Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Whatever the cause, whoever is at fault, I feel bad for Dane Fife and his family. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one bit I've had to move my family and there are challenges with that. It must be really hard to be facing that just 1 year after uprooting them. 

Yes very true. I never want to see anyone lose their job been there done that and feel for the family.  I had shared many a beer and shots with Dane and his wife before they were married and all I can judge is what I witnessed. Very good people. From a personal perspective I hate this but I am in the wait and see group on if this was what's best for the program. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Even if a lawsuit is thrown out, every second it is in the public eye damages the basketball program.  

I think Dane would be making a career ending mistake if he tried to sue IU, I see this is a completely fabricated issue.

On your generic political scenario, I'll bite. It's an apples to oranges comparison - a head basketball coach is absolutely allowed and expected to have rules and expectations for his staff that have nothing to do with what a professor does. Further, from Rabjohn's post this wasn't an issue of him doing something political privately, it was trying to influence players. Additionally, many professors subject matters are inherently political and part of the job of a professor is to provide an education, where as that isn't something related to basketball at all.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rabjohns may have stepped on his own doker here too...

I wonder how many current IU assistants are going to trust Rabjohns now?

He did a hatchet job on one...think the rest will ever confide in him or give him an inside scoop?

I would actually argue that a lot of posts (not your post that I'm responding to) in threads like this are the reason the Rabjohn's post ever happened. 

Many rushed to defend Dane while taking shots at IU and Woodson in the process. Instead of just being neutral on the issue some have forced some pretty unfortunate information about Dane to be put into the public sphere. 

EDIT: I do agree with many that are saying Rabjohn's could have probably been more tactful in how he relayed information and how specific he got. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rabjohns may have stepped on his own doker here too...

I wonder how many current IU assistants are going to trust Rabjohns now?

He did a hatchet job on one...think the rest will ever confide in him or give him an inside scoop?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Woodson is an NBA guy and in the NBA a lot of coaches don't allow their assistants to speak to the media. 

I don't know what Woodson's rules on this were in the NBA, but I can tell you Doc Rivers (at least with the Celtics) did not let his assistants speak to the media without our PR Team getting direct approval from him first. Note, this doesn't count those local TV things where the sideline reporter asks the assistant a question at halftime. 

With that said, sounds like Woodson had some issues with Fife being so outspoken on Twitter, potentially with the media, etc. 

Sounds like he was warned and didn't stop.  

Edit: And if a head coach thinks/knows an assistant is undermining him with the media, then that assistant doesn't have a chance. It's over. 

• Like 4

Had a chance to listen to HH live space during my commute.  Johnny Jagger was on - I suggest listening.

Also mentioned Seltzer to follow Miller for a coaching position.  

There were stuff that happened and Dane did not do himself any good to stay.  

Got to trust Woodson as he knows what he needs.

Like the Adams rumor on another board.  Also, would love to see a call in to Scott May's son who is an assistant with a program on the east coast:) there is definitely a connection there.  

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would actually argue that a lot of posts (not your post that I'm responding to) in threads like this are the reason the Rabjohn's post ever happened. 

Many rushed to defend Dane while taking shots at IU and Woodson in the process. Instead of just being neutral on the issue some have forced some pretty unfortunate information about Dane to be put into the public sphere. 

EDIT: I do agree with many that are saying Rabjohn's could have probably been more tactful in how he relayed information and how specific he got. 

Rabjohns gave a tease on the radio show, and then I think had to back it up to retain credibility...that's one scenario...

Another is there was some animosity between Rabjohns and Fife somewhere along the line and it was a "get even" deal...

Any way you slice it I think the mere fact that he took the post down is at least a sliver of evidence that he regretted it in the first place...at least I'd like to believe that...

But it's impossible to put toothpaste back in the tube...it was out there, people saw it, and the damage to Dane's reputation by that post alone is a sad commentary on how information works these days...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bingo! News breaks and the knee jerk reaction from so many was this has to be Woodson's fault for petty reasons 

• because he's stubborn
  • has a big ego
  • like his old IU buds better
  • feels threatened by Fife (this one made my literally laugh out loud in the middle of a conference call)

If it was one of the other assistant coaches there would have been some chatter in the Offseason thread but certainly not 17 pages (and counting) of a dedicated thread. But because it was the one some fans perceived as the "wonder boy, heir apparent" to the throne, here we are. I loved the guy as a player and was super excited when he was hired as an assistant but the dude couldn't meet the expectations of his bosses and was let go.

P.S. I also find it head scratching that for months people have been screaming that we need to overhaul the roster but as soon as this news comes out and the first transfer is announced we start to hear "IU is doomed because assistant coaches are leaving and we have roster turnover". And we consistently poke at the UK fans for overreacting?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I was shocked and needed some time to digest the whole thing. People get hired and fired all the time, so if they didn't mesh well, Dane's gotta go. That's not really a big deal. Dane will get another job soon.

But what I didn't feel comfortable was the way CMW announced it. In general, it's a courtesy that company (or the boss) announces a separation as 'mutually consented' or 'the person's leaving for the best interest for all parties' even when people know the person was fired. But Woodson pretty much said Dane wasn't leaving on his own or by a mutual consent, but he fired Dane. If Dane was just any other coach, I would be like 'whatever', but Dane is one of our own. I get it. They didn't and couldn't get along well with each other, but CMW should've been a bigger person than that and showed a little more courtesy on Dane's way out IF CMW truly believed 'Indiana Hoosiers' was a family thing. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Dane would be making a career ending mistake if he tried to sue IU, I see this is a completely fabricated issue.

On your generic political scenario, I'll bite. It's an apples to oranges comparison - a head basketball coach is absolutely allowed and expected to have rules and expectations for his staff that have nothing to do with what a professor does. Further, from Rabjohn's post this wasn't an issue of him doing something political privately, it was trying to influence players. Additionally, many professors subject matters are inherently political and part of the job of a professor is to provide an education, where as that isn't something related to basketball at all.

Rabjohns post is going to do plenty damage to Dane's career.  If any of what was posted is untrue, it can be argued that a lawsuit may be the best option.

As far as the generic political scenario......either the University supports freedom of political expression or it doesn't.  There is little wiggle room that allows for one employee to have different rights than another.  

I'll even speculate that particular piece of Rabjohns post came across as being much more inflammatory than it really was.  Heck, a discussion on gas prices today compared to 2 years ago has political undertones.  Would Dane have been out of bounds walking into practice complaining about $4.25 a gallon gas?

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nobody is saying Dane getting let go is Rabjohns fault.  Irregardless of anything else, if Woodson and Dane had a fractured relationship, a change was required.

What Rabjohns did, however, was a complete arson job on the situation.  Those details did not need to be made public, and there is a decent chance that some of what he posted does not come across as intended.

Rabjohns post simply added an unnecessary level of chaos to the situation.

Yeah, that is my point up above.  Just seems like some people went out of their way to smear the guy.  Leaving everything else out, Dane is an Indiana guy, I don't like the narrative that was built around this...at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nobody is saying Dane getting let go is Rabjohns fault.  Irregardless of anything else, if Woodson and Dane had a fractured relationship, a change was required.

What Rabjohns did, however, was a complete arson job on the situation.  Those details did not need to be made public, and there is a decent chance that some of what he posted does not come across as intended.

Rabjohns post simply added an unnecessary level of chaos to the situation.

I have 1% of frustration with Rabjohns. 

DF shouldn't have given him the ability to post something like that. It doesn't surprise me when a member of the media does something crappy.... 

It does surprise me/make me furious/etc towards DF because he was afforded a once in a lifetime opportunity and he freaking botched it soooo bad. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Rabjohns post is going to do plenty damage to Dane's career.  If any of what was posted is untrue, it can be argued that a lawsuit may be the best option.

As far as the generic political scenario......either the University supports freedom of political expression or it doesn't.  There is little wiggle room that allows for one employee to have different rights than another.  

I'll even speculate that particular piece of Rabjohns post came across as being much more inflammatory than it really was.  Heck, a discussion on gas prices today compared to 2 years ago has political undertones.  Would Dane have been out of bounds walking into practice complaining about $4.25 a gallon gas?

Dane can certainly sue Rabjohns, but his target isn't going to be IU. And suing a journalist when you're a public figure is incredibly difficult. But by all means, dig that grave deeper if you so choose, Dane.

And you're just wrong not he political scenario and this has nothing to do with the university. Mike Woodson, Dane Fife's former boss, told him to stop doing it and he didn't. No part of Dane's role as an assistant basketball coach involved any need to discuss politics with anyone. Nothing we have seen or heard says that Mike Woodson told Dane Fife he couldn't have a bumper sticker or do whatever he wanted on his own time; it was about not doing it in the workplace. A professor inherently is going to have a different amount of leeway on that because they are teaching things that are going to have a lot of political overlap.

While we're speculating that Dane did something as innocent as complaining about gas prices and got fired for it, I'll speculate that it probably wasn't something quite that innocent. I don't really want to turn this into a Dane Fife bashing thread, but some of you are really pushing the envelope in his defense for what seems like a pretty clear and obvious decision to part ways. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This isn't Rabjohns fault. This is Dane Fife's fault. 100%

You're pre-judging the whole thing...

I don't know if what Rabjohns posted is the truth...no one except Rabjohns and Fife (with possibly a few others) do for sure...

But even if it is true, I wouldn't be the the habit of crapping on a guy's overall reputation unless the relationship was bad...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You're pre-judging the whole thing...

I don't know if what Rabjohns posted is the truth...no one except Rabjohns and Fife (with possibly a few others) do for sure...

But even if it is true, I wouldn't be the the habit of crapping on a guy's overall reputation unless the relationship was bad...

My info isn't from Rabjohns. I am not pre judging anything. 

And again... I expect members of the media to do this stuff. I agree what he did was ungodly crappy. 

• Like 1