Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The challenge that IU and Woodson have is that a lot of fans see him as a transitory hire, not a long term solution, similar to Bill Guthridge taking over for Dean Smith. That’s why so many bought into Fife as the succession plan. 

What’s interesting looking back, is that Guthridge was only 59 when he took over, but only coached 3 years before retiring. 

But that's an us problem (us being the fans) not an IU or Woodson problem. 

Nobody from IU (Dolson, Woodson, etc.) said anything about Fife being part of some succession plan. Fife even denied being the "coach in waiting". 

Woodson hasn't said a word about only being here 3-4 years. He's never even made a hint to that. He could be here 10 years. 

These are mostly fan theories. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well let's be honest.  We were 9-11 and only squeaked into the dance because Michigan coughed up a double digit lead in the 2nd half.  Most think we underperformed by at least a few games.  Next season will be very telling. 

"Most think we underperformed" is your opinion. We lost a bunch of really close games and the NW loss was a debacle, but no matter what happened or how it happened the fact is Mike Woodson got IU in the tournament for the first time since 2016. That's a fact. 

I highly doubt he has worried for once second about the fans turning on him. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well let's be honest.  We were 9-11 and only squeaked into the dance because Michigan coughed up a double digit lead in the 2nd half.  Most think we underperformed by at least a few games.  Next season will be very telling. 

No, most fans didn’t think we underperformed.

The consensus expectation for most was that we make the tournament. We did that.

Yes, we lost a couple we thought we’d win. We also won several that we didn’t think we had a chance in. Included in that was a massive comeback v Michigan where we outplayed them for the last 12 minutes.

Of course, it doesn’t fit your narrative to admit that we won the game, not that Michigan choked it away 

Edited by Steubenhoosier

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We sort of witnessed that...look at the early reactions in the Fife thread.  Woody was an idiot and firing Fife was a bad look.  I wasn't in his head, obviously...just speculating.  What's your guess on motivation?  Considering your background, it would be a better guess than mine and I'm genuinely curious what you think here.

To me if you are talking about the statement that was released I didn't see anything wrong with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

That too! Summer time I don’t get on this board so often and don’t care about IU basketball then. 

Hey I get to Allens Creek a few times per summer. Nothing like that mixed cold and warm spots of piss water while floating in your life jacket diaper holding a cold brew and enjoying the scenery.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Interesting take, but it probably has to do with your personal circle.  Most of the IU fans I've interacted with feel like the team at least met expectations for a first year transition.  I'd be really surprised if most IU fans felt the team substantially underperformed.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think he fired a coach so he released a pretty benign statement. You release the statement so you don't have to field calls all day from the media and the SID office can simply say, "Coach made a statement, we have nothing more to say."

I don’t think there is any ulterior motive or trying to send any message other then Woodson is in charge and wants a staff that is fully on the same page. 

All of these theories that Woodson was trying to react to fans on message boards or that the program was trying leak info to make people look bad in nonsense to me.  

Appreciate your take.  Personally, I thought the statement was pretty benign as well, but we sure saw IU fans and talking heads picking it apart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate your take.  Personally, I thought the statement was pretty benign as well, but we sure saw IU fans and talking heads picking it apart.

Yeah, that's just what fans and talking heads do. People like Dakich thrive off of ripping statements like that apart and getting the fans all frothy. It's good for business. 

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

"Most think we underperformed" is your opinion. We lost a bunch of really close games and the NW loss was a debacle, but no matter what happened or how it happened the fact is Mike Woodson got IU in the tournament for the first time since 2016. That's a fact. 

I highly doubt he has worried for once second about the fans turning on him. 

...and yet a pretty vocal minority has.  Chirping loudly and frequently on "fan" forums makes it seem as if more have turned on him than probably have.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Interesting take, but it probably has to do with your personal circle.  Most of the IU fans I've interacted with feel like the team at least met expectations for a first year transition.  I'd be really surprised if most IU fans felt the team substantially underperformed.

It comes from his years on rivals

Just now, FKIM01 said:

...and yet a pretty vocal minority has.  Chirping loudly and frequently on "fan" forums makes it seem as if more have turned on him than probably have.

I think you nailed it with "vocal minority."

I have no clue how the Woodson era will end, but IMO any fan that has turned on Woodson already is an idiot and probably doesn't really understand basketball or how to build things. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that's just what fans and talking heads do. People like Dakich thrive off of ripping statements like that apart and getting the fans all frothy. It's good for business. 

Things like this is why I feel the fans has a little responsibility with where the program is at this time.  Like I have said we have made plenty of coaching changes plus a lot of AD's so there is only one constant in those years, the fans.

• Like 1