Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think i agree.  i know many think JG can't play the 3 and that Race/TJD and him are a tough combo.  may be true.  a lot of talent in those 5 though.  enough shooting?  enough ballhandling?  not sure.  

Too me, defense is not there yet.  I use yet, because kid can grow.  He gots lost and feet tangled with dribble drives, back door cuts, Princeton type of cuts, etc.  

Might need a chance, might need to improve.  Got to think coaches would of tried him at the 3 the past few years if he can guard it at the present time.  

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Too me, defense is not there yet.  I use yet, because kid can grow.  He gots lost and feet tangled with dribble drives, back door cuts, Princeton type of cuts, etc.  

Might need a chance, might need to improve.  Got to think coaches would of tried him at the 3 the past few years if he can guard it at the present time.  

i think he could keep improving quickly.  will be interesting with Bates too.  seems like he has the ability to be a power 5 starter very soon.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i think he could keep improving quickly.  will be interesting with Bates too.  seems like he has the ability to be a power 5 starter very soon.  

Bates has that swagger and shows flashes of skill.  It would be awesome if IU have guys like him, the new kids coming in, JG and X running th fast break.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No he isn't, love how our fans talk about our players. He just wasn't out in a good position to succeed. 

Leal is better in my opinion and so is Bates. Have you watched the sweet 16? Kopp doesn’t belong on a BIG ten court or in a sweet 16 game. Probably a great kid and student but I will never understand why he played the amount that he did this year… love the nucleus of Galloway, Bates, Xavior, Leal, Geronimo, JHS, and hopefully TJD. 
I have confidence if Kopp were to leave we could find a much better player in portal 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Bates has that swagger and shows flashes of skill.  It would be awesome if IU have guys like him, the new kids coming in, JG and X running th fast break.  

No question.  He has the body type and skill set to be very, very good.  Good length for a two-guard.  From the outside, I think he’s receptive to coaching.  Woody was trying to get through to him, in a great way.  Hard coaching.  He would curtail his playing time, and instead of pouting, Bates tried to step up.   I think that’s a very good sign. 

He has to get much stronger physically and with his handle.   He’s not able to go off the bounce in traffic and with power to go get a bucket.  His defense was weak.  He has a scorer’s mentality, which is a plus, but he takes it too far. There are times he makes up his mind he’s going to shoot, and then he takes a bad shot.   That’s one of the worst sins in basketball.   I think he’s going to overcome most of this.  

We have got some guys who have monster summers ahead of them.  Galloway is another with that jump shot.  He can shoot against air but he’s got to get a rhythm going with that shot against a defender with game speed and pressure.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No question.  He has the body type and skill set to be very, very good.  Good length for a two-guard.  From the outside, I think he’s receptive to coaching.  Woody was trying to get through to him, in a great way.  Hard coaching.  He would curtail his playing time, and instead of pouting, Bates tried to step up.   I think that’s a very good sign. 

He has to get much stronger physically and with his handle.   He’s not able to go off the bounce in traffic and with power to go get a bucket.  His defense was weak.  He has a scorer’s mentality, which is a plus, but he takes it too far. There are times he makes up his mind he’s going to shoot, and then he takes a bad shot.   That’s one of the worst sins in basketball.   I think he’s going to overcome most of this.  

We have got some guys who have monster summers ahead of them.  Galloway is another with that jump shot.  He can shoot against air but he’s got to get a rhythm going with that shot against a defender with game speed and pressure.  

Agree...

Plus, I think the mid-range game is making a comeback...Villanova, Houston, have been really good at it. Hell, St Peter's killed Purdue with it. It was a staple of Johnny Davis's game. Geo Baker would flat kill you with it when he was on...

I thought the limitation to both Kopp and Stewart was little ability to drive, stop, and nail a 15 footer...

Tamar has a decent mid-range game from what I've seen, and JHS is good at it. Lost art making a comeback, and I hope we profit from it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I like this so thought I would share. Thanks @The Daily Hoosier

Thanks for sharing. From the article the author says about Fife's firing that "the real story is a bit more basketball related than what is out there.  But the damage was done.  And it was completely unnecessary."

With the real story being "a bit more basketball related" why didn't IU basketball simply say that and move on? Would it be possible for @The Daily Hoosierto put out there the basketball related reasons for Fife's firing?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Thanks for sharing. From the article the author says about Fife's firing that "the real story is a bit more basketball related than what is out there.  But the damage was done.  And it was completely unnecessary."

With the real story being "a bit more basketball related" why didn't IU basketball simply say that and move on? Would it be possible for @The Daily Hoosierto put out there the basketball related reasons for Fife's firing?

The Ed Schiling reference was a good comparison.

• Like 2

Just now, SawatchHoosier said:

Well yeah and that's what I can't wrap my head around. It just seems like they could have copy and pasted how Ed Schilling was let go and everyone would have moved on? 

I think Dane being an ex player definitely had more people upset and wanting answers. Especially since he was rumored to be the next head coach in waiting. Even so, I think your right and a mutual separation should have been the path taken

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Well yeah and that's what I can't wrap my head around. It just seems like they could have copy and pasted how Ed Schilling was let go and everyone would have moved on? 

Guessing that Woody felt a substantial share of fans would turn on him unless he pretty much stated that Dane deserved it.  Not saying that it was the best approach...just guessing what was on Woody's mind as he worked through the process. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

Legit opposing views make for great debate and conversation. You don’t have an opposing view. You come here and inject your comments in an effort to purposely get a negative reaction. That says troll all over it.

You offer nothing more to a conversation than “xj sucks”. If that’s all you are here for, this community will eat you up and the mod team will remove the remains.

Normally, I would make this post in a private message. The reason it’s public is because you take no offense in pushing buttons and pissing people off and it’s clear that the people of this community are fed up with it. So here it is, for all to see.

My suggestion would be to offer something else. If you didn’t already know, we have an off topic area that that has everything from current events, pork chop recipes to Five Fouls comedy caravan. Otherwise maybe remaining silent for a while is a good idea.

I have a legit opposing view. You do not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Guessing that Woody felt a substantial share of fans would turn on him unless he pretty much stated that Dane deserved it.  Not saying that it was the best approach...just guessing what was on Woody's mind as he worked through the process. 

But that’s where someone at IU needed to intervene and edit the release before it went out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If Woodson felt a "substantial share of fans" would turn on him, after he got the program back to the tournament in year one, simply for moving on from Fife then maybe @IU Scott is right and we do have a major fan problem. 

I'd be really surprised if he felt that way or that had anything to do with the release, but if he did then that is an us problem (meaning fans on message boards and social media) and not a him problem. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If Woodson felt a "substantial share of fans" would turn on him, after he got the program back to the tournament in year one, simply for moving on from Fife then maybe @IU Scott is right and we do have a major fan problem. 

I'd be really surprised if he felt that way or that had anything to do with the release, but if he did then that is an us problem (meaning fans on message boards and social media) and not a him problem. 

We sort of witnessed that...look at the early reactions in the Fife thread.  Woody was an idiot and firing Fife was a bad look.  I wasn't in his head, obviously...just speculating.  What's your guess on motivation?  Considering your background, it would be a better guess than mine and I'm genuinely curious what you think here.

The challenge that IU and Woodson have is that a lot of fans see him as a transitory hire, not a long term solution, similar to Bill Guthridge taking over for Dean Smith. That’s why so many bought into Fife as the succession plan. 

What’s interesting looking back, is that Guthridge was only 59 when he took over, but only coached 3 years before retiring. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

We sort of witnessed that...look at the early reactions in the Fife thread.  Woody was an idiot and firing Fife was a bad look.  I wasn't in his head, obviously...just speculating.  What's your guess on motivation?  Considering your background, it would be a better guess than mine and I'm genuinely curious what you think here.

I think he fired a coach so he released a pretty benign statement. You release the statement so you don't have to field calls all day from the media and the SID office can simply say, "Coach made a statement, we have nothing more to say."

I don’t think there is any ulterior motive or trying to send any message other then Woodson is in charge and wants a staff that is fully on the same page. 

All of these theories that Woodson was trying to react to fans on message boards or that the program was trying leak info to make people look bad is nonsense to me.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Well let's be honest.  We were 9-11 and only squeaked into the dance because Michigan coughed up a double digit lead in the 2nd half.  Most think we underperformed by at least a few games.  Next season will be very telling. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The challenge that IU and Woodson have is that a lot of fans see him as a transitory hire, not a long term solution, similar to Bill Guthridge taking over for Dean Smith. That’s why so many bought into Fife as the succession plan. 

What’s interesting looking back, is that Guthridge was only 59 when he took over, but only coached 3 years before retiring. 

Then that’s on the fans. When has anyone connected to the program come out and said that CMW was a short term solution? There are 4 coaches in the ACC alone who are in their 70’s. If we get the program back where it should be, who’s to say CMW isn’t here for 8-10 years?

• Like 3