Offseason 2022

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How would this roster looks to you guys.

1- XJ/ Galloway

2- JHS/Dennis/Leal

3- Bates/Kopp/Gunn

4- Race/ Banks.

5- TJD/ Reneau/Duncomb

You must be assuming JG leaves. If he stays, he’s in the 3/4 rotation. TG isn’t a PG. JHS has to be backup to XJ. Bates and Gunn are 2 guards, not 3s. This roster, which may be what we have, doesn’t have enough scoring from the 2 and 3 spots

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

1- XJ/ Galloway

2- JHS/Dennis/Leal

3- Bates/Kopp/Gunn

4- Race/ Banks.

5- TJD/ Reneau/Duncomb

I think more like

1- XJ

2- Galloway

3- Kopp

4- Race

5- TJD

Then we will see JHS, Gunn, Bates and other off the bench based on how they learn to plat Defense.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

3 hours ago, Coach McDingle said:

Not trying to be rude and I really do see what you are saying but to me those are the stats of a pretty good role player (if he had averaged that over the entire year, not his 7 best game stretch of the season).

I just personally don't want one of the true team leaders to be even that (the highlight stretch of his year was that 7 games: 8ppg, 3 rbg, 1 assist, <0.5 steals/blocks in 30 minutes per game). He disappeared in the games at the end of the year that matter the most and even missed a couple of absolutely clutch moment free throws.  I love the hussle but I don't think there are a ton of plays he's making that are the type that aren't getting recorded on the stat sheet. I just can't think of many good teams from the past few years in ncaa/ big ten who has a year long starter that identifies as a team leader that has that stat line (especially without being an above average defender. While he may not be a bad on ball defender,  it's not like he's a better defender than an average big ten wing player). 

But that's all he is...a role player. As long as Trayce is around that's all most are going to be. We could use a good 3 level scorer, but it's not going to be Miller.

And the greatest leader to ever wear an IU uniform didn't have particularly gaudy numbers...

And you're not being rude in the least...I appreciate the conversation...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

1- XJ/ Galloway

2- JHS/Dennis/Leal

3- Bates/Kopp/Gunn

4- Race/ Banks.

5- TJD/ Reneau/Duncomb

The roster looks great but I don’t really understand how you’re slotting guys in.

Reneau probably plays just about every backup minute available behind TJD and Race.

JHS slides to point and Galloway is probably first guy off the bench for anyone 1-3. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

The roster looks great but I don’t really understand how you’re slotting guys in.

Reneau probably plays just about every backup minute available behind TJD and Race.

JHS slides to point and Galloway is probably first guy off the bench for anyone 1-3. 

I was just placing like them to show the roster.  I know Galloway is not a PG and the JHS would play PG when XJ is our of the game.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think more like

1- XJ

2- Galloway

3- Kopp

4- Race

5- TJD

Then we will see JHS, Gunn, Bates and other off the bench based on how they learn to plat Defense.

i sure hope not.  i get that this is a possibility, but i can't imagine JHS not starting.  if our only starting lineup change is Galloway for Stewart, i'll be disappointed in JHS and Bates and still worried about our talent level.  

• Like 3

Not sure why everyone is locking in JHS to start right away. You have to be really good to start as a Freshman. Our last one was Romeo I think and that team was awful. I think JHS will be eventually be really good but I think our lineup will look like this if TJD comes back. 

X, Bates or Galloway, Kopp, Race, TJD. 

Kopp and Race are coming back because they will be starting. TJD and X are obviously the other 2 starters. The only spot up in the air is the 2 IMO. 

This is a good problem to have btw. JHS, Bates or Galloway, JG, Banks, Leal, etc off the bench is nice. 

NOW, if DD commits, he will start at the 2 IMO. X, DD, Kopp, Race, TJD. 

If Malik commits that’d be fantastic as well, but he wouldn’t be a day 1 starter. 

All good problems to have. Happy Easter!

Edited by RoadToZion
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Not sure why everyone is locking in JHS to start right away. You have to be really good to start as a Freshman. Our last one was Romeo I think and that team was awful. I think JHS will be eventually be really good but I think our lineup will look like this if TJD comes back. 

Kopp and Race are coming back because they will be starting. TJD and X are obviously the other 2 starters. The only spot up in the air is the 2 IMO. 

This is a good problem to have btw. JHS, Bates or Galloway, JG, Banks, Leal, etc off the bench is nice. 

If Malik commits that’d be fantastic as well, but he wouldn’t be a day 1 starter. 

i hear ya, but stud freshmen do start fairly often in MBB.  i look at his skill set and a college ready body and then think about the fact that the upper classmen he is competing with are simply not all that talented.  i just think that what we were missing was guys who could make plays on the wing and score in multiple ways.  JHS and Bates can do that.  surely no one will argue that XJ, Thompson, and TJD will start.  i admit, it's hard to believe Kopp won't start.  i just hope he doesn't.  still if those 4 start, i'd be surprised if JHS isn't the other.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Starting to lean this way, as well. We'll see. I've never enjoyed the lineup discussions, too many factors we can't account for. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i hear ya, but stud freshmen do start fairly often in MBB.  i look at his skill set and a college ready body and then think about the fact that the upper classmen he is competing with are simply not all that talented.  i just think that what we were missing was guys who could make plays on the wing and score in multiple ways.  JHS and Bates can do that.  surely no one will argue that XJ, Thompson, and TJD will start.  i admit, it's hard to believe Kopp won't start.  i just hope he doesn't.  still if those 4 start, i'd be surprised if JHS isn't the other.

To add to this about freshman starting, every single guy historically ranked above JHS at IU has started, and a decent chunk of guys below him, too. 

Essentially, if he doesn't start he would be the highest ranked IU recruit ever to not start as a freshman. I'm with you, I think it's a pretty fair bet that he is going to start Day 1.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

JHS, X, Bates, JG, TJD. Would be my starting 5

see i agree with this in a way.  i would bet any amount of money Thompson will be in there, but my point is that if JHS, Bates, and JG are all good enough to start...we would be REALLY good!  i certainly wouldn't bet on it.  i personally really don't want Kopp to start, but i get that it is fairly likely.  

54 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

My thought process is more I hope JHS is good enough to start as a freshman. And if he isn’t, we won’t be as good as I expect as a team. Don’t need him to be Eric Gordon, but come in and average 8 pts with a good floor game and defense would be more than we got from any of our other guards sans X last year. 

Maybe someone has a big jump this off-season which would be great, and have a lot of competition. I guess I just am not as high on some of the returning players ability to make that jump.  

• Like 1

personally i really like lineup discussions because know one really knows at this point.  i enjoy the debates that people can't really claim they are 100% right and everyone else is crazy for not agreeing with them.  as a Cubs fan, the offseason is always when i get more hope that my team could be really good next year.  i am super curious how XJ will work out, but assume he'll be our PG with Thompson and TJD back we bring our top 3 back and add a 5 star kid.  i really have high hopes for Bates and love JG, TG, and Kopp as role players.  Reneau would be the icing on the cake!

• Like 3

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

see i agree with this in a way.  i would bet any amount of money Thompson will be in there, but my point is that if JHS, Bates, and JG are all good enough to start...we would be REALLY good!  i certainly wouldn't bet on it.  i personally really don't want Kopp to start, but i get that it is fairly likely.  

I agree. This is just the lineup I would like to see. Eventually we have to start playing the talent we have. Unless Kopp can come in and hit 3's at 40%+ when they actually matters, I don't want to see him. 

JHS has the size, speed and athletic ability to be elite in the big 10 from day one.

X shot had improved by end of season. Someone was obviously working with him on his form. If he puts in the time this summer, him and JHS should be the best back court in the big by a wide margin. 

Bates needs to be our 3.

JG can easily play the perimeter in a 4 out system,  which should satisfy his wants 

• Like 1

In my gut, I thought TJD is going to come back. Now, my gut says he’s not. 

I don’t know, after last year I just don’t think he has anything to gain by coming back. And I can’t imagine Reneau would be on campus right now if another 6’8” lefty that would be ahead of him in the rotations is a shoe-in to get 30+ minutes a night. It just seems like the writing is on the wall.

…and I think we’ll be okay if that happens. Especially if we get Reneau and DD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

If DD does commit, could he slide into the 3? I would be a little surprised if Kopp doesn’t start tbh, whether he deserves that spot or not. But at 6’5 I think DD would be capable of playing the 3. I admittedly haven’t seen him play so I’m not sure how he was used at WSU.

3 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

If DD does commit, could he slide into the 3? I would be a little surprised if Kopp doesn’t start tbh, whether he deserves that spot or not. But at 6’5 I think DD would be capable of playing the 3. I admittedly haven’t seen him play so I’m not sure how he was used at WSU.

Yes, he can play the three. Wings are wings.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To add to this about freshman starting, every single guy historically ranked above JHS at IU has started, and a decent chunk of guys below him, too. 

Essentially, if he doesn't start he would be the highest ranked IU recruit ever to not start as a freshman. I'm with you, I think it's a pretty fair bet that he is going to start Day 1.

Feel you.  

The way I'm picturing it-- if JHS isn't starting-- he's a legit 6th man. 

If we were-- XJ, DD, MK, RT, TJD-- he could literally sub in for any of those 5, and we are fine. Subs in for TJD or RT the other moves to the 5 and MK goes to the 4, as an example. 

I have no clue on what the lineup will be. I don't care who starts. That is just a scenario I envision working well. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Feel you.  

The way I'm picturing it-- if JHS isn't starting-- he's a legit 6th man. 

If we were-- XJ, DD, MK, RT, TJD-- he could literally sub in for any of those 5, and we are fine. Subs in for TJD or RT the other moves to the 5 and MK goes to the 4, as an example. 

I have no clue on what the lineup will be. I don't care who starts. That is just a scenario I envision working well. 

I totally get that, but I also think we are once again limiting ourselves on playmaking and shooting at the 2 and 3 with that lineup. This team needs more dynamic guys on offense and our best shot at that is JHS and Bates being able to start.

Our best lineup last year, by far IMO, was X, RP, Trey, Race, and TJD and that was because you had so many playmakers. I think JHS and Bates have the potential to be at least as good as RP and Trey as playmakers combined, but better scorers. We shall see. 

• Like 3