Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If anything, doesn't it seem like that is the opposite of his style and one of the reasons Fife wasn't a good fit? 

Exactly. Goes back to the thing about most NBA coaches not wanting assistants to speak to the media. 

To me, Woodson seems like someone who is going to be pretty tight on what gets out, and certainly not someone that is going to essentially launch a smear campaign. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The DD show today is going to be interesting. Jake Query this morning made it sound like both sides were at fault. 

Yeah, at the end of the day I think the truth will probably be that both sides could have done some things better to try to resolve the situation. Like most things in life, things like this are rarely black and white, but gray. I think what many can agree on is that both of these men love IU and I hope they put IU first and not have a public spectacle about which side is right. I have to think that would serve both of them well moving forward.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hate it when Dan and I are on the same side.  Makes me question my sanity lol.  

He will probably go too far in the other direction.  Fife probably has some complaints as well and I bet Dan is going to air that dirty laundry.

This didn't bring the family together at all.  It was just handled poorly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Usually dont care what Dan says, but am curious today.  Unfortunately, I cant listen at work, so if you dont mind sharing some nuggets as they happen, I would appreciate it.

I know Dakich had been the biggest cheerleader for years that we needed to hire an IU guy but I think it's pretty clear that he didn't just want an IU guy.  He wanted Alford.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is my 2 cents on the matter.

Assumption is something all of us do each day. Just like finding a rationale for something we did. All of us do each day and we don't play it a second thought as we go on with life.

I am sure Fife thought he would be the next coach of IU, even if it was unsaid. I am sure it added to how he acted around everyone, what he felt he could do and not do. Why would he not feel this way? We all assumed he was the Head coach in waiting when he was hired, so why would'nt he?

Did this add to feelings you should be completely committed to IU before thoughts of NIL money. I am guessing so because his love of IU basketball and when he came through. Different times, and believe me as a Professor I see it and sometimes I want to say something, but I know I am singing in the wind. So yea I believe this happened, especially with the tweets, he went overboard. If any of the other is true, especially the recruiting, then he really stepped overboard, but the tweets alone was insubordination.

On Woodson's behalf he came from the NBA. He has been a college coach. How could you not have a little insecurity? I know I would, especially if coach is hired to be on my staff that I myself probably came to the same conclusion, coach in waiting, unless Dolson said something to him. Woodson had some missteps first season, he was an NBA coach acclimating to the college game. Takes awhile. Did Fife and he butt heads behind doors at time, I am sure they did. If you get along with someone, you disagree with them and then work out the differences.

In the end, it was a bad fit!! Anyone can throw blame around, but this may have been destined from the start do to different backgrounds and thoughts on how a college program should be run!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The DD show today is going to be interesting. Jake Query this morning made it sound like both sides were at fault. 

There likely is some validity to saying both sides at fault.  And, it doesnt matter if its 50/50 or 95/5.  You get a divorce and move on.  

Under no circumstance is there any benefit to dealing with it in the manner Rabjohns did.  His post is going to seriously damage Dane's career.  If it's not 100% accurate, that is a problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

It’s always ironic when something like this happens, folks demand to know why, in detail, what happened.  Then, when someone gives them the details they demanded, they turn around and bash that person and claim the details weren’t necessary.

I was just thinking the same thing.  I doubt a generic statement without details would have satisfied this fanbase.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2022 at 5:37 AM, FKIM01 said:

Someone else mentioned that Woody & FIfe are regularly seen out together at restaurants in Bloomington.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, 5fouls said:

Maybe Woody always makes Dane pay.  

Another angle we should explore more thoroughly.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I was just thinking the same thing.  I doubt a generic statement without details would have satisfied this fanbase.

Maybe a geriatric statement would be better?  Then maybe I could understand what the heck is going on down in Bloomington.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There likely is some validity to saying both sides at fault.  And, it doesnt matter if its 50/50 or 95/5.  You get a divorce and move on.  

Under no circumstance is there any benefit to dealing with it in the manner Rabjohns did.  His post is going to seriously damage Dane's career.  If it's not 100% accurate, that is a problem.

Agreed. Rabby went to far. It looks as though he’s doing everything he can to justify Woody’s decision.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is what it boils down to, there was no reason for Rabjohns to do the hatchet job he did, especially considering him and Fife are supposedly friends, I guess with friends like him who needs enemies. Without his hit piece this would have been handled by Woodson and Fife as two coaches who didn't mesh together and everyone would have moved on. Now if some of it isn't accurate this could hurt Fifes career for no reason.

• Like 2

Yep, no doubt about it. Fife was the right guy for IU. Now we are left with pixie dust and fairy's and the world owes us mentality. With the players transferring being so liquid and getting paid. The 4 year scholarship and multi year coaching contracts should come to a halt. Players and coaches should be on a year by year performance based contract. New coaches and new players every year if need be. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

Yep, no doubt about it. Fife was the right guy for IU. Now we are left with pixie dust and fairy's and the world owes us mentality. With the players transferring being so liquid and getting paid. The 4 year scholarship and multi year coaching contracts should come to a halt. Players and coaches should be on a year by year performance based contract. New coaches and new players every year if need be. 

Unless your Dane Fife or a former player then you get a lifetime contract because he's "one of our own". 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Unless your Dane Fife or a former player then you get a lifetime contract because he's "one of our own". 

The money elites and the PC crowd has long wanted to make the big three college sports into the professional D league. they have finally succeeded. Good for them now let's put some real job world expectations on them. IU alumni or not. Getting paid is all about performance not because you think you deserve it. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hate it when Dan and I are on the same side.  Makes me question my sanity lol.  

I read all DD's tweets on this issue and have to say I agree with him as well. CMW is the man and can hire/fire anyone. That's no problem, but DD's point was (if I read between the lines)... just don't use the word 'brotherhood' or 'family' if you're going to (borderline) humiliate a fellow Hoosier in public. 

• Like 5

Dakich saying:

1. Woodson has the right to fire anyone he wants.  Every assistant knows that.  It's a hard job.

2.  He hates the release.  Very poorly done.  Got a text from a very prominent ex player that it was horse **** how they handled it.

3.  Woodson going to a Peegs event in May.  He discusses the symbiotic relationship between Woody and Peegs.  He expects a hit piece on Fife from "Blogger boy Rabjohns."

4.  Dane Fife is an all time IU guy.  As a 20 year old kid he stood up in front of the global media, with things burning around him, and spoke to the world.  Not the basketball world.  The world. He kept the team together.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Hidden

21 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I'm curious what you really think here.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich saying:

1. Woodson has the right to fire anyone he wants.  Every assistant knows that.  It's a hard job.

2.  He hates the release.  Very poorly done.  Got a text from a very prominent ex player that it was horse **** how they handled it.

3.  Woodson going to a Peegs event in May.  He discusses the symbiotic relationship between Woody and Peegs.  He expects a hit piece from "Blogger boy Rabjohns."

4.  Dane Fife is an all time IU guy.  As a 20 year old kid he stood up in front of the global media, with things burning around him, and spoke to the world.  He kept the team together.

I think #4 is BS, Bob. You just don't conduct yourself that way, if this is truly a spot that's so sacred to you. 

And #2.. who? Kent Benson. I can bet Quinn Buckner wasn't ok with the way Fife was operating.

No idea what he did as a 20 yr old. I was 9-12 years old when he played here. Loved watching him, loved knowing he was a big football guy. 

Regardless of how poorly Rabjohns might have handled this... Fife did PLENTY of things that were fireable and ultimately his conduct or his poor conduct was what led to him being released. 

If an Asst would have done this under Knight, I assume they would have been fired mid season. 

• Like 3

Again, in my opinion and small sample size experience from years ago, the idea that Woodson launched a smear campaign against Dane Fife on the way out is ridiculous. 

Sounds like something Dakich can sensationalize to whip fans up into a fury and pull in numbers. 

• Like 4