INDIANA BEATS ILLINOIS POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

XJ said, "we came here to win it, we came here to win it all, we packed for 4 days, we're here to stay."

When asked about the turnaround in his play, he looked over his shoulder and said 'I'm not going to announce his name on camera, but it was one of the announcers on this show.  He told me (and I'm paraphrasing here), I was the engine that makes the team go, and I need to play with that in mind"

Now, he said 'show', so it could of been Trey Demps, whose seat XJ was sitting in.  Or, was he saying show generically, and meant Bardo?  I know a lot of you guys dislike Bardo, but that is something I can see him doing.  If so, we owe the man our season.  If not, whoever it was that said it to XJ deserves props.

The reason I think Bardo over Demps is that Bardo is actually at the games where Demps is usually in the studio.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

When the BTN guy asked Coach Woodson how did you do it he said, man we been in a lot of close games all season, in case you haven't been watching.  Followed by, these guys don't quit.

It's a process and for most teams the learning curve is sharp. So much fun. Had.to listen to second half in my car

• Like 1

Congrats to CMW, the coaching staff, and all the players. What an effort. Never gave up on the season and now will be rewarded.

Moving on to new business:

1. Is it too early to start complaining about our seeding and the match-up for the first round of the NCAA tournament? I've missed that part for too long now.

2. Time to re-do the vote on coach on the year for the conference. CMW took over a team that went 12-15 last season and could not make the NIT to where they are today at 20-12 (and still going), a run in the conf tourney, and a lock to make the NCAA tourney. CMW Coach of The Year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I really hope Geronimo is OK. We are clearly a much better team when we have our full allotment of players.

Hope so as well.  He's one of my favorites.  But, it did not look good.  And, if it is bad, it happened late enough in the season, he will likely miss the beginning of next season as well.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When asked about the turnaround in his play, he looked over his shoulder and said 'I'm not going to announce his name on camera, but it was one of the announcers on this show.  He told me (and I'm paraphrasing here), I was the engine that makes the team go, and I need to play with that in mind"

Now, he said 'show', so it could of been Trey Demps, whose seat XJ was sitting in.  Or, was he saying show generically, and meant Bardo?  I know a lot of you guys dislike Bardo, but that is something I can see him doing.  If so, we owe the man our season.  If not, whoever it was that said it to XJ deserves props.

The reason I think Bardo over Demps is that Bardo is actually at the games where Demos is usually in the studio.  

Bardo, as frustrating as he can be, was definitely not a homer today. I actually thought he did a pretty dang good job on the call. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Congrats to CMW, the coaching staff, and all the players. What an effort. Never gave up on the season and now will be rewarded.

Moving on to new business:

1. Is it too early to start complaining about our seeding and the match-up for the first round of the NCAA tournament? I've missed that part for too long now.

2. Time to re-do the vote on coach on the year for the conference. CMW took over a team that went 12-15 last season and could not make the NIT to where they are today at 20-12 (and still going), a run in the conf tourney, and a lock to make the NCAA tourney. CMW Coach of The Year.

Since I am high on winning right now, could the argument be made, as it has in the past for other teams, that a fully healthy Indiana is greater than their record and that the loss of Phin and Galloway at key times in the season led to a record that is not indicative of the team's actual ability?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bardo, as frustrating as he can be, was definitely not a homer today. I actually thought he did a pretty dang good job on the call. 

He didn't say Bobby Knight was the greatest coach in the history of basketball, so, no...

😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Anybody doubting Fife being all in here needs to listen to him interviewed by Fish after the game.

Very emotional.

If Fife wasn't all in, he wouldn't have left MSU.  He was in the catbird seat in East Lansing.  Leaving for a head coaching position? Entirely understandable.  But leaving one top assistant/coach in waiting position for another? Can only be one reason.  And that reason is....

April 1, 2002. 

Fife came closer than even Woodson to hanging #6.  Getting the chance to do it now as a coach, underneath one of the legends he likely looked up to as a player?  Priceless.

He wants it as much as anyone. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Since I am high on winning right now, could the argument be made, as it has in the past for other teams, that a fully healthy Indiana is greater than their record and that the loss of Phin and Galloway at key times in the season led to a record that is not indicative of the team's actual ability?

8-2 or 9-2 with wins over OSU, PU, and ILL. 

There's a damn good argument it could be made. 

How about this..  Trey didnt play @Syr @UW, @PU, RU, or @OSU... shew. 

• Like 4