Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Rabjohns may have stepped on his own doker here too...

I wonder how many current IU assistants are going to trust Rabjohns now?

He did a hatchet job on one...think the rest will ever confide in him or give him an inside scoop?

Rabjohns seems to have supported Coach Woodson - I would think that would put him in good graces with Coach and others who support Coach.

Assuming everything Rabjohns said came from legit information, I generally think the things he says do, then I have no problem with it at all. It's his job to report what he knows about IU basketball - that's what he did. There is a line to be drawn where things about a player's personal life don't need to come out, and a less forgiving line where things about a coach's personal life don't need to come out, but this wasn't about Fife the person, it was about Fife the coach.

• Like 2

In all honesty, I think the fanbase’s love of Fife as a player, and that he played much more recently in people’s minds and memories than Woodson, had carried over in to a disproportionate love of him as a coach. I like Fife, but never really heard too much of his exploits as a coach. The thought that he was heir apparent was part of the overall mindset as well.

To understand how toxic political discussion is, especially in a University setting where only one view is widely accepted, or “tolerated”, so to speak, all you have to do is see the reactions by fans who are now saying they are glad Fife is gone.

I agree that definite damage has to Dane’s reputation by what Rabjohns did. Seems to me his post could have been a little payback to one of IU’s supposed favorite sons, to paint him in a more negative light than was probably necessary. And to prove to someone like Dackich that he is a “real insider”, not just a “fanboy.”

I feel like there is a lot more going on here, but, I’ll keep that aspect of it to myself. This seems to have a lot of potential to be ugly, and I’m sure Dakich will fan the flames to make it worse

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nobody is saying Dane getting let go is Rabjohns fault.  Irregardless of anything else, if Woodson and Dane had a fractured relationship, a change was required.

What Rabjohns did, however, was a complete arson job on the situation.  Those details did not need to be made public, and there is a decent chance that some of what he posted does not come across as intended.

Rabjohns post simply added an unnecessary level of chaos to the situation.

It’s always ironic when something like this happens, folks demand to know why, in detail, what happened.  Then, when someone gives them the details they demanded, they turn around and bash that person and claim the details weren’t necessary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

In all honesty, I think the fanbase’s love of Fife as a player, and that he played much more recently in people’s minds and memories than Woodson, had carried over in to a disproportionate love of him as a coach. I like Fife, but never really heard too much of his exploits as a coach. The thought that he was heir apparent was part of the overall mindset as well.

To understand how toxic political discussion is, especially in a University setting where only one view is widely accepted, or “tolerated”, so to speak, all you have to do is see the reactions by fans who are now saying they are glad Fife is gone.

I agree that definite damage has to Dane’s reputation by what Rabjohns did. Seems to me his post could have been a little payback to one of IU’s supposed favorite sons, to paint him in a more negative light than was probably necessary. And to prove to someone like Dackich that he is a “real insider”, not just a “fanboy.”

I feel like there is a lot more going on here, but, I’ll keep that aspect of it to myself. This seems to have a lot of potential to be ugly, and I’m sure Dakich will fan the flames to make it worse

Hey man, after everything I've heard, I want DF gone.... and I'm more then willing to assume I align with his political opinion. 

I just cant understand that basically forcing that opinion on my players is not a good thing. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

It’s always ironic when something like this happens, folks demand to know why, in detail, what happened.  Then, when someone gives them the details they demanded, they turn around and bash that person and claim the details weren’t necessary.

Yes lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Rabjohns seems to have supported Coach Woodson - I would think that would put him in good graces with Coach and others who support Coach.

Assuming everything Rabjohns said came from legit information, I generally think the things he says do, then I have no problem with it at all. It's his job to report what he knows about IU basketball - that's what he did. There is a line to be drawn where things about a player's personal life don't need to come out, and a less forgiving line where things about a coach's personal life don't need to come out, but this wasn't about Fife the person, it was about Fife the coach.

If Rabjohns post was all true, that speaks more to overall integrity, and most certainly does speak about Fife the person. 

The rub is, none of us knows if it's true or not...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

?  Point to a post where I demanded to know why?

Just now, 5fouls said:

He is referencing the entire board/Twitter. I believe he is correct, as well. 

It made sense to quote your post. If everyone would wait for facts before they passed judgment... maybe Rabjohns wouldn't have made that post. But, as a fanbase we can't ask to know everything and then get mad about details too. 

I would prefer to just never know, honestly. 

• Like 3

Just now, btownqb said:

Hey man, after everything I've heard, I want DF gone.... and I'm more then willing to assume I align with his political opinion. 

I just can understand that basically forcing that opinion on my players is not a good thing. 

Absolutely. I totally agree! Just that… I think that bringing the political piece into the conversation changes people’s opinions so much about Fife- from heir apparent to “I’m glad he’s gone.” ( not meaning you) 

Fife did not mesh with CMW, and probably needed to go. Just seems like there was some extra hot sauce thrown on it, from the way it was handled down to Rabjohns “spilling the beans” post.

I think it is safe to assume that the chip on Dane’s shoulder we all loved as a player may have remained there as an adult and coach, and that maybe he was a bit argumentative?

I’ll add another thought, it will be much harder for the “insiders”, “fanboys” , blogs, etc. to get real concrete info moving forward. 

• Like 6

Its not fun coming here anymore.  These are no longer discussion threads.  Unless you agree with about 5-7 posters on here, you're an idiot and get brow beat until you stop posting.

I feel like i am reading political posts where people can no longer have reasonable discussions.  The my guy is right and can do no wrong and i will beat that into you with every post is getting old. -

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not referring specifically to you.  A ton of people in many different places demanded to know why, and those who aren’t privy to the alleged reasons are still demanding it.

• Like 1

Sometimes things don’t work out with coaches and players. Look at the turnstile of coaches and players during Knight’s time. It’s not always an indicator of dysfunction per se, but a my way or the highway type of situation. Not saying it’s a good thing Fife is gone, I’m really disappointed it didn’t work out, but it’s not a unique situation. I suppose the one caveat being an assumption he was the heir apparent. But that obviously is and was not the case.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1