Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

6 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree with this and on top of it, let's compare Woody's coaching background to Dane's:

As coach:
19961999 Milwaukee Bucks (assistant)
19992001 Cleveland Cavaliers (assistant)
20012003 Philadelphia 76ers (assistant)
20032004 Detroit Pistons (assistant)
20042010 Atlanta Hawks (HC)
2011–2012 New York Knicks (assistant)
20122014 New York Knicks (HC)
20142018 Los Angeles Clippers (assistant)
2020–2021 New York Knicks (assistant)
2021–present Indiana (HC)

2003–2005 Indiana (grad assistant)
2005–2011 IPFW (HC)
2011–2021 Michigan State (associate)
2021–2022 Indiana University (assistant)

Once again, nothing personal against Dane, but it's not even close. Woody may or may not get us to the promised land, but his coaching experience is undeniable. Not even speaking of his head coaching experience in the NBA, he wasn't exactly working under dummies as an assistant: Chris Ford (meh), George Karl (HOF), Randy Whitman (meh), Larry Brown (HOF), Mike D'Antonio (2xNBA COY, potential HOF), Doc Rivers (Future HOF), Tom Thibodeau (2xNBA COY). Four of the winningest NBA coaches of all time. 

I pray to baby Jesus that he gets these guys on campus along with any and all players he coached during his NBA days. 

He also completely turned the Hawks around in his time there and is probably the most successful Knicks coach of the last two decades. You don’t need to look any further than the Knicks this season and the Knicks last season to see the impact he makes. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He also completely turned the Hawks around in his time there and is probably the most successful Knicks coach of the last two decades. You don’t need to look any further than the Knicks this season and the Knicks last season to see the impact he makes. 

When Coach Woodson was hired, that was part of the argument...that he had a losing NBA record...

But if you look at his time with the Hawks, there was improvement every year... 

Screenshot_20220421-073828.thumb.png.dc43ed53324d6a9d1bfc50ef01d92153.png

40 game improvement over his tenure...thats pretty impressive...

Larry Drew backdoored him with the front office, got Woody canned and himself hired, and eventually drove the Hawks into the ground...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When Coach Woodson was hired, that was part of the argument...that he had a losing NBA record...

Larry Drew backdoored him with the front office, got Woody canned and himself hired, and eventually drove the Hawks into the ground...

The Hawks were just terrible when he took over. And they didn’t get better by doing a multi year tank and getting a few elite guys, they did it the hard way. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, my first reaction to us being interested in Woodson was not a positive one. But, it was also a lazy one. I looked at his record as a whole... but jesus he was -56 after his first year, and every coach in the country would have had essentially that same record, so no way you can hold that against him.

Then you look at that improvement in a pro sports franchise over a 6 year time period, really doesn't happen often, at all. 6 straight years with improvement.. holy cow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes, my first reaction to us being interested in Woodson was not a positive one. But, it was also a lazy one. I looked at his record as a whole... but jesus he was -56 after his first year, and every coach in the country would have had essentially that same record, so no way you can hold that against him.

Then you look at that improvement in a pro sports franchise over a 6 year time period, really doesn't happen often, at all. 6 straight years with improvement.. holy cow. 

Same here.  Like many others I went on an Eric Musselman track after I felt that Chris Beard was not in the cards.  Then there was the Stevens 7 year for $70 M thing.  Woodson was just a totally different track that I was not focused on.  So, if you strapped an electrocardiogram to me, there probably would be some spikes when Woodson's name emerged.  There are probably some misguided posts by me initially.  In fairness, though, after actually studying the situation, I quickly got on board, and then was besmused by the national media's negativity and opposing fan bases thinking it was hilarious.  Both of those groups may be realizing how off track they were.  They are just slower on the uptake.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Same here.  Like many others I went on an Eric Musselman track after I felt that Chris Beard was not in the cards.  Then there was the Stevens 7 year for $70 M thing.  Woodson was just a totally different track that I was not focused on.  So, if you strapped an electrocardiogram to me, there probably would be some spikes when Woodson's name emerged.  There are probably some misguided posts by me initially.  In fairness, though, after actually studying the situation, I quickly got on board, and then was besmused by the national media's negativity and opposing fan bases thinking it was hilarious.  Both of those groups may be realizing how off track they were.  They are just slower on the uptake.

I don't think this is unique to either of you, Woodson came out of left field and felt very much like just getting an IU guy for sake of getting an IU guy.

I really, really wanted Musselman as well, I think the guy is an absolute stud of a coach. I think he could have worked here, but I do think for our situation how things worked out with Woody may have been the best fit. He has a message that resonates, he has a knowledge of the game second to none in college, and he has done a phenomenal job surrounding himself with a staff that could make up for his short comings (getting the door open with recruits, then letting his message shut that door). 

I personally could not be more happy with Woody's first 12 months. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think this is unique to either of you, Woodson came out of left field and felt very much like just getting an IU guy for sake of getting an IU guy.

I really, really wanted Musselman as well, I think the guy is an absolute stud of a coach. I think he could have worked here, but I do think for our situation how things worked out with Woody may have been the best fit. He has a message that resonates, he has a knowledge of the game second to none in college, and he has done a phenomenal job surrounding himself with a staff that could make up for his short comings (getting the door open with recruits, then letting his message shut that door). 

I personally could not be more happy with Woody's first 12 months. 

Beyond not looking into his record close enough, I also viewed Woodson as boring. While he had success, at the NBA level he never really seemed to have the personality to be the face of a franchise. 

But, I now think his age was actually the perfect timing for him to come to IU. In his mid-to-late 40's/50's he comes off as kind of boring, but in his 60's he comes off as the wise, semi-cool, semi-funny old guy. The sort of guy that younger players look to as a guide. I think the timing is actually perfect. 

I also love the staff he's built. A lot of diversity in age and relatability on the staff. 

Woodson: The older, wise sort of uncle/grandfather figure and NBA guy

Hunter: The father figure, college guy, recruiter

Ya: The big brother, AAU scene, etc

Walsh: The friend/buddy, former player, etc.

That's not a statement on who they are as coaches, just more thoughts on how they can relate to players. I have no idea what these guys actual personalities are, but in terms of age, experience, diversity and things that players can relate too, IU has a lot to offer right now. 

• Like 8

Love your synopsis of our staff.  I hadn’t looked at it that way but frankly my work environment is arranged the same way where we have buddies, mentors and so on with escalating seniority up the chain. 

I am very happy with the staff.  Rosemond has been terrific with getting us into the discussion with a lot of quality recruits.  He comes across as likable.  Walsh also makes a good impression.  Works hard, knows the game, relates to players and is tireless on the recruiting trail.  He’s comfortable with who he is and where he is on his career arc (i.e., low man on the totem pole).   Kenya has been terrific from day one.  I’m glad the current staff has camaraderie and synergy.  I really hope this group stays together awhile.  I think it’s one of our better staffs in a long time top to bottom. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Beyond not looking into his record close enough, I also viewed Woodson as boring. While he had success, at the NBA level he never really seemed to have the personality to be the face of a franchise. 

But, I now think his age was actually the perfect timing for him to come to IU. In his mid-to-late 40's/50's he comes off as kind of boring, but in his 60's he comes off as the wise, semi-cool, semi-funny old guy. The sort of guy that younger players look to as a guide. I think the timing is actually perfect. 

I also love the staff he's built. A lot of diversity in age and relatability on the staff. 

Woodson: The older, wise sort of uncle/grandfather figure and NBA guy

Hunter: The father figure, college guy, recruiter

Ya: The big brother, AAU scene, etc

Walsh: The friend/buddy, former player, etc.

That's not a statement on who they are as coaches, just more thoughts on how they can relate to players. I have no idea what these guys actual personalities are, but in terms of age, experience, diversity and things that players can relate too, IU has a lot to offer right now. 

In this scenario Fife = Walsh, but if he's going to be a goofball old school guy ripping on NIL and talking politics (even flippantly), it wasn't going to work. The only other role for him would be the Hunter role, and I don't think Fife has the recruiting chops or the seriousness/maturity to pull it off. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

pUKe's 5 star Freshman, Shaedon Sharpe, declares for the draft. Reclassified, and enrolled in school in January. Never played a minute of college ball.

Even though the family vowed he would return to Lexington for the 22-23 season, the lure of being a projected top 10 draft pick is too much to ignore.

wrong thread, sir 

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

pUKe's 5 star Freshman, Shaedon Sharpe, declares for the draft. Reclassified, and enrolled in school in January. Never played a minute of college ball.

Even though the family vowed he would return to Lexington for the 22-23 season, the lure of being a projected top 10 draft pick is too much to ignore.

Can't say I feel sorry for Cal and Kentucky with how things turned out with  Sharpe. Cal recycles players every year so this is funny that he never played a second for them.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

347254665_Calipariupset.jpg.35650c4ea363d7796ef7b9df74ecec96.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

He’s also had a chance to expand that contact list of big NBA names that respect the hell out of him, and that list wasn’t short to begin with. 

I think that’s probably his biggest selling point to recruits: “Wanna get to the League? I know the League, and they know me.” 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Dane just can’t let it go. Now this rag is saying mean spirited fans kept him from getting hired. Good grief. 

1 minute ago, Victobmyboy said:

Dane just can’t let it go. Now this rag is saying mean spirited fans kept him from getting hired. Good grief. 

You apparently read a different article than I did.  I saw nothing that pinned this on the fans.  

I did read this though.  

Fife did think it was important, however, to explain a few things about the mechanics of his arrival and dismissal. Although nothing expansive has been published through conventional media about what led to his departure, there was a suggestion it involved Fife’s insistence that he be named head coach in waiting. He declares this not only is false, but entirely counter to the facts.

“It was offered for that to be written into my contract. And I turned it down,” Fife told TSN. “I can with 100 percent confidence tell you that happened.

"It was very important to me that Mike Woodson understood I was strictly coming there to be his assistant ... And under no circumstance was I coming there with the notion that my desire to be head coach at IU would take priority over being a hard-working, loyal assistant to Coach Woodson.

"It was going to be difficult enough enduring the tough times throughout the season without dealing with the notion of the 'heir apparent' looming over us."