Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

One thing I know about Woodson is that soon after taking the job he was supposed to speak at a coaches clinic in the state. The morning of Fife showed up and said Woodson sent him because he couldn't make it. I guess it really rubbed some people the wrong way. Overall I’m still not sure how to take Woody as a college head coach. So this second year will be a massive test.

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Another example of Indiana eating its own. Has to be in the mind of any replacement coaches unless they are already assured from Woody 

How do you know he is being forced out. you dont. Fife was forced on Woody by Dolson. People just dont match sometimes, it happens. Its Woody's team, no assistant is going to change that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

That’s a fact but it’s starting to really sound that way. We’ll see what happens moving forward.

There are massively conflicting reports of about everything you've stated on here. Idk either way, but today looks much worse on DF then it does CMW. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just got done listening to Rabjohn's on JMV and there was never a plan to have Fife as the coach in waiting. Rabjohn's said one thing the athletic department was upset with Fife was his tweets about NIL.  He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  Rabjohn's even told Fife that was not a smart thing to say since IU is trying to establish itself with the NIL. Fife told Rabjohn that he got reprimanded for those comments.

Context is important, but this puts me even more solidly in the Fife camp. I bet the St Peters players that beat KY have thought very little about the NIL this season. 

• Haha 1

Okay, so I was 100% wrong on this one.  I guess, I'm more disappointed in Dane that he would "leak" information.  I'm sure he will get a good job, but thatis not a trustworthy thing to do in this profession.  Interesting with some of the rumors Dolson hired Fife before Woody had a chance to.

I willnow beleive in some of the rumors, even if they don't make sense to me.ha!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Not offended.  Adults should be able to get rid of dysfunction.  I have been working a hell of a long time (knock on wood).   There are people who lack the personal skills to get along.  Personally, i can.  I find it to be a weakness of people who cannot.

Makes sense. None of us here know the true reasoning behind this (although I’m sure details will come) so it’s all speculation. I guess it really comes down to how big the rift was between them and what the specifics are. If it was something small, then I agree with your sentiment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

One thing I know about Woodson is that soon after taking the job he was supposed to speak at a coaches clinic in the state. The morning of Fife showed up and said Woodson sent him because he couldn't make it. I guess it really rubbed some people the wrong way. Overall I’m still not sure how to take Woody as a college head coach. So this second year will be a massive test.

Ultimately he has to win and it won't matter what any of us say.  But, if you don't win, stuff can get thrown back at you to create a narrative that you're ill-equipped.  This isn't fatal.  But Imagine Ya is leaving as some have said.  Then imagine next year or the year after, he starts making other changes.  If he isn't winning over 25 games a year and going deep in the tourney, he will be in a pressure cooker.  Dane Fife is incredibly popular.  There is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I am the only one on this.  

Whatever.  Recruit and win.  And don't embarrass us.  Go 26-8 and get to the elite 8 next year and he gets a pass for this.  Go 20-13 with a first round exit and another assistant departs next year, and that vice grip around his neck tightens another notch.

Fife coached in a prominent role at MSU for a top coach for a decade with substantial recruiting and on-court successes.  He is not chopped liver.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Not to say I saw it coming in any way, but Fife’s level of engagement did indeed drop off as someone else said. I watch the bench alot during time outs and commercials, and I hardly saw Dane interact with players. CMW never seemed to consult with him during any games. Seemed to me like Hunter was CMW’s right hand man. He seemed unhappy during the stretch run of the season. More went on than we know. Maybe Dane was brought in to help pacify fans, and after a seemingly successful first year, a move was made? Pure speculation on my part, but what is IU off season with no drama??

I noticed this as well on the bench. Fife just did not seemed engaged with the players or “into it” a lot of times when they showed him during games. 

Could just be a weird sample size, but it was striking to me watching. Maybe it was on him, maybe Woodson just didn’t gel w/ him or try to include him.

I wanted Fife to come join the staff for sure and loved him as a player, but people really seem to be pushing the “Fife is perfect, Woodson is bad” angle hard w/o a lot of actual information.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Context is important, but this puts me even more solidly in the Fife camp. I bet the St Peters players that beat KY have thought very little about the NIL this season. 

what do you mean the Fife camp? You're supporting someone that was told to leave for insubordination, as well as s*** like this. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I am a company guy for IU. But if Dane really did make an offer to a player that he was explicitly told not to, that is not good.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think it was just Woodson that told Fife to leave. 

It sounds like Fife wasn't doing well on the recruiting end of the job. Rabjohn's said that Woodson wants assistants to be more of a recruiter than anything else

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I was referring to this:

He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  

There is nothing wrong with this.  He is making a point about attitude and character.  He is not saying don't get any NIL money.  He is not stupid.  This is how the telephone game creates false narratives.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Makes sense. None of us here know the true reasoning behind this (although I’m sure details will come) so it’s all speculation. I guess it really comes down to how big the rift was between them and what the specifics are. If it was something small, then I agree with your sentiment.

My opinion.  If things weren't going well, sit down and go over what the issues are.  Come to a mutual understanding about where the other guy is coming from.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I was referring to this:

He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There is nothing wrong with this.  He is making a point about attitude and character.  He is not saying don't get any NIL money.  He is not stupid.  This is how the telephone game creates false narratives.

I would hope every IU coach would say this to current and prospective players 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1