Jump to content

Offseason 2022


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

same.  it does make things tough if your best guy isn't a hard worker though.  

To me it looked liked he played a lot harder this year and to me he changed some under Woodson

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I really like TJD but this doesn't surprise me much if true. He had the same weaknesses in his hand he had as a freshman. On message boards there is often talk of who are the gym rats and TJD has never been rumored to be one. That said, this is also the first time I've seen a rumor that says that he doesn't/didn't work hard.

also, to be clear, my source was not saying TJD was a bad kid or trouble maker.  just that he didn't set a great example.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

also, to be clear, my source was not saying TJD was a bad kid or trouble maker.  just that he didn't set a great example.  

I understand and didn't take it that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be very surprised if TJD isn’t a hard worker. Everything on the court and the way he plays is hard.  Not saying he is but just surprised.  Also seems to be a great team mate.   Considering he is a star player he seems to work at it. Just limited in skill not work ethic. Just my outside view

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Would be very surprised if TJD isn’t a hard worker. Everything on the court and the way he plays is hard.  Not saying he is but just surprised.  Also seems to be a great team mate.   Considering he is a star player he seems to work at it. Just limited in skill not work ethic. Just my outside view

That's true now, but earlier in his career there were lots of times he gave selective effort. I don't struggle to believe his first couple years he didn't give consistent effort off of the court.

That said, I think he gives it now and he's really vaulted his legacy. If he comes back and we were to have one of our better seasons since the 90s I think he could really cement his legacy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I understand and didn't take it that way.

also, i'm not saying at all that i'm not excited about TJD coming back!  i am very excited and think he will help us to easily our best season in a long time.  just passing on what i thought was interesting info from a very informed source.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

also, i'm not saying at all that i'm not excited about TJD coming back!  i am very excited and think he will help us to easily our best season in a long time.  just passing on what i thought was interesting info from a very informed source.  

Moving on.... well what else you got?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That's true now, but earlier in his career there were lots of times he gave selective effort. I don't struggle to believe his first couple years he didn't give consistent effort off of the court.

That said, I think he gives it now and he's really vaulted his legacy. If he comes back and we were to have one of our better seasons since the 90s I think he could really cement his legacy. 

This aligns with what I was noticing. Under CAM, there were several games that had the appearance of Trace throwing his hands up (proverbially) in frustration. Those moments were obvious as his effort appeared to diminish from that specific point in those games. It only fare to think that could also translate to off the court work. I feel it was all frustration based. Lets see if there was anyone else frustrated under the CAM tenure.... I am sure there were some.... OH, IT WAS EVERYONE!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Ok I thought it was May 1st. Maybe there was a different deadline that was today. Thought May 1st had some significance. O well. Haha.

Players had to enter the portal by May 1st if they wanted to be eligible in play next year without a waiver.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There had been some mentions by some online that there were some nervous hours for the IU basketball staff as the transfer deadline approached. According to Rabby, if I am reading the cryptic post accurately, there were no last minute additions to the portal from IU. Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

There had been some mentions by some online that there were some nervous hours for the IU basketball staff as the transfer deadline approached. According to Rabby, if I am reading the cryptic post accurately, there were no last minute additions to the portal from IU. Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions. 

Race and JG both publicly announced their intentions.  This seems to imply there were others considering.  Interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Race and JG both publicly announced their intentions.  This seems to imply there were others considering.  Interesting.

I can think of a few that I wouldn't be surprised had a decision to make. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, NCHoosier32 said:

heard something very surprising from a very good source Friday.  said TJD does not set a good example of work ethic.  want to say that i am a big TJD fan.  this person said that someone very close to the program said his example in practice under CAM hurt the team.  don't know if that is still true under Woodson.  

Erroneous.

My thoughts are you have an unreliable “source” if that’s the best intel they can provide.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Erroneous.

My thoughts are you have an unreliable “source” if that’s the best intel they can provide.

 

What he was saying was accurate. TJD has had a history of being complacent and lazy at times. This is part of what caused Mike Woodson to go nuclear on him at halftime of the B1G tournement game against Michigan. Anyone that wonders why is game didn't progress much is getting their answer. Woodson didn't let him get away with as much and that's why their was improvement. A lot of what went on was because CAM allowed it to go on. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Erroneous.

My thoughts are you have an unreliable “source” if that’s the best intel they can provide.

 

i mean okay.  why would i make this up?  it's not even huge news.  just thought i'd share a tidbit from an unexpected encounter with a close source.  no biggie.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about Trayce being lazy...

I do think that there are times over the years that he didn't play up to potential. I also thought there were certain players who intimidated him...Myles Johnson, Kofi Cockburn, and Hunter Dickinson to name 3.

But the best TJD I've seen at IU was the one that played in the 2nd half of the win over Illinois in the BTT. That version was first team All American stuff. He outplayed Cockburn in the 2nd half. It was as if he finally figured out that he was just as good as Kofi, if not better.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, NCHoosier32 said:

heard something very surprising from a very good source Friday.  said TJD does not set a good example of work ethic.  want to say that i am a big TJD fan.  this person said that someone very close to the program said his example in practice under CAM hurt the team.  don't know if that is still true under Woodson.  

 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Erroneous.

My thoughts are you have an unreliable “source” if that’s the best intel they can provide.

 

 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

What he was saying was accurate. TJD has had a history of being complacent and lazy at times. This is part of what caused Mike Woodson to go nuclear on him at halftime of the B1G tournement game against Michigan. Anyone that wonders why is game didn't progress much is getting their answer. Woodson didn't let him get away with as much and that's why their was improvement. A lot of what went on was because CAM allowed it to go on. 

There’s a degree of difference between “not being the best example of work ethic” and “lazy”. Some guys are born gym rats. Some guys might give it 100% during practice/workouts, and then enjoy their off time. Nothing wrong with either. 
 

Trayce might be one of those 20-something year old guys who needs an occasional “nudge” (aka a kick in the ass) back on course. That makes him on par with probably 98% of guys his age. God knows I was. 
 

Here’s how I look at it: TJD’s attitude/demeanor overall is solid. Would you rather have TJD or Vonleh in terms of attitude? Trayce may not be perfect, but he’s not divisive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...