INDIANA BEATS ILLINOIS POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

Damn, that was an enjoyable game. I’ve almost forgot what it felt like to have confidence in an IU team down the stretch against a good team.

I grew up with the best IU basketball (1975 [my first IU season as a 7 year old], 1976, 1981, 1987, 1992, 1993 [those last two were amazing teams and only a knee injury sidelined the 1993 team]) and have often been discouraged by our team since that crazy 2002 run, but these guys and this coaching staff seem to be getting it together at the right time. 

I’m not sure I would have guessed sed this, but I’m enjoying the ride.

Iowa seems like a tough draw, but I thought the same about Michigan and Illinois. Let’s just f#@ing do this!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

PS....Trayce Jackson Davis showing why he's good and worthy of the praise. Had about 4-5 post moves and buckets on Kofi that I'm sure made guys go wow....where was that? So frickin happy. 

Biggest play for me was when he stepped out and hit that 12-15 foot jumper. Has to have helped his confidence and has to give opposing teams something else to think about 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Biggest play for me was when he stepped out and hit that 12-15 foot jumper. Has to have helped his confidence and has to give opposing teams something else to think about 

I'm a few deep but he used the rim about 3x against Kofi as his ally. Went around him on baseline and beat Kofi to the point. His quickness today was very impressive. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I watched a youtube video about an hour ago and the poster said IU needed to win tomorrow to eliminate the play-in game??  

Say What???  🙄

That was me.  It’s not because I believe we are in the play in games, but weird stuff happens all of the time and I want to leave no doubt we are squarely in the big big dance.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Thanks 1

What’s one of the most important things for success in the tournament? Guard play. We’re getting some excellent play from our guards, and if Rob can knock down a J or two, they’re pretty much a nightmare matchup for teams.

What’s another significant bonus? Having an AA player who gets on a hot streak. TJD is playing some of the best ball of his career. Another bonus? Hitting key FTs. 

Throw in a defense that seems pretty relentless, and this is rapidly becoming a team no one wants to play in a one and done situation. We just beat our two worst matchups, and we match up extremely well with the remaining 4. Just sayin’. 

• Like 3

Yes!!!!!!!!! What a win! 

It feels so good to finally win some important games! I feel like we might be in better position then we people think for the Tournament if the committee really does take health into it. 

We're something like 10-2 with Galloway and Phinisee with wins over Purdue, OSU, Michigan and Illinois. 

• Like 6

Just now, BGleas said:

Yes!!!!!!!!! What a win! 

It feels so good to finally win some important games! I feel like we might be in better position then we people think for the Tournament if the committee really does take health into it. 

We're something like 10-2 with Galloway and Phinisee with wins over Purdue, OSU, Michigan and Illinois. 

I think we are in, but I have no faith in the committee acknowledging the injuries we had.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

What’s one of the most important things for success in the tournament? Guard play. We’re getting some excellent play from our guards, and if Rob can knock down a J or two, they’re pretty much a nightmare matchup for teams.

What’s another significant bonus? Having an AA player who gets on a hot streak. TJD is playing some of the best ball of his career. Another bonus? Hitting key FTs. 

Throw in a defense that seems pretty relentless, and this is rapidly becoming a team no one wants to play in a one and done situation. We just beat our two worst matchups, and we match up extremely well with the remaining 4. Just sayin’. 

On your first paragraph, that is why Phinisee and Galloway are so critical. It gives us 3 guys that can create offense, 3 guys that can take their man off the dribble. 

When they were out, everything was on XJ and nobody defensively had to worry about their man blowing by them if XJ kicked it out to them. 

• Like 2