Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am pretty sure I remember Fife talking about players entering the transfer portal and saying kids need to learn to stick it out instead of just leaving.   Doesn't sound like he is not taking his own advise or was he asked to leave.

Something went very wrong here. This from when Fife was hired:

But there's something about Indiana. That's always been the case for Fife, who's always wanted to coach at his alma mater, ''but this is the first time I've ever been offered a job to coach at Indiana.''

Coming home was easy, for the most part. Telling Izzo was hard, but the legendary coach understood, too. He knows what Indiana means, and he knows even more so how much Indiana means to Fife

"When Coach Woodson called and told me the job and the responsibilities, it was a pretty easy decision for me,'' Fife said. "But leaving East Lansing and that situation and everything that came with it, that was the tough decision, working for literally one of the best to ever do it in my mind.

"But to have a chance to work with Coach Woodson, and Coach Matta, and work with someone like Scott Dolson that I've known for 20 years, that's great. That's all great, to work with people that I've respected for a long time. It made it an easy decision.''

Fife packed up quickly after being hired last week and drove straight to Bloomington. His wife Blair and his two young kids will follow once school is over. And then, finally, nearly 20 years later, he will call Bloomington home again.

And he's thrilled about that.

"Now that I'm back, I guess on the right side, I can't wait to just go sit in the bleachers at Assembly Hall, sit in the chairs where the families would sit. So many stories come back to me, from being in there during practice with Coach Knight or Coach Davis. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Why Woody? Maybe Fife didn't like the Wittman stuff....either way Dane Fife is an IU here and when the time comes down the road he'll always be welcomed back!

Woody is the head coach...  who will want to be an assistant when the assistance don't have much input? Fife isn't taking off after 1 year for nothing... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Woody is the head coach...  who will want to be an assistant when the assistance don't have much input? Fife isn't taking off after 1 year for nothing... 

Or maybe, just maybe....there is more to it than the normal reaction of the announcement? Maybe Coach Woodson really wants Wittman around the program, Fife (who is an adult) didn't like the idea and said we'll agree to disagree on this one and part ways? 

Or maybe Coach Woodson is wanting more on the recruiting end from his assistants and thinks other can provide that more than what Fife has done? Again...just throwing options out there. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Or maybe, just maybe....there is more to it than the normal reaction of the announcement? Maybe Coach Woodson really wants Wittman around the program, Fife (who is an adult) didn't like the idea and said we'll agree to disagree on this one and part ways? 

Or maybe Coach Woodson is wanting more on the recruiting end from his assistants and thinks other can provide that more than what Fife has done? Again...just throwing options out there. 

There are a millions options that aren't "Woodson is a terrible HC that doesn't listen to anyone". 

Why is Fife automatically "in the right"? Maybe Fife is an egotistical prick? 

I honestly don't know. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

We have a first year head coach, who turns 64 tomorrow, and the successor in waiting (who bleeds cream & crimson) is leaving after one year. After he spent 10 at MSU, so he's no job hopper. 

IU will be starting over again in another couple of years. This will really make recruiting difficult. 

I didn't want Fife after Woody anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

It doesn’t necessarily have to be on Woody but if the rumors about listening to to Wittman and Todd over Fife and the other coaches are true then I would lean towards Woody.  I mean like or hate Izzo he’s a HoF coach and Fife worked for him a long time.  I don’t like this at all. 

• Like 4