Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

Just now, jojo123 said:

I would venture to say Woodson just lost a huge part of the fan base. We shall see. 

I just can't understand this take. So the head coach (a former player) fires an assistant coach (also a former player) because they didn't see eye to eye and wanted to go in a different direction, therefore someone will no longer be a fan of the team. After all the crap we as a fan base have been through the last 20 years, that's the final straw. 

• Like 4

More Dakich:

1. Peegs wants access.  "Woody, come speak at my golf outing."  The result is the Peegs team is obsequious to Woody and the program.

2. Peegs should do an expose about the five players suspended.  But Woody doesn't want that, so they won't do it.  But they will be happy to work up an expose on Fife's departure.

3.  Fife is not against the NIL.  That's stupid.

4.  It's false that Fife is a bad recruiter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Again, in my opinion and small sample size experience from years ago, the idea that Woodson launched a smear campaign against Dane Fife on the way out is ridiculous. 

Sounds like something Dakich can sensationalize to whip fans up into a fury and pull in numbers. 

While I am not the biggest Woodson fan, kind of 50/50 on him, he doesn't seem like the kind of person that would launch a smear campaign on someone. This is all Rabjohns doing, and now Dakich is going to jump in on it and get fans going like you said. This would have been kept in house without Rabby running his trap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

While I am not the biggest Woodson fan, kind of 50/50 on him, he doesn't seem like the kind of person that would launch a smear campaign on someone. This is all Rabjohns doing, and now Dakich is going to jump in on it and get fans going like you said. This would have been kept in house without Rabby running his trap.

Dakich should speak for himself but I don't think he is saying that Woody explicitly launched a smear campaign.

What he is saying is that Peegs (the business) is obsequious to Woody and the program because their business relies on it.  Their business model requires access.  So they need to please Woody and the program.  If that requires them to crank out a hatchet job in a servile way without Woody telling them to do it, so be it.  Their requirement for access supersedes everything else.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

4.  Dane Fife is an all time IU guy.  As a 20 year old kid he stood up in front of the global media, with things burning around him, and spoke to the world.  Not the basketball world.  The world. He kept the team together.

It's a good thing he's not resorting to ridiculous hyperbole. THE ENTIRE WORLD! I'm sure Osama Bin Laden was fixed to his television watching to see what would happen at IU. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich should speak for himself but I don't think he is saying that Woody explicitly launched a smear campaign.

What he is saying is that Peegs (the business) is obsequious to Woody and the program because their business relies on it.  Their business model requires access.  So they need to please Woody and the program.  If that requires them to crank out a hatchet job in a servile way without Woody telling them to do it.

Where do you think they are getting it? JD Campbell most likely. It is similar to when Crean was in trouble.  Campbell would threaten losing access to Peegs and others if they didn’t tone it down.  IU is screwing this up royally and it’s not a good look for them.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What he is saying is that Peegs (the business) is obsequious to Woody and the program because their business relies on it.  Their business model requires access.  So they need to please Woody and the program.  If that requires them to crank out a hatchet job in a servile way without Woody telling them to do it.

I can go along with that. 

I'll be real though.. I think Woodson made the press release, and then has been recruiting/evaluating since. We and DD have made this into a MUCH bigger deal then it is. And again, I said we.. including me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

It's a good thing he's not resorting to ridiculous hyperbole. THE ENTIRE WORLD! I'm sure Osama Bin Laden was fixed to his television watching to see what would happen at IU. 

His point is that it extended past basketball.  This was a news event not a sports event.  The public interest went way past a basketball story.  Fife does deserve credit for that.  Not easy for a 20 year old kid to do.

Just now, btownqb said:

I'll be real though.. I think Woodson made the press release, and then has been recruiting/evaluating since. We and DD have made this into a MUCH bigger deal then it is. And again, I said we.. including me. 

No IU is pushing the narrative at Peegs.  Dakich who I dislike isn’t wrong about Rabjohns. He is pushing a narrative for IU and most likely coming down from Campbell.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This is definitely on Peegs, to keep the higher ups at IU happy and to keep their access. My issue with Dakich is that he is going to jump on it like a rabid dog to whichever side will get him ratings.

• Like 1

Just now, IU_Realist said:

No IU is pushing the narrative at Peegs.  Dakich who I dislike isn’t wrong about Rabjohns. He is pushing a narrative for IU and most likely coming down from Campbell.  

I think, Woodson made the press release. Then he went back to work. Coaches move on from jobs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Lol, yep.  That's why we need something new to fixate on: new assistant, portal signing, recruit commitment.  

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I think, Woodson made the press release. Then he went back to work. Coaches move on from jobs. 

Did I mention Woodson? I mentioned JD Campbell who is a human excrement BTW. He will threaten reporters, etc if IU doesn’t like what they say. This is an access thing and it’s being pushed down by IU.  

Did I mention Woodson? I mentioned JD Campbell who is a human excrement BTW. He will threaten reporters, etc if IU doesn’t like what they say. This is an access thing and it’s being pushed down by IU.  

Why did you quote me? I mentioned Woodson the entire time. I never said anything about "iu" or JD Campbell? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why did you quote me? I mentioned Woodson the entire time. I never said anything about "iu" or JD Campbell? 

You are saying it’s People other than IU making this bigger than what it is.  The only one doing that right now is IU and pushing it down to Rabjohns. In pure IU stupidity they are making it worse. 

Edited by IU_Realist

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

His point is that it extended past basketball.  This was a news event not a sports event.  The public interest went way past a basketball story.  Fife does deserve credit for that.  Not easy for a 20 year old kid to do.

How? A basketball player on a basketball team wanted the current coach to be hired full time, and the team was "prepared to quit" or whatever if that didn't happen. In short, they all threw a tantrum unless they got what they wanted. That's all it was, and I was on the East Coast at the time, and no one here knew about it or cared when I would explain it. 

I also get that you're just the messenger, so not aiming responses at you personally, just in general. I should just figure out a way to filter anything related to Dakich, because I think people like him are just kind of pathetic in a number of ways. 

• Like 3

You are saying it’s People other than IU making this bigger than what it is.  The only one doing that right now is IU and pushing it down to Rabjohns. 

Ok. 

So... Woodson made the press release and hasn't thought about it sense. That's my opinion. 

I never said WHO was making it a big deal. Its sure as s*** not Woodson though. 

I'm pretty stunned how many people are respecting (and even appreciating) this firing considering how its going down. Mike goes out of his way to explain hes being fired and hes not a fit, Rabjohns is given info that damages Fife's character on his way out, and we send an all-time hoosier packing after 1 year after preaching about bridging the past.

If he's insubordinate and constantly mentioning politics I dont think that has a place in a coaching staff either, but I dont know why Mike goes the extra step to specify that he was fired. It just seems intentionally abrasive. The fact that Rabjohns even leaked something like that is going to damage our reputation for future assistant hires unless its some Mike Woodson yes-man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1