Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

6 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

CMW knows best 

C0496687-337E-4003-830D-0F554CE3C44C.jpeg

I am sure Fife has a side to all of that.  He is not dumb.  How did he just land Max Christie for MSU?  By being an idiot?  That's a PR piece stilted from the IU POV.  They want to sell the firing because they know Fife is popular and people like me like him and want to know how this happened.

The loyalty thing is total BS.  I have heard Fife say he is not the coach in waiting and that has never been discussed.  That's a strong clue that Woodson's insecurity is running wild.

Let's see if Woody can keep the rest of his staff and knock it off with further internal conflicts in the future.  You don't strike out on one strike.    

Edited by BobSaccamanno

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Come on, you can't put the MSU scandal on Fife.  That's a stretch.  That was over his pay grade.  He literally has nothing to do with it. 

I think anytime a head coach fires a top assistant, it is 100% fair game to challenge it.  IMO you don't let a top guy due to personal weakness or frailty.  Top assistants don't grow on trees and letting one go is not wise management, IMO.  I said it before, I am 90% positive, but I am not going to reflexively defend anything coming out of the program.  

Bob, top asst? He wasnt our top asst... if thats a TRUE title, which I don't believe it is.. Hunter would have had that title. 

Losing Fife is a net gain, at this point. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am sure Fife has a side to all of that.  He is not dumb.  How did he just land Max Christie for MSU?  By being an idiot?  That's a PR piece stilted from the IU POV.  They want to sell the firing because they know Fife is popular and people like me like him and want to know how this happened.

The loyalty thing is total BS.  I have heard Fife say he is not the coach in waiting and that has never been discussed.  That's a strong clue that Woodson's insecurity is running wild.

Let's see if Woody can keep the rest of his staff and knock it off with further internal conflicts in the future.  You don't strike out on one strike.    

DE

Caff

Bob.  😁

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bob, top asst? He wasnt our top asst... if thats a TRUE title, which I don't believe it is.. Hunter would have had that title. 

Losing Fife is a net gain, at this point. 

By top assistant I just meant he is well regarded.  I heard him tell DD that there was never a discussion of him being formally named the top assistant.  He wasn't worried about it.  He came here.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

By top assistant I just meant he is well regarded.  I heard him tell DD that there was never a discussion of him being formally named the top assistant.  He wasn't worried about it.  He came here.  

Does any university have a top asst? Like that they name?

If you offer a recruit that you were told NOT to offer.. you should be fired. You couple that with the NIL stuff... Dane put himself in this spot. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

If you offer a recruit that you were told NOT to offer.. you should be fired. You couple that with the NIL stuff... Dane put himself in this spot. 

Let's see what his side of the story is.  We have heard from the prosecution.  Dane is smart.  He will explain his side.  If he confirms that everything is exactly like it was stated, then fine, buh-bye.

Dollars to doughnuts, he will present his truth and it won't fit that hatchet job. 

1. He has said he didn't come here to be the coach in waiting and that was never discussed.  So, that whole thing is a Woody insecurity and not Fife.
2.  On the NIL, he is not saying it shouldn't exist.  He is saying get your NIL, but on the court and in practice, focus on basketball and get your priorities right.
3.  The stuff about recruiting, I don't know what his answer is there.  But as ridiculously twisted as the first couple of things are (i.e., zero credibility), I doubt the hatchet job there is true either.

Let's see what he says.  If he confirms that it is all true, then I will let it go and we can move on.  I am a fan of the program not any individual. 

But I do want to see them make good decisions and not be guided by dysfunction.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

During the Mike Davis era, John Treloar was the associate head coach, which I would translate to "top assistant." ...and I believe I've heard that term applied to other assistants as well...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Let's see what his side of the story is.  We have heard from the prosecution.  Dane is smart.  He will explain his side.  If he confirms that everything is exactly like it was stated, then fine, buh-bye.

Dollars to doughnuts, he will present his truth and it won't fit that hatchet job. 

1. He has said he didn't come here to be the coach in waiting and that was never discussed.  So, that whole thing is a Woody insecurity and not Fife.
2.  On the NIL, he is not saying it shouldn't exist.  He is saying get your NIL, but on the court and in practice, focus on basketball and get your priorities right.
3.  The stuff about recruiting, I don't know what his answer is there.  But as ridiculously twisted as the first couple of things are (i.e., zero credibility), I doubt the hatchet job there is true either.

Let's see what he says.  If he confirms that it is all true, then I will let it go and we can move on.  I am a fan of the program not any individual. 

You're missing the point on #2. It wasnt that he disagreed with NIL in regards to IU kids... it was the fact he took to twitter to rant about it, right after they had a huge meeting about it. Like.. ungodly disrespectful. 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This I could say I have heard him on the radio say he wanted the head coaching gig and went for it.  He also said he hopes to get it in the future.  After reading a bunch and not believing the rumors when first started......they all connect.  Its the recruiting, politics, NIL etc.  I texted some AAU connections in Chicago, have not heard back.  But, it all aligns now.  I didn't want to beleive it because Fife was a figure on our last championship team.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

During the Mike Davis era, John Treloar was the associate head coach, which I would translate to "top assistant." ...and I believe I've heard that term applied to other assistants as well...

Assoc Head Coach for sure. I just didn't feel like I had even heard that term much in basketball. I agree, if you are deemed "AHC" youre the "top asst". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks.  i did not have the precise title at my fingertips, but I was using the term in a different sense than a title.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Max Christie was recruited by Tom Izzo, seen Izzo at games.  Fife was involved, but Izzo went all in for him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Max Christie was recruited by Tom Izzo, seen Izzo at games.  Fife was involved, but Izzo went all in for him.

I wouldn't discount Fife.  I heard he was a huge part of that recruitment, scouting and laying the foundation.  It would not be surprising that a head coach needs to close the deal, though.  

We are getting into the pile on phase on Fife.  I want to hear his side.  He is a stand up guy and I think he will say what's on his mind.  I don't think he will be defensive and blame the school.  But my sense is there is nuance here that has turned into a classic prosecution case where he was evil in every sense.

If we do this to Fife, who is safe in the annals in the program?

Edited by BobSaccamanno

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Rabjohn's talked to Fife all the time and was really good friends with him. I don't think he posted this for IU and against Dane.

• Like 6

On the NIL, people are acting like Fife thinks IU shouldn't participate in it.  I bet he sees kids absorbed in their phones focused on everything but hoops and he wanted them to get focused.   I bet he will say that his twitter thing (which I never saw) was inartfully stated and misunderstood.  I have a hard time believing he thinks IU shouldn't participate in the NIL, which is what this pile-on is suggesting.  He probably thought he was ok because he was making a different point and not saying NIL shouldn't exist.  

To me the pile-on just doesn't ring true to who Dane Fife is.  He probably made an inadvertent mistake, which he would own up to.  Intentionally going rogue, I doubt it.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My own belief is that Dane will have his "day in court" on Dakich's radio show...

I just hope it doesn't turn into a Woody bashing exercise...but I'm not hopeful...

I predict he won't do that.  I think he is a stand up guy.  I think there will be mistakes but not of the intentional, insubordinate way.  I think he will own up to inadvertent mistakes.  Maybe it is the lawyer in me, but the campaign against him does not ring true and sounds twisted and one sided.  

I take back what I said about being a bad look.  Totally just looks bad on Dane now.  Sounds like Dane is the egotistical one.  Props to Woody for being the leader and doing what needed to be done.  Sounds like it wasn’t that tough of a decision after reading Rabbys post. Wowsers!!

• Like 6