Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For me there is a big difference in 'talking' politics and 'pushing a narrative'.

I wish my dad were still alive.  He and I could talk politics and not let it become a fight.  I have no one else in my family I can do that with. I gave up years ago.

Which did Dane do, if either?  I dont know.  But, it's entirely possible different people that heard the exact same thing absorbed it differently.

As society tries to be more politically correct, it sometimes sets boundaries that are impossible to stay within.

Well said.  My dad is old now but we inevitably talk politics.  We don't agree on too much and it can get slightly intense, but it's totally fine.  There is an Alex Keaton and his dad quality to it.  

When we were younger, I feel like people could talk politics, disagree, and then laugh it off and go get a drink.  

For some reason, we seem to have lost that.  I think there are extremes on both sides that are holding the rest of us hostage.  The news channels don't help and people watch them like entertainment like sheep.  

Last comment.  I don't believe in the notion that you must believe every single concept of a party like a nice, neat box.  There is way too much nuance and more independent thought is needed.  Heck, people get riled up against their own interest because the team they identify with convinces them so.  

I just don't think any of this is healthy.

If I released all my views, I bet every single person here would want to hurl something at me about some points and nominate me for citizen of the year on other points.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I think Fife's own NIL rant gives pretty solid evidence that he wasn't the easiest guy to work with.  In today's day and age, when colleges are trying to figure this stuff out and sell their school to the best recruits, Fife's posts were not wise.  

You can only imagine how Coach Knight would feel about this if the NIL thing happened when he was still coaching…. Heck, I remember on his early years of coaching, he frowned on his players dunking the ball and was against adding the 3 pt shot to the game. 

Just now, Blazin Hazin said:

I think the whole "coach in waiting" was weird and a bad idea.  I'm not sure if the administration brought it up to get Fife here, or if Fife just made it up, but it's just a bad idea to have anyone discussed as the "coach in waiting" when he's working with people he's never worked with before.

If anyone in the administration expected the majority of IU fans to come to any conclusion other than Fife was 'coach in waiting', then that was a very shortsighted conclusion.

Whether the fans should have thought that or not isn't the point.  They were going to, and the administration should have anticipated that.

8 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I think the whole "coach in waiting" was weird and a bad idea.  I'm not sure if the administration brought it up to get Fife here, or if Fife just made it up, but it's just a bad idea to have anyone discussed as the "coach in waiting" when he's working with people he's never worked with before.

Sounds like it was absolutely cooked up by the fans.  Both Fife and IU say it was never a thing.

...but yeah...I could see where fans would leap to that conclusion.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You can only imagine how Coach Knight would feel about this if the NIL thing happened when he was still coaching…. Heck, I remember on his early years of coaching, he frowned on his players dunking the ball and was against adding the 3 pt shot to the game. 

Are you sure about the dunking thing?  I distinctly remember him saying that he liked dunks because they were the highest percentage shots in basketball.  😀

Edited by BobSaccamanno

28 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I sure wish there was a verified “fact” list at the top of the page we could follow because there’s a lot of people talking in “absolutes” on here and I’m fairly certain (don’t give a hoot who the sources are - - - unless they are Woody and Fife themselves - - and there would still be he said he said) nobody knows the whole story. 🍿 

Get outta here being sensible 😂 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Are you sure about the dunking thing?  I distinctly remember him saying that he liked dunks because they were the highest percentage shots in basketball.  😀

I think he didn't like the "showboating" sort of dunk, especially if the guy ended up missing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most of us have politics fatigue. Our country is polarized and it has even pervaded deep into churches and religious organizations. My theory is that the spread of social media 10-15 years ago has changed discourse, and not for the better. We are no longer able to discuss our beliefs openly, and now days there is fear of being blacklisted, canceled or whatever they call it. I think most of us are older guys, and mature enough to handle different points of view, however, this is about basketball and IU basketball at that. It used to be fun to talk that way, as men, in the barber shops and town squares and all. Not anymore. So, to me, it doesn’t really have a place in our workplaces, and also on message boards about our favorite escape- IU basketball. ( is it really my favorite anymore????) 

in this situation, there are some connotations that this polarization filtered into some of the reasons Dane Fife was let go. Unless Dane or Coach tells us directly, we should try our best to let it go, or go to the political forum and have at it. There seem to be other legitimate reasons he was let go, including that it just wasn’t a good fit. For my part, I think all of this is really fun, believe it or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Knight would first be upset with an Asst that didn't follow his orders. I have no clue though. Woodson played for Knight, so he should know how Knight would have handled it.

Isn't Knight really close with Coach Woodson? 

I don't understand where some lines start and some end. 

• Like 1

Other thing we haven't brought up... what if, Rabjohns is right, and Woodson started listening to Wittman and others BECAUSE of Fife's incompetence over the summer? Assuming all that is true. 

That certainly seems as workable as "IU put out a hit piece". 

Rabjohns being right = saying Dane botched a lot of stuff. 

If we're going to find ways to speculate.. let's speculate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Other thing we haven't brought up... what if, Rabjohns is right, and Woodson started listening to Wittman and others BECAUSE of Fife's incompetence over the summer? Assuming all that is true. 

Wittman was at a H.S. game with Woodson, with no assistants, watching a player. I dont remember which game but it was reported on here. Could Wittman be Woody's new hire?

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right, the speculation door is only swinging in one direction currently. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Revolutionary, he was. 

Well, part of it was playing fundamental basketball at all times - just as a behind the back pass increases the odds for failure vs. a standard pass, a 360 dunk is more likely to fail than a more basic one. I don't think he was much of a fan of either one, because it increased the odds for failure, and he also likely saw it as somewhat disrespectful to the opponent. Then again, this is RMK we're talking about, so who knows for sure?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, part of it was playing fundamental basketball at all times - just as a behind the back pass increases the odds for failure vs. a standard pass, a 360 dunk is more likely to fail than a more basic one. I don't think he was much of a fan of either one, because it increased the odds for failure, and he also likely saw it as somewhat disrespectful to the opponent. Then again, this is RMK we're talking about, so who knows for sure?

I get it. He obviously just wasn't the only coach who hates that stuff. 

And he was right. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Whether you're a sports team, ESPN, the classroom, the office or the Oscars, politics do not belong in most environments,  I have no interest in the politics of athletes, actors, educators, news personalities or sports commentators.  If I want politics, I'll listen to politicians or political commentators.  I don't know why this is so hard for people of influence to understand.

If Dane pushed a political narrative with players, he had to know at least some of them would not like it and that it would create division.  Not a good move when you are trying to promote team unity.

I agree with this, and I know this might ruffle some feathers, but I have never been a big fan of pushing the Christian narrative either. It's one thing to hold those values, it's another thing to constantly bring it up even if 90% in the room are down. Politics (culture wars) are in everything these days, but if you over state them, there's going to be consequences. But let's be honest, Woodson doesn't come across as the PC/woke type, he's saying sh*t on national TV and adores Knight, arguably the poster boy for the anti-woke. And if you think canning Fife somehow damages the reputation program, you're way overthinking this. Head coaches who went to the school get canned (or quit) all the time. Woody was hired as the head coach and will most likely will get canned (asked to retire) some day. If you're going to IU guys you can't worry about staining the program if you fire them. 

• Like 3