End of season tough choice

Preference for end of the season between two Ok outcomes  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between these two ok-ish outcomes, which would you pick:

• Beat UM, lose to UI - squeak into the big dance and lose first game
    • Beat UM, lose to UI - win the NIT

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

More than a few years ago at this point. But I don’t care. No NCAA, let’s pack our bags, tuck our heads, and go home. It would be quite embarrassing to win the NIT. 

It would be stupid to not play in the NIT.  If you don't like it then don't watch it.

In the past 12 years, Penn St won the NIT twice and Minnesota once. Neither team has the same coach as the one who won it. PSU's wins were by two different coaches. Baylor in 2013 was the only NIT winner that has really built on it. TX won in 2019, but changed coaches afterwards (Shaka jumped ship). Memphis won last year, so it remains to be seen if their late season run this year is real. 

Some other recent NIT champs: TCU, George Washington, Stanford. 

Since the NCAAT expanded, the NIT is a tournament for mediocre, bubble teams at best. You obviously play if invited, but it's meaningless. 

• Like 2

The only case in which I would want to play in the NIT would be a Tom Crean first two years type of situation. New coach, massive rebuild, young team. 

For a team with multiple seniors and guys who have been in the program for 3, 4, or 5 years… the NIT ain’t it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madmax said:

The only case in which I would want to play in the NIT would be a Tom Crean first two years type of situation. New coach, massive rebuild, young team. 

For a team with multiple seniors and guys who have been in the program for 3, 4, or 5 years… the NIT ain’t it.

Yeah, we’re still losers if we win the NIT. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, we’re still losers if we win the NIT. 

This is a problem with our mentatlity.  We're too good because we're Indiana.  Sorry but we're not and haven't been for a while

Winning the NIT is not the NCAA but its still an accomplishment.  Didn't everyone say all year this team needs to learn to win.  Wouldn't winning 5 games in a row in the NIT be better than losing 1 game in the NCAA?  Wouldn't teaching these kids how to win be better.  Yeah the competition wouldn't be as tough, but its still sustained winning over a period of time.  And with everyone coming back, wouldn't it be good for them to come back being a champion of anything versus getting bounced in the first round and nothing?

I hate the NIT as much as the next.  But if given the choice of lose fist round or win the NIT, i take winning a tournament over playing and losing 1 game.  Given i know the results.  Not knowing either, i want the NCAA bid.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Inequality said:

I want the kids that came here to play on the big stage to get their chance. I want IU to bust some brackets.

My own thoughts and everyone has their own: I will not cheer for or support a consolation prize. I’d rather just close that chapter and move on.

Believe it or not, IU played in many N.I.T.'s with Bob Knight as our coach. There used to be N.I.T. banners hanging in AH. Your first sentence I get. The 2nd not so much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is a problem with our mentatlity.  We're too good because we're Indiana.  Sorry but we're not and haven't been for a while

Winning the NIT is not the NCAA but its still an accomplishment.  Didn't everyone say all year this team needs to learn to win.  Wouldn't winning 5 games in a row in the NIT be better than losing 1 game in the NCAA?  Wouldn't teaching these kids how to win be better.  Yeah the competition wouldn't be as tough, but its still sustained winning over a period of time.  And with everyone coming back, wouldn't it be good for them to come back being a champion of anything versus getting bounced in the first round and nothing?

I hate the NIT as much as the next.  But if given the choice of lose fist round or win the NIT, i take winning a tournament over playing and losing 1 game.  Given i know the results.  Not knowing either, i want the NCAA bid.

Sure, but we’re still losers anyway you look at it. Great that they can get some more experience, but there’s a difference in learning to win against mediocre teams and the teams that we need to learn to win against. We didn’t have issues closing out NIT teams. 🤷🏻‍♂️ No thanks for me, and hope it doesn’t matter anyway.