BTT - Illinois pregame thread

tdhoosier

9 hours ago, ArizonaHoosier said:

What I was trying to say... Please be kind as I am not an X's and O's mind.

Durr, TJD, Race, and JG playing 3,4, and 5, with JG never at the 5.

XJ, Phin, and Leal playing 1 and 2 with Leal never playing 1.

4 man rotation on the front and 3 man rotation in back.

Substitute TG as needed between 2 and 3 as needed.

Does this make sense?

I just didnt know why JG was playing the 3 and Leal in the lineup at all. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Just like the first UM game Illinois shot well from three (10-23, 43.5%) in that first go round and got to the line for 26 FTs. It will be difficult for IU to win if Illinois hits 10 threes today, they live at the line, and TJD only plays 23 minutes, like the last time.

Also, as much as IU has to slow Kofi down it's Frazier that usually goes off on IU. I know he's a nine year senior at 28 years old but IU has to figure out how to keep him from having a big game. That may be an exaggeration but he is a problem for IU.

Defensively, is it time to go with the idea of letting Kofi get his and stop the rest of the team? Kofi averages 30 minutes and 21 points per game. It may be smarter just to front him like they did Dickinson yesterday in the second half and double when they try to lob over the top. Tell TJD not to foul and if Kofi goes for 40 but they can control the rest of the Illini they have a great shot at winning this game. Let's see if their big guy can get up and down the court for 30 minutes and carry the full load for them on offense. Just don't let them get going from three and then crash the boards like crazy to limit second and third chances.

Just as important is figuring out how to score. IU shot 35% the last time and 3-13 from three (23%). That won't work. Seems if they can rebound and run they have a better chance because once IL sets up on D, it's tough for IU to score. TJD and Miller combined for six point over 39 minutes. Ugly. 

Let's face it. There are no easy games left for IU this season - not that too many were easy anyway. They will need some bench help. Expecting TJD to go another 36 minutes against another giant, maybe the biggest giant, is asking a lot in back to back games. Time for some of the bench guys to earn their keep.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d love to see Phinisee be huge today, particularly defensively against Frazier and Plummer.  Can’t let those guys keep hitting shots.  

Last time we played them, recall that he was out.  Kopp was not untracked and XJ hadn’t erupted yet. 

And we had a lead halfway through the second half. I expect this game to be close throughout. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Just like the first UM game Illinois shot well from three (10-23, 43.5%) in that first go round and got to the line for 26 FTs. It will be difficult for IU to win if Illinois hits 10 threes today, they live at the line, and TJD only plays 23 minutes, like the last time.

Also, as much as IU has to slow Kofi down it's Frazier that usually goes off on IU. I know he's a nine year senior at 28 years old but IU has to figure out how to keep him from having a big game. That may be an exaggeration but he is a problem for IU.

Defensively, is it time to go with the idea of letting Kofi get his and stop the rest of the team? Kofi averages 30 minutes and 21 points per game. It may be smarter just to front him like they did Dickinson yesterday in the second half and double when they try to lob over the top. Tell TJD not to foul and if Kofi goes for 40 but they can control the rest of the Illini they have a great shot at winning this game. Let's see if their big guy can get up and down the court for 30 minutes and carry the full load for them on offense. Just don't let them get going from three and then crash the boards like crazy to limit second and third chances.

Just as important is figuring out how to score. IU shot 35% the last time and 3-13 from three (23%). That won't work. Seems if they can rebound and run they have a better chance because once IL sets up on D, it's tough for IU to score. TJD and Miller combined for six point over 39 minutes. Ugly. 

Let's face it. There are no easy games left for IU this season - not that too many were easy anyway. They will need some bench help. Expecting TJD to go another 36 minutes against another giant, maybe the biggest giant, is asking a lot in back to back games. Time for some of the bench guys to earn their keep.

I agree with this, but also we need to attack Kofi on offense the way we have Dickinson and Edey the past two games. Get his big, slow backside trying to guard in space on the PnR; let Chef Johnson cook up some spicy nuts to lob up to TJD and serve straight down Kofi’s throat. 

• Like 4

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

You'll probably be disappointed. Kofi has been allowed to lead with his elbow all year. 

I would not be completely shocked if after yesterday we get a favorable whistle early. There were some Hoosiers that were at their wits end with the officiating, and I don't think the frustration was just from yesterdays game. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would not be completely shocked if after yesterday we get a favorable whistle early. There were some Hoosiers that were at their wits end with the officiating, and I don't think the frustration was just from yesterdays game. 

I want the "Hall of Calls" treatment today. After this season of BS we deserve one game. Hopefully by the end we get to see Underwood looking like this anger-disney.gif

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1