Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I honestly think it has been a fair discussion, the very type of discussion that keeps the board interesting.

In fact, the discussion had helped me form a position I would never have had otherwise.

My first impression when the news leaked was that Woodson wanted 'yes' men on staff.

Then, word leaked about some insubordination on Fife's part and I began to believe the move was the right one.

I still believe that the move was justified, but I dont agree with Rabjohns approach with making that stuff public, especially in the sensationalized way he did it.

Others see nothing wrong with what Rabjohnd did and that's okay.  It's their opinion.  

Bottom line is, if I didn't visit this board, I would be leaning towards putting most of the blame on Woodson, which would have been misguided based on what I know now.

I'm perfectly comfortable when people disagree with me.  I have a wife and two teenagers that push back on everything I say and do.  This place is gravy compared to what I face every day with them.

ok 👍

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

46 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Absolutely. I totally agree! Just that… I think that bringing the political piece into the conversation changes people’s opinions so much about Fife- from heir apparent to “I’m glad he’s gone.” ( not meaning you) 

Fife did not mesh with CMW, and probably needed to go. Just seems like there was some extra hot sauce thrown on it, from the way it was handled down to Rabjohns “spilling the beans” post.

I think it is safe to assume that the chip on Dane’s shoulder we all loved as a player may have remained there as an adult and coach, and that maybe he was a bit argumentative?

I’ll add another thought, it will be much harder for the “insiders”, “fanboys” , blogs, etc. to get real concrete info moving forward. 

I think the bottom line is that Woodson & Fife didn't mesh, regardless of who's more "at fault" - and the boss always wins in these cases.

As to the Rabjohns post, while it was unnecessary (and probably why he deleted it) - it suggests some really concerning behavior.  Again, even if Rabjohns was reporting Woodson's side - it's an untenable situation.

Personally, I'm a person who can carry a grudge (for a long time).  It's why I wasn't really excited about the idea of Fife being hired or heir apparent - because of how he demanded the hiring of Mike Davis.  Right or wrong that had always bugged me, but I've tried to suppress that seeing as how Dane was a kid when all that occurred.  I liked him as a player, but never considered him in the category of "legend".

All said, I hope the IU staff ends up stronger and more cohesive.  I hope Dane Fife continues on in his career and finds the job and success he strives for.

TL:DR- Woodson & Fife weren't on the same page.  A change was necessary.  

• Like 5

I've mentioned before working with Fife's MIL for 5 years and she knew nothing and said nothing and said they were tight lipped on purpose.  You would think working like that for a decade with Izzo would bleed over.  Take this for what its worth.  Fife's SIL says there were disagreements about who was getting the playing time and who wasn't.  I'm sure that happens all the time and is nothing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MSU sure dodged one here. Fife was just a ticking time bomb

image.png.9c3d34b47893911b438066c1df2988cc.png

image.png.74941b92ef4e23982c4c56b44df08b25.png

What are you even trying to say? This is a very confusing post.

What I will say though, since you brought MSU into this, is that whatever that school judges as right and wrong is probably the opposite of what I want out of IU. That is an absolute trash institution. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

?  Point to a post where I demanded to know why?

We have how long of a thread talking about an assistant coach from a team that was a 12 seed getting fired? How many posts in this thread, prior to Rabby posting that, were saying how awful Woodson and IU were for this? 

If you were flaming IU and Woodson for letting Fife go, and are now upset with Rabjohns.... look in the mirror. You're the reason that kind of thing got out. 

To clarify, not saying that was you @5fouls, just responding to your post on the matter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What are you even trying to say? This is a very confusing post.

What I will say though, since you brought MSU into this, is that whatever that school judges as right and wrong is probably the opposite of what I want out of IU. That is an absolute trash institution. 

It was sarcasm 

8 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I would expand on that, if I may. This is one of the few places I go where I feel that there is some rational discussion for the most part. I think that we are all kinda skirting around our true political views when the issue that there are apparently political views being brought into Fife’s dismissal, shows our respect for the integrity of what is by far the most peaceful and tactful message board out there. I think  we have all seemed to grasp the idea that excessive political discussion at work is the wrong idea, and can get you canned, without having to debate the actual ideas or discuss the actual political climate at the moment. Shows maturity and a class, and after all, there are plenty of other places out there in which we can do so. As someone who has been in organized religion for over 25 years, trust me, there are plenty of forums to go to. So, without asking everyone if they are Calvinist or Arminian, Catholic or Baptist, etc, I can just come to a safe place where we are all IU fans… 

unless I am IU hater, or pile on XJ constantly, I feel pretty safe expressing IU related opinions. ;)

Agree on the politics subject.  It's just something you don't go "there".  My politics may be "extreme" to some, but it doesn't serve any purpose to express them here or in business.  Heck, there are subjects that nobody would take issue with 5 or 10 years ago that may set off a firestorm today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I honestly think it has been a fair discussion, the very type of discussion that keeps the board interesting.

In fact, the discussion had helped me form a position I would never have had otherwise.

My first impression when the news leaked was that Woodson wanted 'yes' men on staff.

Then, word leaked about some insubordination on Fife's part and I began to believe the move was the right one.

I still believe that the move was justified, but I dont agree with Rabjohns approach with making that stuff public, especially in the sensationalized way he did it.

Others see nothing wrong with what Rabjohnd did and that's okay.  It's their opinion.  

Bottom line is, if I didn't visit this board, I would be leaning towards putting most of the blame on Woodson, which would have been misguided based on what I know now.

I'm perfectly comfortable when people disagree with me.  I have a wife and two teenagers that push back on everything I say and do.  This place is gravy compared to what I face every day with them.

I’m going to venture to say he’s not just talking about this thread. I don’t disagree that there are a few on here that always talk in absolutes, think they are always right, and then get away with talking down to others regularly. But I just ignore, laugh at them…. I understand some have a desire or need to be the center of attention. 

Probably would have been better if they had just stuck to saying that Dane wasn't hitting CMW's standards for the job, and left the other stuff out, as it sounds like that was just the icing on the cake. The first half of Rab's message said that, and sticking to that likely would have been best for everyone. Unfortunately, once you post something on the internet, it's pretty much permanent, whether you delete it or not.

In the end, I don't know that I care that much. Big fan of Dane the player, know little to nothing about Dane the coach or really anything else about him. I'm more interested in who the replacement is, and whether they can do the job and get this program back to where it should be. If it's not a good fit, better to make the move now than a year or two or three down the road when it's been festering for some time.

As for the length of this thread, we have a very dedicated fan base, it's the offseason, and it's something to talk about. *shrug*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little OT, but some have alluded to friction and contention on message boards.  IMO, this & BTB are about as civil as they come.  

Anybody else remember the Indy Star message boards from the early 2000's? Hokey Smoke! You had had IU & PU boards on the same site!  The Colts board became trash when overrun with Patriots trolls.  LOL. (if you want to see a no holds barred message board, check out patriotsplanet.com).  Of course never anything as nasty as that dumb IU site that used "ClaireBee" as the password...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We have how long of a thread talking about an assistant coach from a team that was a 12 seed getting fired? How many posts in this thread, prior to Rabby posting that, were saying how awful Woodson and IU were for this? 

If you were flaming IU and Woodson for letting Fife go, and are now upset with Rabjohns.... look in the mirror. You're the reason that kind of thing got out. 

To clarify, not saying that was you @5fouls, just responding to your post on the matter. 

I agree that we all would want to know but I think the key objection is it could have been explained so we understand but without that indelicate aspect.  It could have been explained that the match wasn’t good, that philosophically they were oil and water when it comes to basketball and recruiting, and they basically had irreconcilable differences.  It’s neither person’s fault but it was a match that didn’t make sense.  

Honestly, it feels like Dolson or J.D. or somebody of that ilk knew that Fife is very popular and respected by the fan base, so let’s get a very strong story out to shape the public on this.  Rabjohns just started flogging him and didn’t let up.

Let’s all remember, this board was very keen on the new coach being somebody like Chris Beard, Nate Oats, or Eric Musselman.  The initial reaction to Woodson wasn’t positive.  But a monster selling point was that Dane Fife and Thad Matta were coming.  We could all look at those threads again, but we universally thought that was huge.  Now that Fife didn’t work out, there are naturally going to be disappointed people and tossing Fife under the bus doesn’t help anything.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

A little OT, but some have alluded to friction and contention on message boards.  IMO, this & BTB are about as civil as they come.  

Anybody else remember the Indy Star message boards from the early 2000's? Hokey Smoke! You had had IU & PU boards on the same site!  The Colts board became trash when overrun with Patriots trolls.  LOL. (if you want to see a no holds barred message board, check out patriotsplanet.com).  Of course never anything as nasty as that dumb IU site that used "ClaireBee" as the password...

Remember it well...

Part of the reason I had to have an adjustment period when I came here 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that we all would want to know but I think the key objection is it could have been explained so we understand but without that salacious aspect.  It could have been explained that the match wasn’t good, that philosophically they were oil and water when it comes to basketball and recruiting, and they basically had irreconcilable differences.  It’s neither person’s fault but it was a match that didn’t make sense.  

Honestly, it feels like Dolson or J.D. or somebody of that ilk knew that Fife is very popular and respected by the fan base, so let’s get a very strong story out to shape the public on this.  Rabjohns just started flogging him and didn’t let up.

Let’s all remember, this board was very keen on the new coach being somebody like Chris Beard, Nate Oats, or Eric Musselman.  The initial reaction to Woodson wasn’t positive.  But a monster selling point was that Dane Fife and Thad Matta were coming.  We could all look at those threads again, but we universally thought that was huge.  Now that Fife didn’t work out, there are naturally going to be disappointed people and tossing Fife under the bus doesn’t help anything.  

ding ding ding, we have a winner!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The single greatest sentence ever posted on HSN.  :coffee:

Yep usually when someone is quoting you they are asking you how many ex wives you have now 😂😂😂😂😂 and you take it like a true champ. I laugh at your stuff all of the time. You’re one of the people who I’ve come to appreciate and respect and we’ve never even talked in PM. Thanks for being on this board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that we all would want to know but I think the key objection is it could have been explained so we understand but without that salacious aspect.  It could have been explained that the match wasn’t good, that philosophically they were oil and water when it comes to basketball and recruiting, and they basically had irreconcilable differences.  It’s neither person’s fault but it was a match that didn’t make sense.  

I hear you and have no idea if Rabby acted of his own volition or was prompted to say something.

But I would also say that things like, "the match wasn't good", "philosophical differences", etc. was implied by the fact that he got fired. And the response was that Woody was an idiot and looking for 'yes men' from many people.

I don't think Rabjohns needs defending from anyone and I think he probably could have phrased his post better than he did, I think it was a response to the initial reaction from many. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We need to separate Rabjohn's from the university and the staff though. What Rabjohn's said is what he said, that is not what Woodson, Dolson or the University said. 

Just going on my experience, but I would be incredibly surprised if Woodson or Dolson had some conspiracy to leak all of this salacious stuff to a reporter. 

I really just don't think that happens as much as fans think. I also don't think there is anything that indicates that is Mike Woodson's style. 

• Like 7

Just now, BGleas said:

We need to separate Rabjohn's from the university and the staff though. What Rabjohn's said is what he said, that is not what Woodson, Dolson or the University said. 

Just going on my experience, but I would be incredibly surprised if Woodson or Dolson had some conspiracy to leak all of this salacious stuff to a reporter. 

I really just don't think that happens as much as fans think. I also don't think there is anything that indicates that is Mike Woodson's style. 

If anything, doesn't it seem like that is the opposite of his style and one of the reasons Fife wasn't a good fit?