Jump to content

Offseason 2022


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I’m not sure who else need this but after reading this back and forth pissing match, I think I need to use it first. 

 

15B1BA3A-0837-4633-9F5B-84A8A4ABB0A7.jpeg

I'm currently at a Urology appointment for kidney stone follow-up 

Pissing match seems appropriate.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Chiming in from work here.. I usually haven’t worried too much about the rotation and such, and usually leave it to the coaches.

I just don’t want the bizarre changes that FCTC made, that seemed to kill momentum,  as well as FCAM seemed to have some strange habits as well.

This past season, we all noticed how CMW made some wholesale substitutions during the first half, as well as kept the starting 5 in at the beginning of the second, when during some games, they were ineffective. With as many close games as we lost, one could argue that some of those miscalculations cost us a game or two. So now, it is something I pay more attention to. 
 

back to Microsoft Teams meetings!!!!

Whoa........ I think you're the only one that "works"......... 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But see, that actually isn't true. 

And of course he kept the starting 5 in to start the 2nd half. Everyone in the country does that, basically, every single game. 

The last bolded sentence is just something I cannot understand why? 

Have you noticed that you are taking exception to 3 straight HCs subbing patterns... maybe they aren't the ones in the wrong. 

2 of those coaches got fired for underperforming and the jury is still out on the third.  We were one half away from people feeling a whole lot different about this season then ended up happening for the third's first year.

I wouldn't use Miller or Crean as support for good coaching decisions.

I don't mind playing around 10 guys and I know you tell me I am wrong, but I felt far too often we had lineups on the floor this year, even for a short amount of time, that I absolutely hated.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

we didn't play 10 guys. Durr played 5 mins in the games that mattered, literally just to give TJD a break. At one time, late in the year, did we have all the starters out for 3-4 mins at a time. 

The rest is just ridiculous guidelines to ever set for a rotation and not something that coaches ever do. 

The reality is.... Race is good for 28mpg and TJD gets in foul trouble at the beginning of games and that was basically the only time they were both on the bench at the same time. 

No need for Durr to play at all. Rotate TJD, Race and JG all the minutes at the,4-5 position

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some teams can do it and be successful.  IU in 21-22 was not one of them.  I need to look it up, but pretty sure 'Nova had a very tight rotation, even before the Elite 8 injury, and made the Final Four.

I saw 35 mpg referenced, so I decided to look up how many good teams actually play anyone that many minutes. Of the high major teams, only 10 players total played at least 87.5% of their team's minutes (equivalent to 35 per game). Of those 10 players, only Eli Brooks played for a tournament team.

With last year's team TJD played 80% of the teams minutes. That's about the most I'd expect for any player once you factor in fatigue, foul trouble, etc. For our other two best players, Race played 71% of the available minutes while Xavier played 67%. Race played less down the stretch due Geronimo playing better than him in a few games, while Xavier played less earlier in the year due to foul trouble and inconsistent play. There's nothing wrong with the rotations, we just didn't have anyone outside of TJD that consistently earned playing 30+ mpg throughout the whole year. In the stretches where Xavier or Race were playing well, they were also getting around 30 mpg.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

2 of those coaches got fired for underperforming and the jury is still out on the third.  We were one half away from people feeling a whole lot different about this season then ended up happening for the third's first year.

I wouldn't use Miller or Crean as support for good coaching decisions.

yeah... they got fired from one of the top 10 basketball coaching jobs on the planet. They didn't succeed at the HIGHEST of levels, sure. Tom Crean won two BTTs, outright. 

They are GREAT basketball minds, even though it didn't work at Indiana. None of us on this board are as high in their profession, as CAM and CTC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I saw 35 mpg referenced, so I decided to look up how many good teams actually play anyone that many minutes. Of the high major teams, only 10 players total played at least 87.5% of their team's minutes (equivalent to 35 per game). Of those 10 players, only Eli Brooks played for a tournament team.

With last year's team TJD played 80% of the teams minutes. That's about the most I'd expect for any player once you factor in fatigue, foul trouble, etc. For our other two best players, Race played 71% of the available minutes while Xavier played 67%. Race played less down the stretch due Geronimo playing better than him in a few games, while Xavier played less earlier in the year due to foul trouble and inconsistent play. There's nothing wrong with the rotations, we just didn't have anyone outside of TJD that consistently earned playing 30+ mpg throughout the whole year. In the stretches where Xavier or Race were playing well, they were also getting around 30 mpg.

hey facts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I saw 35 mpg referenced, so I decided to look up how many good teams actually play anyone that many minutes. Of the high major teams, only 10 players total played at least 87.5% of their team's minutes (equivalent to 35 per game). Of those 10 players, only Eli Brooks played for a tournament team.

With last year's team TJD played 80% of the teams minutes. That's about the most I'd expect for any player once you factor in fatigue, foul trouble, etc. For our other two best players, Race played 71% of the available minutes while Xavier played 67%. Race played less down the stretch due Geronimo playing better than him in a few games, while Xavier played less earlier in the year due to foul trouble and inconsistent play. There's nothing wrong with the rotations, we just didn't have anyone outside of TJD that consistently earned playing 30+ mpg throughout the whole year. In the stretches where Xavier or Race were playing well, they were also getting around 30 mpg.

I didn't say we need to play 35+ minutes from the starters but if needed I don't see a problem with that. My main complaint about this year's team was trying to play 10 players

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

yeah... they got fired from one of the top 10 basketball coaching jobs on the planet. They didn't succeed at the HIGHEST of levels, sure. Tom Crean won two BTTs, outright. 

They are GREAT basketball minds, even though it didn't work at Indiana. None of us on this board are as high in their profession, as CAM and CTC. 

Great basketball minds is not a statement I would make about either of those guys. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't say we need to play 35+ minutes from the starters but if needed I don't see a problem with that. My main complaint about this year's team was trying to play 10 players

 

We really didn't try to play 10 players meaningful minutes, especially at the end of the season. When you look at the box scores after rob came back (excluding St Marys since there was a lot of garbage time), we typically would play 9 players with 1-2 players getting 5-10 minutes and 1 player getting less than 5 minutes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yeah... they got fired from one of the top 10 basketball coaching jobs on the planet. They didn't succeed at the HIGHEST of levels, sure. Tom Crean won two BTTs, outright. 

They are GREAT basketball minds, even though it didn't work at Indiana. None of us on this board are as high in their profession, as CAM and CTC. 

 

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Great basketball minds is not a statement I would make about either of those guys. 

You know, I agree with @btownqb about as often as @IU Scott's subjects and verbs, but he's right here...

Any coach in a P6 conference is at the top of his profession and knows more about the games than any of us...

Crean, Miller, and Coach Woodson didn't come to Bloomington on a turnip truck...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last thing on this I never said the bench should only play 7 minutes like they did in that LSU game.  I just don't see anything wrong with it if it is meeded bit never said it should be like this every game.

Also how do these kids play 5 AAU games in a week end but can't play over 30 minutes in a game yeice a week.  I would bet some of you guys would call it cruel and unusual punishment for kids to play two games in a day like the regionals, semi State and State finals were in the one class tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last thing on this I never said the bench should only play 7 minutes like they did in that LSU game.  I just don't see anything wrong with it if it is meeded bit never said it should be like this every game.

Also how do these kids play 5 AAU games in a week end but can't play over 30 minutes in a game yeice a week.  I would bet some of you guys would call it cruel and unusual punishment for kids to play two games in a day like the regionals, semi State and State finals were in the one class tournament.

They rotate between 8-10 guys? You play two games a day in regionals in 2022, as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I saw 35 mpg referenced, so I decided to look up how many good teams actually play anyone that many minutes. Of the high major teams, only 10 players total played at least 87.5% of their team's minutes (equivalent to 35 per game). Of those 10 players, only Eli Brooks played for a tournament team.

With last year's team TJD played 80% of the teams minutes. That's about the most I'd expect for any player once you factor in fatigue, foul trouble, etc. For our other two best players, Race played 71% of the available minutes while Xavier played 67%. Race played less down the stretch due Geronimo playing better than him in a few games, while Xavier played less earlier in the year due to foul trouble and inconsistent play. There's nothing wrong with the rotations, we just didn't have anyone outside of TJD that consistently earned playing 30+ mpg throughout the whole year. In the stretches where Xavier or Race were playing well, they were also getting around 30 mpg.

Would be interested in the breakdown of competitive conference games vs. cupcakes in the preseason.  It stands to reason the top players are not going to play big minutes in 30 point blowouts.  That will pull their average down

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

 

You know, I agree with @btownqb about as often as @IU Scott's subjects and verbs, but he's right here...

Any coach in a P6 conference is at the top of his profession and knows more about the games than any of us...

Crean, Miller, and Coach Woodson didn't come to Bloomington on a turnip truck...

 

I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh at the shot at @IU Scott or like this because you're making an obviously correct point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Would be interested in the breakdown of competitive conference games vs. cupcakes in the preseason.  It stands to reason the top players are not going to play big minutes in 30 point blowouts.  That will pull their average down

Just one example, but Johnny Davis went from 34.2 to 34.9 MPG.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Would be interested in the breakdown of competitive conference games vs. cupcakes in the preseason.  It stands to reason the top players are not going to play big minutes in 30 point blowouts.  That will pull their average down

How long is that gonna take you to look up?  We need to come up with a consensus before the server goes down...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Would be interested in the breakdown of competitive conference games vs. cupcakes in the preseason.  It stands to reason the top players are not going to play big minutes in 30 point blowouts.  That will pull their average down

IU top 3 vs top 100 opponents:

TJD: 83% of minutes

Race: 74% of minutes

X: 70% of minutes

All high majors that are above 87.5% of minutes vs top 100 goes from 10 to 17 players with Wendell Moore (Duke), Ryan Hawkins (Creighton), and Collin Gillespie (Nova) being on tourney teams. There were 149 players vs top 100 that had at least 75% of minutes (30 mpg) vs 129 players when looking at games against all teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...