Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

Not to say I saw it coming in any way, but Fife’s level of engagement did indeed drop off as someone else said. I watch the bench alot during time outs and commercials, and I hardly saw Dane interact with players. CMW never seemed to consult with him during any games. Seemed to me like Hunter was CMW’s right hand man. He seemed unhappy during the stretch run of the season. More went on than we know. Maybe Dane was brought in to help pacify fans, and after a seemingly successful first year, a move was made? Pure speculation on my part, but what is IU off season with no drama??

• Like 4

I am overly caffeinated, but I wonder if this portends Jim Todd joining the staff.  Maybe Woody wanted to make a hire and needed a spot.

But let's not sit here and pretend Woody was phenomenal with X's and O's all season.  There were some lapses although we were better later in the season.  There's no way Fife was leading him astray after working at a high level at MSU.

Ultimately, I find it to be weak leadership to move on from a good coach due to some dysfunction.  This should have gotten worked out.  It's ridiculous.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

He was at MSU for 10 years. He did fine under Izzo. 

It was known that he and Izzo butted heads at times. That said Izzo didn’t want yes men and knows that it’s okay for assistants to have different opinions. Izzo also would listen to those same assistants so things didn’t always fall on deaf ears.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

It was known that he and Izzo butted heads at times. That said Izzo didn’t want yes men and knows that it’s okay for assistants to have different opinions. Izzo also would listen to those same assistants so things didn’t always fall on deaf ears.

Absolutely.  Debate is healthy.  Show me a guy who surrounds himself with "yes men" and I will show you a bad leader.

• Like 1

It has to be Fife was forced on CMW as coach in waiting or wonder boy.  I’m sure Fife was told everyone’s on board…maybe even a timetable for him taking over?  
CMW pulled a TB12….trade Jimmy G!

what else makes sense ?

Dane is a jerk?  Don’t buy it 

he can’t coach ! 👎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of fans are going to be unhappy. I think they were expecting CMW to be a bridge to the Dane Fife era. I do think that is part of the reason he was brought on, to help ease the fanbase’s uncertainty about the move. Wonder if Matta will stay? 

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We have a first year head coach, who turns 64 tomorrow, and the successor in waiting (who bleeds cream & crimson) is leaving after one year. After he spent 10 at MSU, so he's no job hopper. 

IU will be starting over again in another couple of years. This will really make recruiting difficult. 

Just got done listening to Rabjohn's on JMV and there was never a plan to have Fife as the coach in waiting. Rabjohn's said one thing the athletic department was upset with Fife was his tweets about NIL.  He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  Rabjohn's even told Fife that was not a smart thing to say since IU is trying to establish itself with the NIL. Fife told Rabjohn that he got reprimanded for those comments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

It has to be Fife was forced on CMW as coach in waiting or wonder boy.  I’m sure Fife was told everyone’s on board…maybe even a timetable for him taking over?  
CMW pulled a TB12….trade Jimmy G!

what else makes sense ?

Dane is a jerk?  Don’t buy it 

he can’t coach ! 👎

Mike Woodson wants yes men. That’s not Fife. The dude lasted 10 years with a hall of famer at MSU but can only last 1 with Woodson. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am overly caffeinated, but I wonder if this portends Jim Todd joining the staff.  Maybe Woody wanted to make a hire and needed a spot.

But let's not sit here and pretend Woody was phenomenal with X's and O's all season.  There were some lapses although we were better later in the season.  There's no way Fife was leading him astray after working at a high level at MSU.

Ultimately, I find it to be weak leadership to move on from a good coach due to some dysfunction.  This should have gotten worked out.  It's ridiculous.

I don’t mean this in a rude way, but would you rather have a dysfunctional coaching staff leading to division in the locker room and other issues? If there were true issues going on among the staff I’d prefer it to be fixed sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just got done listening to Rabjohn's on JMV and there was never a plan to have Fife as the coach in waiting. Rabjohn's said one thing the athletic department was upset with Fife was his tweets about NIL.  He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  Rabjohn's even told Fife that was not a smart thing to say since IU is trying to establish itself with the NIL. Fife told Rabjohn that he got reprimanded for those comments.

I don't think it was just Woodson that told Fife to leave. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This makes sense

• Like 1

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

I don’t mean this in a rude way, but would you rather have a dysfunctional coaching staff leading to division in the locker room and other issues? If there were true issues going on among the staff I’d prefer it to be fixed sooner rather than later. 

Not offended.  Adults should be able to get rid of dysfunction.  I have been working a hell of a long time (knock on wood).   There are people who lack the personal skills to get along.  Personally, i can.  I find it to be a weakness of people who cannot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let me see if I have this right. Fife has a great position for 10 years . Loves IU fans love him. Is lured away to be on staff and presumably the coach in waiting only to be let go by the coach that was forced to have him on staff to begin with. I feel for Dane and his family. Very good people I hate this for them

He was never the coach in waiting and wasn't in his contact per Rabjohn's

• Like 2