this.

But sure, with a championship on the line and no tomorrow to worry about, you can do things like that. 

 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Consistently was the key there. And I will bet whatever you want that if you asked both of those coaches they will tell you they would have preferred more depth then they had. 

Scott's been talking about the '87 Championship team, so there is a relevant comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...