Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Things would change on #2 if not correct, but not #1.  Rabjohns was a hatchet man and nothing is going to change my opinion on that.

Completely agree with your last statement.

I mostly agree with your #1. I would prefer not to discuss that any more if you're good with that, though. Just been rehashed a lot. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

I mostly agree with your #1. I would prefer not to discuss that any more if you're good with that. 

Yes, if you allow me to make one last point.

Rabjohns and sites like Peegs (or this one) but mostly those paid sites can be a blessing and a curse. 

When things are going well in the program, the inside scoop is great.  Leal saved a coed's cat out of a tree?  Freaking awesome.  TJD and Race are reading books to Kindergartners at the local elementary school?  Rock on.  XJ was seen in a verbal altercation with a guy calling himself Coach Shep at Kilroy's?  Not the best look but I like the kid's fire.

When things are going bad...ugh. Everything gets dissected and the worst is just assumed (guilty). We have had so many ugh off seasons it just sucks.  Blame Dane, blame Woody, blame Scott, blame Rabby, whatever...it just sucks to have this happen again.  We have some positive momentum in the program that was overshadowing some of the questions.  It just sucks to be here...again.

I hope we don't hire another IU guy as the next assistant.  I think things should be better established before we go that route again.

• Like 2

If there is one thing I have learned about IU basketball over the last 30 years it is to be prepared for anything no matter how mind boggling it might be.  This most recent "event" is peanuts compared to some of the things that have transpired in the past.  Time to move on and hope and pray that our beloved Hoosiers prevail on the court.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My goal is to have this be my last post in this thread for a bit - it was a heated conversation and I said some things that I know pissed people off. The largely wasn't my intent, I think we all want the same things. You're good people.

Now as for tonight... we are all Catholic, go St. Peter's, piss on the damn Boilers! 

• Like 3

First of all I have loved sitting back and letting others get bashed on here.  I am do use to that being me that causes these arguments.

I wonder how as a society we have come to a place where everyone is so mean to each other. Between message boards and sports radio it is all about putting others down to make yourself look right.  I think it goes back to have a take and don't suck mentality.  It also is all of these shows on that is just putting people on different beidrs of a topic and argue instead of having a discussion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

-offering MC when he wasnt suppose to

-not calling back IN HS coaches 

-conversation with Kyle Flips parents at dinner that he nor any other HS kid needed NIL and the scholarship was enough

-completely disregard for office etiquette-- blatantly being rude, abravsive

-not landing promised recruits

-constant conversations with players about politics to the point it was annoying the players 

-leaking plenty of info at different times in his time here 

-drunk tweets about MSUs student section

-tweets about NIL after a huge IU meeting and the direction they were going in. He was told to take those down..

It is unfortunate Dane put Woodson in the position he did. There wasn't really another option though. 

Btown and KOB know I respect the HELL out of them.  We are talking about smart and knowledgeable guys.   We have been on boards together for probably ten years or more.  A freaking decade.  Hopefully more decades to come.   The same goes for all other members.  Smart people here.  I will align with person A on one topic and then person B on another.  It's all good.

Overall, I would say this might be a funny topic to re-read in about three years.  Pretty good arguments if you take the emotion out of it (me as much as anyone).  To me, basketball and football are emotional sports and it's part of the draw for me.  You throw in firing an IU guy, and it's explosive.  We get through it like we always do.  This is a quality board and that's why.

I know there is a side that doesn't agree with me, but let me say a few more words.  I wrote a long post about hearing about Dane since he was in 8th grade.  I love how committed and passionate he is about IU.  While Tommy Coverdale and Jared were my favorite players on those teams, I am biased towards Dane too for intangibles.  So, that may be why I lost it here.  But, everyone here, if you are attached to a particular player in an emotional context, you know this is what can happen.

Anyway, I 100% believe Btown's source told him those things.  I am sure all of those points have some validity.  I am not impugning anyone's credibility, but all i am saying is I would like to hear Fife's story on some of these things. 

• Take what he said to Flipowski.  How exactly did he say it?  In my experience, rumors start with a kernel of truth and then get exaggerated.  What if he said "I think IU is such an awesome experience, you don't even need the NIL to benefit here.  I don't focus on the NIL as a coach, but we do have NIL people who have big plans for it.  My role is to focus you on being the best basketball player you can be and to mentor you...."  I think the portrayal by Rabby makes Dane look stupid and I simply don't buy that he is. 
  • With making the offer, maybe he had a misunderstanding.  Perhaps he was used to doing that with Izzo and didn't realize Woody would have a stroke over it.  I just don't believe Dane had mal-intent.  You can say I am speculating.  Yes, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I am not also prepared to accept every rumor as couched.  I suspect there is nuance that has been lost.

No hard feelings with anyone.  We don't agree on this.  It's ok.  I am just trying to explain why I am reacting the way I am.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First of all I have loved sitting back and letting others get bashed on here.  I am do use to that being me that causes these arguments.

I wonder how as a society we have come to a place where everyone is so mean to each other. Between message boards and sports radio it is all about putting others down to make yourself look right.  I think it goes back to have a take and don't suck mentality.  It also is all of these shows on that is just putting people on different beidrs of a topic and argue instead of having a discussion.

I flipping love you, Scott. 

And yes, I believe society is struggling a bit. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I flipping love you, Scott. 

And yes, I believe society is struggling a bit. 

Everybody loves Scott.  You know what you get there.  He grows on you.  I defy anyone to challenge Scott's passion for IU.

Scott is less emotional than I get as a poster.  Seriously, that's a skill.  He argues but he doesn't go nuts (for the most part, no one is perfect).

He is tries to be consistent. He doesn't say 1983 is great one day and then trash it the next.  He is not going to wake up one day and tell us how awesome it is that Maryland and Rutgers are in the conference. LOL

• Like 3

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Everybody loves Scott.  You know what you get there.  He grows on you.  I defy anyone to challenge Scott's passion for IU.

Scott is less emotional than I get as a poster.  Seriously, that's a skill.  He argues but he doesn't go nuts (for the most part, no one is perfect).

He is tries to be consistent. He doesn't say 1983 is great one day and then trash it the next.  He is not going to wake up one day and tell us how awesome it is that Maryland and Rutgers are in the conference. LOL

He doesn't bother me at all. Wait until we get him embedding tweets! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You suck.

Didn't want you to feel left out.  😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have said this to you before.  But the way you carry yourself, I can tell you are a very good person.  That stands out to me.

Everyone probably thinks I went to happy hour early today.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, madmax said:

Anyone care to give me the TLDR of the last 20 pages or so?

One side is defending Woodson and one side is defending Fife. Me personally I put all the crap on Rabjohns, if he wouldn't have been a turd with his hit piece, and let us be clear here it was a hit piece or he wouldn't have deleted it, this would have just been seen as two coaches who didn't click and parted ways.

Best of luck to Coach Fife wherever he lands.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

One side is defending Woodson and one side is defending Fife. Me personally I put all the crap on Rabjohns, if he wouldn't have been a turd with his hit piece and let us be clear here it was a hit piece or he wouldn't have deleted it, this would have just been seen as two coaches who didn't click and parted ways.

Exactly where I come down on all of this. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sharp75 said:

That's an interesting question and all those things about Dane might be true though I'm skeptical  I would put more stock in Dane's history as an assistant coach. Some of those assertions seem so ridiculous I just can't imagine him doing it.

The problem with that is (1) there were numerous examples of alleged problematic behavior, (2) there are numerous different sources saying a lot of the same things and (3) At a minimum, the Twitter rants were observed by many different witnesses before being removed and are evidence of less than perfect judgment on Dane's part.

Dane is human and makes mistakes.  I really loved the idea of him being on staff and am sad that it didn't work out, but while I think Woody likely also made some mistakes in his first year, I believed that he tried.  I read different reports about Dane and Woody having breakfast together so we can be confident they talked.  I doubt any one thing broke the relationship, but more likely, several events cascaded to the point that Woody realized the fit was wasn't good.

We can argue that the firing could have been handled better, but it's probably unfair to defend Dane's imperfect behavior while expecting his termination to be handled with perfection in real time.  I hope both Dane & Woody learned from this experience and I hope both see better days ahead as a result.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

One side is defending Woodson and one side is defending Fife. Me personally I put all the crap on Rabjohns, if he wouldn't have been a turd with his hit piece and let us be clear here it was a hit piece or he wouldn't have deleted it, this would have just been seen as two coaches who didn't click and parted ways.

That is probably about as fair a take as any.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have said this to you before.  But the way you carry yourself, I can tell you are a very good person.  That stands out to me.

Everyone probably thinks I went to happy hour early today.

Thank you, I try to be but I can let my emotions get the best of me when it comes to IU sports

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sharp75 said:

That's an interesting question and all those things about Dane might be true though I'm skeptical  I would put more stock in Dane's history as an assistant coach. Some of those assertions seem so ridiculous I just can't imagine him doing it.

I don't know one way or another on this stuff, but what I do know is that it wouldn't be unreasonable to think MSU would look the other way on bad behavior.

• Like 1

I've been calling out the "experts" for years now. It started with the recruiting gurus who sell their insights for a price and then one minute before a decision is made they switch predictions. Never explaining why they were wrong on their predictions for weeks or months prior and suddenly gaining this new information. Complete frauds. FYI - you can get the same information within second of a recruits decision without paying a dime. 

That includes the alleged insiders who want you to pay for their content regarding team news. Most of what they write these days appears to be stolen from message boards and rewritten, in my opinion. I read some great input from the fans on here and other sites but then the same thoughts show up from an expert and is written in a way that suggests they got it from a source close to the team. Don't believe it.

Sure, if they have been doing this for some time they likely have some contacts. But if you step back and really read or listen to what they say, it's a con game. They hedge everything. They make comments in such a way as to imply something but never really saying anything. They refer to sources but you never hear the name of the source and maybe you shouldn't, but it seems very convenient for the experts. When they are wrong.... crickets. 

Specifically, one such fraud this week tossed out a lot of accusations about Dane Fife in a weak and shameful attempt to get some attention. Alleged conversations and insights but nothing concrete. I suppose if you are going to throw someone under the buss to get attention you want to make sure you do not cut off your relationships with the wrong people. Fife is gone so he became an easy target. If you want to continue to suck up to the head coach and those who remain in the program in order to continue your fraud 'career' it is an easy way to make a headline to two. It doesn't make them a legit writer/journalist or an expert in anything. And if you pay for their services, you may be too naive to figure any of this out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

A couple of fringe observations I've made during this ...event.

• I was worried when we hired Woodson that if things didn't go well, we'd never be able to fire him because he was "family".  I'm not worried about that any more.
  • CMW suspended players before a critical, must win, game and almost cost us a chance at the NCAA tournament.  Then he fired an assistant/former player.  That says to me he is serious about this, and you are either all in or on the outside.  It's almost like he's running his program like it's a military, and he's the leader....a general, if you will.
  • Some are upset that CMW made it clear in his statement, that it was his decision.  I 100% respect him for owning what he undoubtedly knew was going to be a difficult decision.  It leaves no room for doubt as to who is in charge.  I used to work for a company that always put out a generic "left to pursuit other opportunities" statement whenever someone was let go.  Everybody knew it was BS, to the point we used to joke with one and other that "we have no other opportunities, nor are we seeking any"
  • Most of our fanbase has been clamoring for a long time for someone to put IU back in it's rightful place and restore order.  It's going to take a firm hand to do that, and some feelings are likely going to be hurt along the way.

Don’t know if the stuff being said about Fife is true or not. 

we have a coach that is going to do it is way and wants everybody on the same page. That is what we have been missing for years. Get on board or get out. If Woodson and Fife didn’t get along then make a change. Not one player has came out said the accusations against Fife were false or came out in support. Not even the guys leaving. That is very telling to me. I wish Fife  the best  and will always be a fan of him. Sorry it didn’t work out here. 
Woodson is at a minimum a strong leader. I like that. Don’t agree with everything he has done or will do but he has been firm and deceive. That I respect and that is what we need now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yes, if you allow me to make one last point.

Rabjohns and sites like Peegs (or this one) but mostly those paid sites can be a blessing and a curse. 

When things are going well in the program, the inside scoop is great.  Leal saved a coed's cat out of a tree?  Freaking awesome.  TJD and Race are reading books to Kindergartners at the local elementary school?  Rock on.  XJ was seen in a verbal altercation with a guy calling himself Coach Shep at Kilroy's?  Not the best look but I like the kid's fire.

When things are going bad...ugh. Everything gets dissected and the worst is just assumed (guilty). We have had so many ugh off seasons it just sucks.  Blame Dane, blame Woody, blame Scott, blame Rabby, whatever...it just sucks to have this happen again.  We have some positive momentum in the program that was overshadowing some of the questions.  It just sucks to be here...again.

I hope we don't hire another IU guy as the next assistant.  I think things should be better established before we go that route again.

You like XJ’s attitude? His ‘attitude’ is not a champion one. He can leave 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3