Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

Just now, IUBBx5Banners said:

Every 3rd party IU media outlet (ITH, R&R, etc.) has all either confirmed or strongly hinted at the accuracy of what was posted by Rabjohns. Is it really a “hatchet job” if it’s the truth? 

Just a thought..what if what Rabjohns posted was a sanitized version of events? 

Usually these things are more in the middle when it is made so public. IU is trying to validate firing one of their own and doing a very poor job of it.  

Just now, Bushmage said:

I'm pretty stunned how many people are respecting (and even appreciating) this firing considering how its going down. Mike goes out of his way to explain hes being fired and hes not a fit, Rabjohns is given info that damages Fife's character on his way out, and we send an all-time hoosier packing after 1 year after preaching about bridging the past.

If he's insubordinate and constantly mentioning politics I dont think that has a place in a coaching staff either, but I dont know why Mike goes the extra step to specify that he was fired. It just seems intentionally abrasive. The fact that Rabjohns even leaked something like that is going to damage our reputation for future assistant hires unless its some Mike Woodson yes-man.

IU has mishandled everything from what it sounds like. Having the assistants in there and then hiring consultants who Woodson values more.  It’s a crap show.  This looks really bad for IU.  Wittman and the others need to be shown the door as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

38 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I would venture to say Woodson just lost a huge part of the fan base. We shall see. 

I stick with a simple formula: 

1. If CMW does not win much in the next year or two, then this will be "the start of the end" for people that wish to think that way. 
  2. If CMW does win over the next year or two, then no one will care. 
Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

More Dakich:

1. Peegs wants access.  "Woody, come speak at my golf outing."  The result is the Peegs team is obsequious to Woody and the program.

2. Peegs should do an expose about the five players suspended.  But Woody doesn't want that, so they won't do it.  But they will be happy to work up an expose on Fife's departure.

3.  Fife is not against the NIL.  That's stupid.

4.  It's false that Fife is a bad recruiter.  

1. Probably true, who wouldn't want access to the team they cover?

2. Of course Woody doesn't want that, what coach would.

3. He did a very poor job of communicating this point if it is the case. 

4. Who has he landed at IU?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Usually these things are more in the middle when it is made so public. IU is trying to validate firing one of their own and doing a very poor job of it.  

I don’t think IU really cares to validate it. It’s Dane Fife. Outside of a small group of crazies like us, it doesn’t resonate. 

I still think that most people probably don’t want to believe what has been posted and confirmed by numerous insiders because frankly, it sucks. That doesn’t mean it isn’t true. 

• Like 8

Just now, IUBBx5Banners said:

I don’t think IU really cares to validate it. It’s Dane Fife. Outside of a small group of crazies like us, it doesn’t resonate. 

I still think that most people probably don’t want to believe what has been posted and confirmed by numerous insiders because frankly, it sucks. That doesn’t mean it isn’t true. 

100%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

The problem is both most likely have some validity.  I know Fife was complaining about Woodson awhile back ago. He was complaining about Wittman, Todd and Hill.  Too much input.  Assistants being ignored. 

I think most likely Fife has some MAGA in him that rubbed people the wrong way. He commented about masks earlier in the season. 

if I was IU I would hire Adams or promote Walsh who will make a fantastic assistant some day.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1. Probably true, who wouldn't want access to the team they cover?

2. Of course Woody doesn't want that, what coach would.

3. He did a very poor job of communicating this point if it is the case. 

4. Who has he landed at IU?

Interesting question on 4.  I thought he had Cupps based on geography.  But one link I saw said it was Brian Walsh and Coach Ya.  

That highlights even more that we need to keep Ya.  I hope we do.  He’s got a long list of successes in one year.  IU, step up on this one.  

• Like 4

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting question on 4.  I thought he had Cupps based on geography.  But one link I saw said it was Brian Walsh and Coach Ya.  

That highlights even more that we need to keep Ya.  I hope we do.  He’s got a long list of successes in one year.  IU, step up on this one.  

Walsh was the guy for Cupps. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We should have saved some money form CAM's new hiring, maybe we can boost a couple of assistants' salaries

14 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Fact or fiction? This has done severe damage to Fifes career. Now with all the media hype involved the IU AD will be left cleaning up this mess. The foundation has just about eroded. 

I think this is whole thing is blown way out of proportion. all of 15 people know or really even care about this outside of IU fans and people on the various IU boards. 

It didnt work. For one reason or another. Assistant coaches come and they go. I dont know why an assistant coach leaves any other program, and frankly i couldnt care less.... of other teams assistant coaches. 

Edited by ledies22
clarification
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I'm pretty stunned how many people are respecting (and even appreciating) this firing considering how its going down. Mike goes out of his way to explain hes being fired and hes not a fit, Rabjohns is given info that damages Fife's character on his way out, and we send an all-time hoosier packing after 1 year after preaching about bridging the past.

If he's insubordinate and constantly mentioning politics I dont think that has a place in a coaching staff either, but I dont know why Mike goes the extra step to specify that he was fired. It just seems intentionally abrasive. The fact that Rabjohns even leaked something like that is going to damage our reputation for future assistant hires unless its some Mike Woodson yes-man.

I thought the press release was fine, personally. 

You can take issue with Rabjohns for posting what he did, but it seems to be true at this point. 

To use an analogy, if you're a crappy spouse and cheat on him/her, then you're the one that let the family down not the person that told people what you did. I still like Fife at this point, but he is the one that let IU down here not the other way around. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Every 3rd party IU media outlet (ITH, R&R, etc.) has all either confirmed or strongly hinted at the accuracy of what was posted by Rabjohns. Is it really a “hatchet job” if it’s the truth? 

Just a thought..what if what Rabjohns posted was a sanitized version of events? 

Even if it is 100% true, saying "Based on what I have personally observed, as well as what I have heard from trusted sources, the coaching change appears to be justified" would have gotten the message out.

The majority of IU fans understand that Rabby has inside information.  Between what Woodson said and what I suggested Rabby should have said above would have made it clear that a divorce was in order.

Divorce details, no matter how sensational,  dont need to be aired publicly.

Yes I was married, and yes the stewardess was on the clock during that flight to London.  But, it wasn't the business of the nosy lady in 37B.  

Hypothetical story, of course.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Speaking of Ya has there been any news on if he is leaving for Louisville? I've been extremely busy lately, so I am kind of out of the loop on CBB news somewhat.