Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

• 3 weeks later...

If you all want to see some truly laughable stuff, here's uber-douche twindegrees take on the IU program after Fife was let go:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/re-woodson-and-indiana-basketball.230345/

Comical that he pretends to have inside information and then lays out absolute nonsense.  Good to see his smug condescension fade a bit in recent days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If you all want to see some truly laughable stuff, here's uber-douche twindegrees take on the IU program after Fife was let go:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/re-woodson-and-indiana-basketball.230345/

Comical that he pretends to have inside information and then lays out absolute nonsense.  Good to see his smug condescension fade a bit in recent days.

😂

What is a Trailer City? 

Who's players are paid for?

It was mentioned our recruiting would suffer as a result of losing DANE FIFE!?! lololol 

The one thing I have never understood in this whole discussion/argument/whatever. Why isn't Woodson considered the Knight guy? because you know, he actually is a Knight disciple and Dane Fife isn't? I thought that is one of the things we wanted in a coach? A Knight guy. 

So knowing that Woodson is the ACTUAL Knight guy and not Dane Fife, why aren't more on his side? Just makes no sense. Whatever. 

That board was weird man. Weird people. Just overly mad, inferiority complex bothered people posting on that board.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Perhaps my favorite (sorry, not sorry) post from that board came from abugabby the morning after they lost to Virginia. He said after Cline made the first free throw to put Purdue up by 3, he got down on his knees and started to weep. His daughter asked him why he was crying, and he said he was finally about to see them make the Final Four. 

It's a rather extreme case of schadenfreude, not afraid to admit it, but I'll always appreciate Virginia for delivering that improbable, soul-crushing defeat that will no doubt continue to fuel the cynicism and paranoia of Purdue fans for years to come. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

😂

What is a Trailer City? 

It was mentioned our recruiting would suffer as a result of losing DANE FIFE!?! lololol 

The one thing I have never understood in this whole discussion/argument/whatever. Why isn't Woodson considered the Knight guy? because you know, he actually is a Knight disciple and Dane Fife isn't? I thought that is one of the things we wanted in a coach? A Knight guy. 

So knowing that Woodson is the ACTUAL Knight guy and not Dane Fife, why aren't more on his side? Just makes no sense. Whatever. 

That board was weird man. Weird people. Just overly mad, inferiority complex bothered people posting on that board.  

I think its hard for many to take that Dane, whom many wanted instead of CAM, wasn't what they expected.  I personally  never understood the Dane Fife love as a coach or even as a player.  He wasn't a favorite of mine.  I also never understood the we need an Indiana/Knight guy at the helm and I am/was a coach Knight fan when he was actually coaching.  I have always wanted IU to open the pocketbook to unfathomable amounts of money and get the best possible coach available or purchasable.  I am still not sold on Coach Woodson's ability to coach us to a National title.  But i have been very impressed with his ability to recruit at such a high level and having high level talent does make coaching easier in the end :D.  Can't wait to see how the next few years turn out.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

TwinDegrees has IU on the brain so often, we should buy him a custom reversible jacket. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

😂

What is a Trailer City? 

What’s your definition of “knight deciple”?

Dane came to IU to play for coach Knight and nearly transferred to Michigan State after his firing.

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Dane came to IU to play for coach Knight and nearly transferred to Michigan State after his firing.

But he also led the movement to keep Davis, no?

I think there’s room for both to be considered Knight disciples, but if there’s only one it’s pretty clearly Woodson isn’t it? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Someone that played under Knight for 4 years or coached under him. 

Woodson should be considered the ultimate Knight disciple in my eyes.

How many times have we heard how much Knight loved Woodson? All of that is word of mouth for me, I wasn't around then. But, I have heard story after story of Knights almost admiration for Woodson, and I am sure a heck of lot of mentorship, as well. Now, can't fault Dane for not being able to experience Knight more.... 

But yeah, never a bad word about Mike Woodson on a single IU website, ever, until last March when he was hired as our coach. That doesn't have anything to do with Dane, for sure.

It's just something that irks me. Comes with the territory, I reckon. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

How many times have we heard how much Knight loved Woodson? All of that is word of mouth for me, I wasn't around then. But, I have heard story after story of Knights almost admiration for Woodson, and I am sure a heck of lot of mentorship, as well. Now, can't fault Dane for not being able to experience Knight more.... 

But yeah, never a bad word about Mike Woodson on a single IU website, ever, until last March when he was hired as our coach. That doesn't have anything to do with Dane, for sure.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hey, I love it man. To me, Woodson has a lot of the same qualities, the good qualities, of Knight. Plus has the NBA Xs and Os and player development. Excited for future. 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-basketball-reliving-mike-woodson-amazing-1980-season-final-year-player-for-hoosiers-missing-banners

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, btownqb said:

I agree with this and on top of it, let's compare Woody's coaching background to Dane's:

As coach:
19961999 Milwaukee Bucks (assistant)
19992001 Cleveland Cavaliers (assistant)
20012003 Philadelphia 76ers (assistant)
20032004 Detroit Pistons (assistant)
20042010 Atlanta Hawks (HC)
2011–2012 New York Knicks (assistant)
20122014 New York Knicks (HC)
20142018 Los Angeles Clippers (assistant)
2020–2021 New York Knicks (assistant)
2021–present Indiana (HC)

2003–2005 Indiana (grad assistant)
2005–2011 IPFW (HC)
2011–2021 Michigan State (associate)
2021–2022 Indiana University (assistant)

Once again, nothing personal against Dane, but it's not even close. Woody may or may not get us to the promised land, but his coaching experience is undeniable. Not even speaking of his head coaching experience in the NBA, he wasn't exactly working under dummies as an assistant: Chris Ford (meh), George Karl (HOF), Randy Whitman (meh), Larry Brown (HOF), Mike D'Antonio (2xNBA COY, potential HOF), Doc Rivers (Future HOF), Tom Thibodeau (2xNBA COY). Four of the winningest NBA coaches of all time. 

I pray to baby Jesus that he gets these guys on campus along with any and all players he coached during his NBA days. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3