2022 B1G Tournament

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Maybe a dumb question but assuming you guys are rooting for Iowa over us tonight?

Yes for me at least i want Iowa to win. We beat PU at home PU beat us at Mackey. We both won 2 games in BTT, Iowa beat both of us. IU with a bank in prayer and PU by 10. IU makes it to S16 and PU opening round loss. That's what I am rooting for.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

What were the players on IUs bench doing during the BTT?  We’re they acting like they were smoking or sipping tea?? 

The announcers said something about a “tea break,” after laughing, but “tea” has in the past been a slang for weed in the jazz community. 

It looked to me like they were pantomiming tossing a roach and stomping it out, which is just freaking stupid to do on the bench during a nationally televised game. I say this as an adult who partakes in weed on a regular basis. It’s a nice thing for me as an adult to imbibe in the late evenings when I have no other demands on my time. 

Bench warmers on a national basketball team should be a little more discreet. I’m sure they think they are cool, but it’s really not. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

The announcers said something about a “tea break,” after laughing, but “tea” has in the past been a slang for weed in the jazz community. 

It looked to me like they were pantomiming tossing a roach and stomping it out, which is just freaking stupid to do on the bench during a nationally televised game. I say this as an adult who partakes in weed on a regular basis. It’s a nice thing for me as an adult to imbibe in the late evenings when I have no other demands on my time. 

Bench warmers on a national basketball team should be a little more discreet. I’m sure they think they are cool, but it’s really not. 

I didn’t even see it I had a buddy of mine text and say “Surely those guys aren’t acting like they are smoking weed?”  I had no idea what he was talking about until I rewatched the game.  

• Like 1

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I didn’t even see it I had a buddy of mine text and say “Surely those guys aren’t acting like they are smoking weed?”  I had no idea what he was talking about until I rewatched the game.  

It’s what it looked like to me. Woodson needs to get on that like yesterday. 

I’m not saying that athletes can’t smoke weed, that would be out of touch and clueless. But you have to be cool about it. That was the opposite of cool for privileged white dudes to be doing that on the sidelines during a nationally televised game. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s what it looked like to me. Woodson needs to get on that like yesterday. 

I’m not saying that athletes can’t smoke weed, that would be out of touch and clueless. But you have to be cool about it. That was the opposite of cool for privileged white dudes to be doing that on the sidelines during a nationally televised game. 

Agreed.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That would be the best outcome. But what were they tossing on the floor and stomping out?

Can’t answer that.  Maybe they are making fun of people for all of the weed rumors?  Maybe they smashed their tea cup into the ground?  Why was Leal sitting on the floor making it look like a party?  Do we really think they are pretending to smoke weed in such a public forum?  I think it’s unlikely but maybe somebody should ask them instead of just assuming it’s something bad?

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Can’t answer that.  Maybe they are making fun of people for all of the weed rumors?  Maybe they smashed their tea cup into the ground?  Why was Leal sitting on the floor making it look like a party?  Do we really think they are pretending to smoke weed in such a public forum?  I think it’s unlikely but maybe somebody should ask them instead of just assuming it’s something bad?

I’m sure if you asked them they aren’t going to say “Yeah we were pretending to smoke weed.”  I asked because I’m older and have zero clue what todays kids and their actions mean.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m sure if you asked them they aren’t going to say “Yeah we were pretending to smoke weed.”  I asked because I’m older and have zero clue what todays kids and their actions mean.  

No, I understand asking the question.  I’m older also so I get it.  I agree it looked strange.  I’m not one that gets into these bench acts personally.  But I also just don’t want to assume the negative if I don’t know.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I would like for you to be right, but I can’t ask them. And I agree, it would be weird for them to do something so stupid in such a public manner. 

It may well be nothing, but to someone who has smoked weed off an on for my entire life, it looks like you are taking care of business and tossing your roach. It’s not an uncommon visual.

And again there is nothing bad about what they are pantomining, except that they are white kids in a world where black kids get arrested on the street for even appearing like they may be smoking weed. 

Again, I would prefer to be wrong, but it’s just a bad look from my perspective.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Explain.  

My google search is not giving me any adequate explanation on how that's related to basketball or roasting someone unless they're dead person.

Simply just a common celebration for athletes recently. For example, "smoking that hawkeye pack" would mean beating Iowa (or something of that nature). That's about the extent of how much I can explain. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it, but I am also a lot younger than most here so I may have a different view of it. Also, for what it's worth, I thought it looked like Leal was sipping tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I would like for you to be right, but I can’t ask them. And I agree, it would be weird for them to do something so stupid in such a public manner. 

It may well be nothing, but to someone who has smoked weed off an on for my entire life, it looks like you are taking care of business and tossing your roach. It’s not an uncommon visual.

And again there is nothing bad about what they are pantomining, except that they are white kids in a world where black kids get arrested on the street for even appearing like they may be smoking weed. 

Again, I would prefer to be wrong, but it’s just a bad look from my perspective.

That is so lit😁