Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No doubt Rabby talks out of his ass a lot.  His favorite move is to connect dots from his imagination and start throwing things out as rumors.  That's why he is wrong so often.

The only way he can truly know is if Fife tells him directly.

I bet Fife comes on DD or JMV and gives an explanation.  He will be professional but will probably give some candor too.  I bet he is classy though.  He is smart enough to play it that way.

He said that he was friends with Fife and Fife was the one that told him he got reprimanded by the athletic department for those tweets.

• Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong...didn't Dolson make Woody take Fife on? If that is true, and if it didn't work out, as it appears to have not, then just a weird situation on a program faced with multiple years of bleh. 

I'm satisfied overall with this season, although there were many flaws throughout. Woody will fill it as he sees fit, and we'll all be salivating over waiting for November to arrive

Just now, Coach Robby said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...didn't Dolson make Woody take Fife on? If that is true, and if it didn't work out, as it appears to have not, then just a weird situation on a program faced with multiple years of bleh. 

I'm satisfied overall with this season, although there were many flaws throughout. Woody will fill it as he sees fit, and we'll all be salivating over waiting for November to arrive

Maybe.  But it also might have been,

Dolson:  "Mike, we want to offer you the job, but we are concerned about your experience in college.  To solve that concern, we will bring in Thad Matta and Dane Fife to support you.  Are you ok with that?'"

Mike: "Hell yeah, where do I sign?"

Mike could have told Dolson to pound sand.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’m starting to step off the cliff and understand the move. I still have concerns but we’ll see how things play out. I just feel like it’s never ending stupidity with this program.

Or just the first move in a series of moves that we now have a true steward of IU Basketball again....a guy that is old school but knows when something isn't right. Willing to make the tough call. I'm more and more comfortable with this decision....but that doesn't mean I don't wish Dane Fife well too. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One, being an ex-IU player should never enter into the evaluation of whether someone is doing there job right, or whether someone should be considered a good candidate for a position. This was not IU eating their own. This was not IU treating an ex-player like poop. This was a year end employee evaluation that didn’t result in the employee being retained.

Two, any good leader has a vision for where he wants his organization to go. Any good leader will surround himself with people that share that same vision and agree on the steps and methods to make that vision a reality. It’s not surrounding oneself with “yes men.” It’s developing a staff you trust, and letting them do their job to get to the goal. If CMW didn’t trust Dane, he couldn’t keep him on staff. If there was a rift, the longer it festered, the worse things would have gotten.

Three, having a leader make a decision that he knows is going to be unpopular shows an immense amount of backbone. That’s certainly one trait I want to see from a leader.

Finally, these “fan forums” provide us a chance to do a lot of things, including making assumptions when we don’t have nearly all the facts as to what really happened. Fun to read everyone’s opinions, but none of us are inside the room to make statements with any amount of certainty.

Thanks for the entertainment 

Fair enough.  But we do know that he fired a good coach.  We don't need conjecture.  He fired a talented guy.

Like I said, no one will care if he wins big and he knocks it off with further replacements.  Maybe he hires a great recruiter and they stay together for 5 years and he wins 115 games in 5 years.  Then, this whole discussion will be silly.  It doesn't matter what any of us say until patterns are established.

Woody should stabilize his staff.  If not, it will clearly be him and not the assistants.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fair enough.  But we do know that he fired a good coach.  We don't need conjecture.  He fired a talented guy.

Like I said, no one will care if he wins big and he knocks it off with further replacements.  Maybe he hires a great recruiter and they stay together for 5 years and he wins 115 games in 5 years.  Then, this whole discussion will be silly.  It doesn't matter what any of us say until patterns are established.

Woody should stabilize his staff.  If not, it will clearly be him and not the assistants.

Agree completely, and I can’t imagine that he didn’t have a plan in mind prior to any conversation with Dane. Mike has been in this long enough to know that. He has earned the respect of players who played at the highest level in the world. You don’t get to that point in your profession by not having a plan or vision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree completely, and I can’t imagine that he didn’t have a plan in mind prior to any conversation with Dane. Mike has been in this long enough to know that. He has earned the respect of players who played at the highest level in the world. You don’t get to that point in your profession by not having a plan or vision.

Based on some of the recruits who we are in on, I like our chances.  I think Ya and Hunter look good on the trail and Woody seems able to close.  Then you win and it becomes "Fife, Schmife," lol.  I am bullish on these prospects.

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I meant to make it work when both parties have a lot to gain.  He is firing a talented coach because he couldn't get along with him.  I don't buy that as good leadership.

I have no problem being the face of fans dissatisfied with this outcome.  Let Woody enjoy some blowback.  

Like I said, go 26-8 and no one will remember.  Go 20-13 and fire another assistant next year and it starts looking like a cluster.  It's never one thing that does you in.

I get ya and I doubt there is anyone satisfied with this outcome. We really don't know enough facts yet to say this was All Woody, or All Dane, or even a mix of both. Who knows yet, we don't. I do know things have a way of working out, but then again this is IU so WTFK's?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One, being an ex-IU player should never enter into the evaluation of whether someone is doing there job right, or whether someone should be considered a good candidate for a position. This was not IU eating their own. This was not IU treating an ex-player like poop. This was a year end employee evaluation that didn’t result in the employee being retained.

Two, any good leader has a vision for where he wants his organization to go. Any good leader will surround himself with people that share that same vision and agree on the steps and methods to make that vision a reality. It’s not surrounding oneself with “yes men.” It’s developing a staff you trust, and letting them do their job to get to the goal. If CMW didn’t trust Dane, he couldn’t keep him on staff. If there was a rift, the longer it festered, the worse things would have gotten.

Three, having a leader make a decision that he knows is going to be unpopular shows an immense amount of backbone. That’s certainly one trait I want to see from a leader.

Finally, these “fan forums” provide us a chance to do a lot of things, including making assumptions when we don’t have nearly all the facts as to what really happened. Fun to read everyone’s opinions, but none of us are inside the room to make statements with any amount of certainty.

Thanks for the entertainment 

And one of the worst things a leader can do is hold on to someone you know isn't the right person for the job (anyone here think the IU administration has ever held on to head coaches for too long? 🙃) In my experience, that never turns out well. Fife's credentials are solid for sure but something didn't fit so a change was made.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I get ya and I doubt there is anyone satisfied with this outcome. We really don't know enough facts yet to say this was All Woody, or All Dane, or even a mix of both. Who knows yet, we don't. I do know things have a way of working out, but then again this is IU so WTFK's?  

Agree.  I will stop beating the dead horse.  I am WAY over caffeinated for real.  Hope I didn't offend anyone.  I do think there are others in the IU sphere who might agree with me, so I am giving that view.  

We can all agree, let's get a good assistant, let him recruit at a high level, and let's win.  Reneau, Little, Sparks, on and on.  We are on some good players.  

• Like 2