Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Are you sure about the dunking thing?  I distinctly remember him saying that he liked dunks because they were the highest percentage shots in basketball.  😀

I’m sure…..In his early IU years he wasn’t a fan because it appeared too flashy and show offy’….🤓

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Dan seems a tad obsessed about this.

Yeah, lets trash kids says the former IU player known for college buffoonery. This tit for tat stuff is the world we live in these days. If someone says something you don't like, let's come back with something they wouldn't like. The mentality of some of these dudes is about 4th grade level.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, part of it was playing fundamental basketball at all times - just as a behind the back pass increases the odds for failure vs. a standard pass, a 360 dunk is more likely to fail than a more basic one. I don't think he was much of a fan of either one, because it increased the odds for failure, and he also likely saw it as somewhat disrespectful to the opponent. Then again, this is RMK we're talking about, so who knows for sure?

Knight new and demanded the importance of each and ever basket/ possession. Just think of how many games over the last 2-3 years, we have lost because of 2-3 empty possessions. Missed Bunnies, hell this year alone there may have been a dozen missed dunks because we windmilled them. Spread 24 points out over this last year, how many more W's would we have?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Dane Fife is loved, especially by the people who were at IU during his playing years, because he is and was so accessible. Everybody has a Dane Fife story because he was a man of the people. He was out at Nicks every weekend didn’t act like he was too cool to talk to anybody. 

He’s also hilarious in interviews and has a dry and witty personality. 

I get that some people feel like they have a connection to him. 

That said, the higher ups at IU know this. They knew there was going to be blowback. Put the Rabby post aside and looking at this rationally….true observations:

1. Fife has not gotten any recruits and I have not seen his name tied to any recruits we’re close to. 

2. He had very little interaction with he other coaches or players on the bench. 

3. The thing we love about Dane, his accessibility and bluntness, seems to have gotten him in trouble. (NIL posts)

This was going to be damaging to Dane’s reputation, regardless. Rumors have been flying for weeks. He got fired from his alma mater after one season. Yes, I do think Rabby overstepped, but this wouldn’t have been covered up from future employers whether Rabby made that post or not. It was already out there. 

I was thinking about his comedic nature in regards to his coach in waiting and Woodson is old stuff from the Rabby post. I can easily see him talking to others and saying that in a joking way and it getting back to Woodson lacking context. 

50 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yeah, lets trash kids says the former IU player known for college buffoonery. This tit for tat stuff is the world we live in these days. If someone says something you don't like, let's come back with something they wouldn't like. The mentality of some of these dudes is about 4th grade level.

I agree but I listened to his show and he was making a slightly different point.  He is arguing that Peegs is subservient to Woodson and IU.  They will print what they like and will brush aside what they don't like.  They won't run an expose on the Northwestern issue because the program does not want it to, but they will put out a hatchet piece against Fife because they do.

For better or worse, that's what Dakich is talking about, at least today.  He is fully capable of contradicting himself tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree but I listened to his show and he was making a slightly different point.  He is arguing that Peegs is subservient to Woodson and IU.  They will print what they like and will brush aside what they don't like.  They won't run an expose on the Northwestern issue because the program does not want it to, but they will put out a hatchet piece against Fife because they do.

For better or worse, that's what Dakich is talking about, at least today.  He is fully capable of contradicting himself tomorrow.

I don't see anyway shape or form that those two situations are comparable in regards to what Peegs reported. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't see anyway shape or form that those two situations are comparable in regards to what Peegs reported. 

theyre comparable by their degree of detail. Multiple players got suspended in an instant and we lost a game over it. That is objectively a larger story than an assistant coach leaving as it has immediate and real ramifications on an active season. Yet we got very little details about anything to do with that except "wasnt drug related" which could be inferred by the fact that they were still on the bench anyway, and now with Fife leaving we're getting all sorts of supposed details about what went on behind the scenes.

It's a terrible choice by Peegs, and I think Dan has a point that they do tow the line the administration asks of them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

theyre comparable by their degree of detail. Multiple players got suspended in an instant and we lost a game over it. That is objectively a larger story than an assistant coach leaving as it has immediate and real ramifications on an active season. Yet we got very little details about anything to do with that except "wasnt drug related" which could be inferred by the fact that they were still on the bench anyway, and now with Fife leaving we're getting all sorts of supposed details about what went on behind the scenes.

It's a terrible choice by Peegs, and I think Dan has a point that they do tow the line the administration asks of them.

As I said, I don't see them comparable at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

They know where their bread is buttered and will "report" what IU wants them to.  Plain and simple

• Like 7

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

You are smarter than this. He isn’t doing that because Indiana told him not to.  That simple. If they didn’t want them to write something they wouldn’t.  If they did, they would. 

Ok. 

So, we are upset that a website didn't hang 19-23 yr olds out to dry, but we hung our fired Asst coach out? 

I'm not actually trying to imply anything there. I just don't know how else to ask it. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Ok. 

So, we are upset that a website didn't hang 19-23 yr olds out to dry, but we hung our fired Asst coach out? 

I'm not actually trying to imply anything there. I just don't know how else to ask it. 

Be consistent. IU didn’t want bad press so they didn’t. IU thought this was the best way to handle Fife and Woodson arguing about a plethora of issues. It backfired on them. There is a way to handle this and IU and Woodson choose the piss poor way of handling it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Be consistent. IU didn’t want bad press so they didn’t. IU thought this was the best way to handle Fife and Woodson arguing about a plethora of issues. It backfired on them. There is a way to handle this and IU and Woodson choose the piss poor way of handling it. 

Oh.. no, I don't see it like that. I don't really see what backfired.. we fired an asst. 

What was handled piss poorly again? ... that Woodson did. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Well, one is about kids on the team, one is about a guy who is no longer on the team. I don't agree with ripping Fife, but what DD is saying is, you can't have it both ways and I just don't agree. I don't think you should be doing "exposes" about kids getting in trouble on the team. DD is also just way too involved in all things IU and it's always negative. So, yes I think what Rabby did was lame, but to act like it's all a conspiracy to tarnish Fife and make IU look good, is purely gossip. Any and all beat writers are semi subservient to the teams they cover. If they can't get close to players and coaches they have no job. It's easy for DD to say this since his entire job is ripping people and the only time people pay attention is when it's IU. So his criticism is pretty ironic. Someone should just ask Rabby, why spill the beans? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. 

Because he  could have easily said there  was just cause for Fife To be let go without running a guy through the mud. Once again another example of IU eating its own and creating more drama than needed. Woodson could have said irreconcilable differences. With that answer we would have to potentially own some of the fault. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh.. no, I don't see it like that. I don't really see what backfired.. we fired an asst. 

What was handled piss poorly again? ... that Woodson did. 

Really? Really? I would sue his but and IUs butt. They gave a ton of information some over done and some crazy talk to the biggest forum of Indiana sports. That violates so much in employment law I don’t even know where to begin.  There is a way better way of doing this than having all the dirty laundry out because it is all not rosy for IU either. Thank JD Campbell for another smear campaign which he did for Crean a lot. Woodson most likely isn’t that far away from it.  

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Haha 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Because he  could have easily said there  was just cause for Fife To be let go without running a guy through the mud. Once again another example of IU eating its own and creating more drama than needed. Woodson could have said irreconcilable differences. With that answer we would have to potentially own some of the fault. 

So we're upset about the wording of a press release of a fired asst coach? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My reaction on the university basically saying Fife was fired is that they probably asked him to resign nicely but he refused to quit.  Or that the situation deteriorated so badly that Woodson just decided he had to release a statement making it clear he supported the people who were pissed off by him, be it players, other coaches, or the athletic department.  

I find it funny that some people feel the university is supposed explain their decision, but do so in a way that doesn't make Fife look bad.

• Like 3

Just now, IU_Realist said:

Really? Really? I would sue his ass and IUs ass. They gave a shit ton of information some over done and some crazy talk to the biggest forum of Indiana sports. That violates so much shit in employment law I don’t even no where to begin. 

Dane is suing IU because hes an a**?

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So we're upset about the wording of a press release of a fired asst coach? 

the assistant coach is an all time hoosier and was brought in less a year ago. I am upset that we are making this guy out to be some jackass who never fit here and dragging his name on the way out. It is completely against this idea that we're bridging the past. Going the extra step to clarify he was fired is just irresponsible because of how it looks externally.

Edited by Bushmage
  • Like 5