Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Absolutely not. Just because it’s IU doesn’t mean everything they do is right.  I am right on this. Period.  This is on Woody not Fife.  

Would you say drunk posting on Twitter that the Izzone is the best student section in cbb is a good thing? Something an asst coach should do?

• Like 2

what is being reported  boils down to multiple acts of insubordination. If your manager or boss tells you multiple times to cut that s*** out and you continue to do it. That’s insubordination that would (and should)  get you fired at any job from a cashier to a CEO. (Yes CEO’s even report to someone). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IU247 said:

what is being reported  boils down to multiple acts of insubordination. If your manager or boss tells you multiple times to cut that s*** out and you continue to do it. That’s insubordination that would (and should)  get you fired at any job from a cashier to a CEO. (Yes CEO’s even report to someone). 

I think Fife didn’t mean to be insubordinating. I think he was making a different point and he’d apologize for handling it poorly.  But I believe he’d say it was a mistake and not willful insubordination.  Maybe I’m wrong but that’s my interpretation.

In Rabbys interview he said he warned Fife not to go on Twitter with that and later Fife called him to say “you’re right, I got reprimanded.”   I took that to mean Fife was surprised.  So that’s why I think it was more a mistake.  

I believe Fife’s point is, sure make your NIL money.  But when it’s serious time, let’s get down to it for the team.  That’s what it’s really about.  He wants it both ways.  Fife knows NIL is critical for recruiting.  

I really don’t think he had bad intent.  

I truly want to hear his side of the story.  

Ultimately, we are all friends here.  Enjoy talking to you guys about numerous topics, broad sports topics or otherwise, like life.  We all want IU to become the real deal.  What’s done is done with Fife, whether we are disappointed or applauding it.  

There is still plenty of optimism with Woody and his vision.   4 out and one in on offense.  Defense was excellent already and we just need to keep that rolling because it kept us in most games.

It is the time of year to shift to recruiting.  Let’s get some bigs who can run the floor, a wing who can defend, and true shooters.  Let’s get some of the recruits and build the roster for a step up next year.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 7

I'm ambivalent on Fife leaving/staying. I guess I trust Woody in the end. It is clear that the team that played 4 out of the last 5 games (really the final 8-10 games) was a different team and whatever coaching led to that, I support.

I've always been nervous about the possibility (threat) of Fife taking over the program. His PFW experience may be a long time ago, but it is his only experience as HC.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ultimately, we are all friends here.  Enjoy talking to you guys about numerous topics, broad sports topics or otherwise, like life.  We all want IU to become the real deal.  What’s done is done with Fife, whether we are disappointed or applauding it.  

There is still plenty of optimism with Woody and his vision.   4 out and one in on offense.  Defense was excellent already and we just need to keep that rolling because it kept us in most games.

It is the time of year to shift to recruiting.  Let’s get some bigs who can run the floor, a wing who can defend, and true shooters.  Let’s get some of the recruits and build the roster for a step up next year.  

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of trashing Fife on the way out, but it does sound like he made some mistakes. I am sure Woody made a few too. Either way, I don't think it's that big of a deal to separate if it's not working. That being said, I think some people (not you) defending Fife to the end, shouldn't be so quick to personally attack players who actually play for the team, that's not a good look either. Many, many people were quick to accuse players of smoking weed without much proof besides similar rumor mongering. Most of the rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. There might be a little smoke, but without both sides of the story, it all lacks context or depth. I hate to see Fife leave under these circumstances, but it is what it is. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Fife didn’t mean to be insubordinating. I think he was making a different point and he’d apologize for handling it poorly.  But I believe he’d say it was a mistake and not willful insubordination.  Maybe I’m wrong but that’s my interpretation.

In Rabbys interview he said he warned Fife not to go on Twitter with that and later Fife called him to say “you’re right, I got reprimanded.”   I took that to mean Fife was surprised.  So that’s why I think it was more a mistake.  

I believe Fife’s point is, sure make your NIL money.  But when it’s serious time, let’s get down to it for the team.  That’s what it’s really about.  He wants it both ways.  Fife knows NIL is critical for recruiting.  

I really don’t think he had bad intent.  

I truly want to hear his side of the story.  

I think this just shows that (1) He seems to disregard or ignore any external guidance or advice and (2) he consistently acted in a way that was very disconnected from the realities of the CBB landscape in 2022…and either he fundamentally couldn’t grasp this or he had a blatant disregard for it.

He knew that NIL is an advantaged recruiting area for IU and he still chose to undermine it. Whose interests was he serving in doing so? Because it wasn’t IUBB. 

Either way, he doesn’t come across as having a ton of self-awareness or even discipline for that matter.  

I love Fife and I’m forever appreciative of his time as a player. But I think folks are treating him with kid gloves right now. We’ve seen what happens when our assistants don’t recruit and perform. We should be ecstatic that we’re proactively addressing this for once. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

CMW knows best 

C0496687-337E-4003-830D-0F554CE3C44C.jpeg

With friends like that, who needs enemies? 

Rabjohns took it down, but I'd think it'll be a while before Fife is considered for an assistant position at any school, and even longer for a head coaching gig.

The statement on politics alone would give most administrators pause. You want a divided team? Inject politics into it, particularly in today's climate. And that goes for ANY kind of team. Believe me, I know...

Rabjohns aside, I think it was just a long time NBA coach and a long time college coach not seeing eye to eye on a lot of subjects, and not just basketball. I also believe the NIL comments would have ensured which side of the fence Dolson landed on.

Good luck to Dane...I think he's going to need it.

• Like 2

If what is said is true a split was needed. I just don’t like the way it unfolded. Woodson didn’t say anything defaming fife, fife didn’t say anything bad, but of course someone needs to get clicks. Nobody needed to know what all happened. It’s not our “right” to know as fans just because we overreact to everything and feel like we deserve to know every detail when we don’t deserve crap. Dane made the mistakes so be it, but he’s still a Hoosier who moved his family, left a great spot, and I don’t doubt he did a lot of the stuff with the best of intentions, which isn’t always good. But why put him on blast Rabjohns? No need to rub salt in an open wound. Just my two cents.  

• Like 6

The more I think about it, the more I worry that the Rabjohns post has the potential to make this situation a lot more sordid and ugly than it needed to be.

Instead of posting a blow by blow accounting of sins, Rabjohns could have posted something much more generic and still convinced those that follow him as a program insider.  For example, why couldn't he just say something along the lines of "From things I've personally observed, as well as other things I've been told from reliable sources, the coaching change is justified.".  Boom.  That's it.  That's all that was needed.

As it stands now, if even one of the things Rabjohns listed is untrue, or even simply embellished, he has opened up himself for a defamation lawsuit and the University up for potential wrongful termination.  

For example, and I'm going to keep this as generic as I can to avoid breaking board rules, and I ask everyone else to keep it generic as well.  The 'politics' aspect of Rabjohns post comes out in print as very damaging to Dane.  There is no other way to categorize it.  But, what if the 'politics' references simply had to do with Dan wearing a ball cap that supported a particular candidate.  Let's assume then he was told to stop.

At this point, we need to ask some questions of the University.  Do they have a dress code that prohibits the wearing of political attire?  Have they requested the Philosophy professor to remove the bumper sticker that supports a different candidate from his car?  Obviously my scenario is a 'what-if'.  But, given the public nature of what Rabjohns posted, these are the type of things that could easily be used to file and win a lawsuit.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm truly concerned the public hatchet job Rabjohns did on Fife could cause this thing to blow up, and that would definitely not be good for the basketball program.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

If what is said is true a split was needed. I just don’t like the way it unfolded. Woodson didn’t say anything defaming fife, fife didn’t say anything bad, but of course someone needs to get clicks. Nobody needed to know what all happened. It’s not our “right” to know as fans just because we overreact to everything and feel like we deserve to know every detail when we don’t deserve crap. Dane made the mistakes so be it, but he’s still a Hoosier who moved his family, left a great spot, and I don’t doubt he did a lot of the stuff with the best of intentions, which isn’t always good. But why put him on blast Rabjohns? No need to rub salt in an open wound. Just my two cents.  

Rabjohns is the mouthpiece of IU.  Nothing that dude says doesn't have tacit approval from the school.  That is how he keeps his access.

IU is a dysfunctional organization.  If you are an assistant coach and you see what they did to Fife, one of their own, there is no way in hell I am going to work for the program.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  And this isn't even disputing whether the allegations are true or not.  From all appearances the school and its mouthpieces in the media went out of their way to smear the guy.

If Woodson wants a bunch of former NBA guys to be on his bench, then put them on the freaking bench.  There are not many quality assistants that are going to be super interested in doing all the traveling for recruiting and only being window dressing for actual coaching.  The DOBO that was always next to Woodson on the bench, make him your assistant because you are going to listen to that dude more than you are whoever gets brought in.

If you can identify 3 smart ways and 7 dumb ways to handle a situation, you can count on Indiana picking one of the 7 dumb ways.  Every. Single. Time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The more I think about it, the more I worry that the Rabjohns post has the potential to make this situation a lot more sordid and ugly than it needed to be.

Instead of posting a blow by blow accounting of sins, Rabjohns could have posted something much more generic and still convinced those that follow him as a program insider.  For example, why couldn't he just say something along the lines of "From things I've personally observed, as well as other things I've been told from reliable sources, the coaching change is justified.".  Boom.  That's it.  That's all that was needed.

As it stands now, if even one of the things Rabjohns listed is untrue, or even simply embellished, he has opened up himself for a defamation lawsuit and the University up for potential wrongful termination.  

For example, and I'm going to keep this as generic as I can to avoid breaking board rules, and I ask everyone else to keep it generic as well.  The 'politics' aspect of Rabjohns post comes out in print as very damaging to Dane.  There is no other way to categorize it.  But, what if the 'politics' references simply had to do with Dan wearing a ball cap that supported a particular candidate.  Let's assume then he was told to stop.

At this point, we need to ask some questions of the University.  Do they have a dress code that prohibits the wearing of political attire?  Have they requested the Philosophy professor to remove the bumper sticker that supports a different candidate from his car?  Obviously my scenario is a 'what-if'.  But, given the public nature of what Rabjohns posted, these are the type of things that could easily be used to file and win a lawsuit.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm truly concerned the public hatchet job Rabjohns did on Fife could cause this thing to blow up, and that would definitely not be good for the basketball program.

I think you’d struggle to get a lawsuit directed at the university from anything posted by an unaffiliated source. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will go there, if he wore something with BLM, nobody would have gave a shit.  Race was somebody who was pretty involved in that stuff a few years ago.  Politics are a-okay as long as it is the right (left) politics.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1