Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

I don't know anything about Fife's happiness level at IU but I have noticed it seems Hunter is much more in Woodson's ear during games than either of the other two assistants.  Its not surprising for one coach to be more involved in a game, especially if they have the scout for that game. But after randomly paying attention to the sideline dynamic a lot during the B1G tournament, it was striking just how much more Woodson relied on Hunter for advice in every game than the other two.  Again, probably not relevant to anything relating to Fife, but I just found it interesting.  

1 hour ago, TargaFlorio said:

I don't know anything about Fife's happiness level at IU but I have noticed it seems Hunter is much more in Woodson's ear during games than either of the other two assistants.  Its not surprising for one coach to be more involved in a game, especially if they have the scout for that game. But after randomly paying attention to the sideline dynamic a lot during the B1G tournament, it was striking just how much more Woodson relied on Hunter for advice in every game than the other two.  Again, probably not relevant to anything relating to Fife, but I just found it 

Okay, why this topic has sparked an interest to me is...I don't know, but it has.  While waiting for my daughters to finish dance and not wanting to chat it up with others, I did a little research.

Rumor kind of started from somone on Assembly Call, a fan podcast with little connections to the program.  Somone can correct me there.  It was more I heard...blah, blah, blah.  Then this guy Chris on Btownbanners who is someone that always claims he doesn't really know and says some things as facts that never happens.  He got simple inside info wrong with senior speeches, suspensions, etc.  Then there are people like Jim Coyle who will say, I'm not at practice, but I heard a rumor.  Heard what, from your message board?  Such a silly rumor and if you watch the games you can see the opposite.  And, if you listen to shows, interviews you hear opposite.  I do know a few coaches who visited practices and they talk about a highly engaged staff.  In-fact one thing that stands out is how hands-on Woodson is compared to some other head coaches.  This was a positive.

They were also saying Hunter was upset to - funny.

Yesterday's game Ya was on camera talking it up with a paper covering his face to Woodson.  Fife is always coming over and giving two cents to Woodson from the side of his mouth.  Fife is also always standing with a sheet of paper directing defense.  It seems he is the defense coordinator of sorts.  My guess.

When I was at the Northwesten game, they all were engaged with each other and more importantly the players.  Fife is always in the players ears.  Also Hunter and Fife were always in the refs ears during timeouts.  

On camera, during the Ohio State game, you even saw Matta getting in the ears of refs when there was a clock question for time.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Okay, why this topic has sparked an interest to me is...I don't know, but it has.  While waiting for my daughters to finish dance and not wanting to chat it up with others, I did a little research.

Rumor kind of started from somone on Assembly Call, a fan podcast with little connections to the program.  Somone can correct me there.  It was more I heard...blah, blah, blah.  Then this guy Chris on Btownbanners who is someone that always claims he doesn't really know and says some things as facts that never happens.  He got simple inside info wrong with senior speeches, suspensions, etc.  Then there are people like Jim Coyle who will say, I'm not at practice, but I heard a rumor.  Heard what, from your message board?  Such a silly rumor and if you watch the games you can see the opposite.  And, if you listen to shows, interviews you hear opposite.  I do know a few coaches who visited practices and they talk about a highly engaged staff.  In-fact one thing that stands out is how hands-on Woodson is compared to some other head coaches.  This was a positive.

They were also saying Hunter was upset to - funny.

Yesterday's game Ya was on camera talking it up with a paper covering his face to Woodson.  Fife is always coming over and giving two cents to Woodson from the side of his mouth.  Fife is also always standing with a sheet of paper directing defense.  It seems he is the defense coordinator of sorts.  My guess.

When I was at the Northwesten game, they all were engaged with each other and more importantly the players.  Fife is always in the players ears.  Also Hunter and Fife were always in the refs ears during timeouts.  

On camera, during the Ohio State game, you even saw Matta getting in the ears of refs when there was a clock question for time.  

I couldn’t agree more.  Not talking about anyone here (I like everybody here) but other sources like you said.  Even there I’m not going to call out any of those sources specifically but there is a ton of fake news that never materializes.  Not criticizing anyone but when any of us sees that type of rumor, put it into context.  There are guys who are literally never right.  It’s the boy who cried wolf.  

As for listening to the assistant, I’m sure more people know that different assistants may be assigned different teams for scouting.  Or they may have another responsibility.  Woody may be relying on the “expert” for that situation.  I’ve seen games where Kenya was away from Woody and quiet.  Regarding Fife, I have no idea if he’s frustrated and will wait to see.  Right now, he seems engaged to me. I am a big Fife fan.  Always have been.  I heard about him when he was  literally in junior high. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 6:25 PM, IUwins0708 said:

Wow, sorry I asked this question.  Thought this was a place to do it, guess not.

I wasn’t talking about you or anyone here, nor did I take offense to your question. Point is, people tend to start negative rumors without any real information. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

No, wouldn’t be shocked if Ya left.  I would be super shocked if Fife did.

This is where I'm at.  As I understand it, this is Fife's team in a few years.  Rosemond appears to be very appreciative of the opportunity he has at IU, but he's also now got a mentor coaching at Louisville, so I could see that going either way.

I think some people just live to stir the 💩.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

CompassionateUnfitGermanshepherd-max-1mb.gif.6c32970d9f4bf2f97eed9192ce753370.gif

I am sure there is a nugget of truth to this, but if Fife were to quit one year into this, I would question him as much as Woody. Woody has a lot to learn, if you expect him to make all the right moves his first year, then you've taken the wrong job. At the same time, Woody has to trust his assistant coaches. Sounds like he's just relying on his buddies, which is ok for a bit, but is not realistic long term. Woody is not a dumb guy, and I would hope if a poster on one board and Rabjohns (who are probably getting the information from the same "source") have heard this, I would expect Woody and Fife have talked about it as well. The same reason people are believing it is the same reason to question it, these guys were basically forced into this relationship, so there's going to be learning curves and adjustments made.  

Edited by OGIUAndy

• KDB changed the title to Dane Fife not returning to Indiana